bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Aug 2010, 11:53   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SanDisk announces tiny SSD chip

SanDisk's iSSD offers 64GB storage in a BGA package smaller than a stamp and weighing just 1g.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...iny-ssd-chip/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 12:10   #2
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So, in theory, a couple of these plus a SATA to PCI/e RAID chip on a card could provide a very compact boot array.

No doubt pricing is going to be steep due to the current 'accepted' price of SSDs............
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 12:34   #3
amacieli
Multimodder

amacieli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can we please start getting away from the sickening use of "i" in front of everything. It's so 1999.
amacieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 13:04   #4
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
Just out of curiosity does (i) the from apple products actually stand for any thing?

BTW I totally agree drop the i it just make people think your and apple imitator and thats not a good thing.
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 13:26   #5
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
These look like they could be great.

How much would they really cost to produce? Because I'd be afraid like Almightrastus points out that they'll just put the price up because its "accepted".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 13:33   #6
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
I hope the i stands for integrated and not idiotically expensive
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 14:25   #7
Burdman27911
Modder

Burdman27911 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This integrated SSD would be great for a boot drive on a SFF system or the slew of tablets we've been seeing. I wonder what they expect the 4GB version to be used in... maybe trying to replace the market for the individual NAND chips used in Phones etc. Should provide much better performance comparatively, but I hope the cost is relatively low as well.
Burdman27911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 15:26   #8
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i think this will mainly be ussed in devices like phones and music players

in a few years when these become cheap it will be nice to have 60-120GB of space in your phone or mp3 player
Old 19th Aug 2010, 17:09   #9
devilxc
Biding my time...

devilxc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very promising. Motherboards with onboard boot drive; that sounds interesting.
devilxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 17:31   #10
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very useful for laptops that only have room for one 2.5" drive. This way you could have a fast OS drive and a normal HDD for the page file and other files.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 19:18   #11
DarkReaper
Alignment: Sarcastic Good

DarkReaper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm picturing this as the ultimate in USB memory sticks, only with an eSATA plug instead
Old 19th Aug 2010, 21:01   #12
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I bet apple start to use them for their devices, buy in a huge quantity so cheap, then charge users a huge premium for the privilege.

These do look very promising though if the price is right. Android with 4gb system and 64gb onboard...
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 21:15   #13
rowin4kicks
a man walked into a bar ...

rowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReaper View Post
I'm picturing this as the ultimate in USB memory sticks, only with an eSATA plug instead
this please!
Old 19th Aug 2010, 22:22   #14
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so you could in theory have one of these built into motherboard to use as a boot
"drive" and have your normal hdds for everything else? if the performance is decent enough
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 22:55   #15
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
To be honest, you could probably bundle 4 of these together + a raid controller inside a 2.5" housing, to create an awesomely fast single drive.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 03:00   #16
dark_avenger
Raspberry Pi owner

dark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilxc View Post
Very promising. Motherboards with onboard boot drive; that sounds interesting.
+1
dark_avenger is offline   Reply With Quote