bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Aug 2010, 12:00   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel buys McAfee

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-buys-mcafee/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 12:23   #2
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Didn't the BBC get this story yesterday?
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 12:24   #3
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Hardware antivirus? please, no.

Anti-virus software has caused more grief with games than anything else. DO NOT WANT.
Old 20th Aug 2010, 12:28   #4
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel and AMD are going for the virtual system management which will be real time monitoring using their remote managed services. Every component would be able to tell the monitor what condition its in and whether its about to fail and cause panic on the system. This communication must be secure and maybe buying McAfee will help secure the process without using a third party security provider. So it will be all bundled together. Nice plan and it will surely help link the hardware with the software a lot easier.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 12:54   #5
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe this will result in anti-virus that isn't bloated crap, for once.

(i swear AV uses up more processor cycles than anything else on my system)
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:02   #6
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I actually feel quite excited about hardware antivirus.
I agreee that antivrus software can cause havoc with games, but so can firewall software. And most (if not all) of us have introduced a hardware firewall to our systems in the last 5 years.
This also causes a bit of a pain with some games, but its quite a simple procedure to get it working.

It interests me though that even though we all have a hardware firewall, many people (myself included) don't fully trust them, and still have a software firewall as well.
Intel will have to accept that even if they make an excellent hardware antivirus, it will take a lot to convince people to drop their software antivirus cover.
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:07   #7
billysielu
Multimodder

billysielu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So will hardware fail without downloading up-to-date virus definitions?
What if your hardware gives you a false-positive? How can you recover?
billysielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:15   #8
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysielu
So will hardware fail without downloading up-to-date virus definitions?
What if your hardware gives you a false-positive? How can you recover?
My understanding is that it will "sit" between the hard drive and motherboard and monitor "normal activity". If something abnormal happens it blocks it and tells you. You then decide whether to let it continue or not. You recover by allowing that particular programme to do what its doing. In exactly the same way that you allow an exception for a programme now if it turns out to be a false positive.
I also believe they don't need updating as often because they are looking for unusual activity rather than specific files. If a new virus comes out that is entirely new, but behaves in a similar way to an existing one, then the hardware AV will recognise the viral activity even if it doesn't recognise the file itself.

Or am I missing the point?
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:25   #9
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
OK, so Intel wants to buy an antivirus outfit, but for the love of all that is fair, decent, and good WHY BUY MCAFEE?!?!?! They're not really known for their effective scanning technology whether it be performance-related or malware-related.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:32   #10
Skippylee
Now then!

Skippylee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Apparently this was a mistake!

Intel CEO: “We need antivirus, can someone buy me McAfee?”
Employee: [Few hours later] “Done.”
Intel CEO: “Great, which version?”
Employee: “Version … ?”
Skippylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:35   #11
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippylee View Post

I lolled.

Have some rep.
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:38   #12
tripwired
Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

tripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Don't forget, it's not just Antivirus they do, McAfee also provide / own the popular 'SafeBoot' system encryption software, used in many corporates.

CASE
Antec 300
OS Windows 8 Pro MB Gigabyte P55-USL3 CPU Intel i5-750 (2.66GHz) RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz HDD OCZ Octane 256GB, Samsung 2TB x4
tripwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:38   #13
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Skippylee - my friend had that on his facebook page this morning, gave me a right good giggle.

Now doesn't anti-virus play hell up on all forms of downloads/games, imagine trying to update your BIOS now >.< EXPLOSION!
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:40   #14
Skippylee
Now then!

Skippylee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAWL View Post
Skippylee - my friend had that on his facebook page this morning, gave me a right good giggle.
Yeah m8, I saw it on twitter. It had to be shared in this thread though... it's very funny
Skippylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:45   #15
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
save a lot of people from themselves
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:46   #16
Cogwulf
Minimodder

Cogwulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I see many potential anti-trust lawsuits in intels future. If intel starts releasing hardware which has an anti-virus suite tied up to it, it could block other companies from selling anti-virus software to work on those systems. Unless intel hands out licences for other companies to develop software for the new hardware.
Cogwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:46   #17
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
McAffee don't just make anti-virus tech, they also bought the company that provides the encryption software that the MOD, NHS etc use, as well as offering many other security products, so it could have nothing to do with there (IMO mediocre) AV package.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 14:04   #18
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippylee View Post

Bloody brilliant!

I myself have no idea what to think of this... I'll just sit back and wait, as usual.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 14:23   #19
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Can't they use AVG instead?
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2010, 14:54   #20
flibblesan
Destroyer

flibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens View Post
Hardware antivirus? please, no.

Anti-virus software has caused more grief with games than anything else. DO NOT WANT.
Time for you to upgrade. I've never had any problems with games caused by anti virus software.

Anyway this is potentially good news for some people as McAfee recently bought Tencubed, who make WaveSecure.
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote