1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress planning and project log of a new case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by punky86, 20 Aug 2010.

1. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

ok so i just finished my first ever mod to water cool my pc which went really well load temps at 42 degrees celcuis....(q8200) but my radiator was from a old mustang and it is huuuuuuuuuuuuge so i thought since im selling my old setup i may aswell do a small upgrade and redo an old case i had lying around so there i was looking at this case.... and i was like ok well ym radiator will ahve to be made half its size and the hdd bay can go here and then i cam into a poblem... the pump always made atleast 1 tube "kink" so i was like o waht the hell time for my first ever major mod

now i thought i could copy sum1 and make a decent mod and just improve on thiers but that would be boring so i am going to mod every single part of my pc (except my hdd, and mobo)

heres a list of waht i am doing

1. giving plasstic surgery to a old case
    2. redesgning my water cooling loop( 2 rads ^^ one custom made 1 comercially made)
    3. taking my crppy psu and making it have a perspex top changing fans from stock (80mm) to a 120mm fan with blue led's in it and making it a modular psu
    4. hopefully fan ducts that that can open and close with a button
    5. create a nuclear/biohazrad theme
    6. make my own fan speed controller with lcd screen
    7. recreate the faceplate for the case i damaged the stock ne beyond repair and im changing the dimensions of the case...
    8. remake the hdd drive bay so that the HDD's are easy to remove and a non tool install mechanism
    9. stare at all the problems that arise and slap myself for getting myself into this :wallbash:

anyway suscribe if you like it and crticise constructively :)

2. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

read the rules :) dont post a log, if you dont have pictures, or wip.
    we want to see work in progress pictures:D

3. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

wow relax mate i am busy uploading my sketches and pics on photobucket atm! update soon

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I am always relaxed, but why not just wait to start the thread until you have the sketched uploaded ;)?
    Its always annoying to open a worklog without pictures:(
    That said, i will look forward to see what you upload:)

5. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

ok so here is a taster of what the insides will look like i am still designing the faceplate have patience i am not the most creative person but when im done hopefull 1 or 2 ppl will go WoW

[​IMG]

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The concept looks good, it'll be nice to see it get up and running.

7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Starting a log without any planning at least!!

means 99% of the time the mod ends without being finished/started!

Prove me wrong :) i always like to see new logs starting maybe you should have put this somewhere else as a planning thread though

8. bulldogjeff

9. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

ONE THING YOU HAVE TO KNOW ABOUT ME
    i dream alot yes (waht modder doenst)
    but once i post something i finish it! and in about 2-3 days my drive bay will be finished :)

10. bulldogjeff

Thats the way it should be. I wasn't having a dig at you, I was just pointing out the forum rules.
    I love seeing projects get off the ground, just like any one else. And I know what you're saying about getting stuck in to a project, I'm just the same.

11. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

ok now since some people think this is more of a planning :) i am letting you guys in on a cad drawing which ill use to cut out my on/off switch and yes its of a biohazard sign :) the actual sign will be black and then there will be dark green light shinning from behind which gives it a very nice design and below is my design so far of the switch

[​IMG]

bulldogjeff likes this.
  12. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

nice design of the power button/rest of stuff but I have a few questions:

Why the lights are off centered? and... the thing will probably be big? since I don't see a way of easily reaching the buttons, which have to be really tiny, if you make it a small sign.

13. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

the switch is going to be HUUUGE lol ^^ its edgesd are going to touch the edge of my front panel :) im making the bottom tray this weekend then im off to a local signage company to hunt for scrap perspex.... ps can companies sponsor me if im in a diff country and whats the best way to go about getting spnsored?

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

You can start by posting photos of you making the case. Once the case is finished and you do a good job, you can start another project. After that, you should have enough of a portfolio to go around asking to get sponsored.

15. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

and do u think where i live will matter?

16. Remmes

Remmes Be One With Your Mod

no it doesn't matter where you live, they will send it to you no matter what if they really are interested

if you want sponsoring for this mod you'd need to come up with more sketches, detailed info, and some luck since not every company is willing to sponsor a "first mod"

17. tomclancey

tomclancey What's a Dremel?

Asking for sponsors is a good way of not getting them too.

18. Remmes

Remmes Be One With Your Mod

all depends how and where you do it

19. punky86

punky86 What's a Dremel?

i wasnt asking for sponsors its jsut that i see alot of people here get sponsors and you are all in other countries apart from south africa and well i wasnt going to ask for sponsors (even tho it wud speed things up) it was something i would like to know in future and like how to do it and the whole approach as normally to get sponsors in my country u gotta be a hero or sumtin lol

20. bulldogjeff

There's quite a few lads from AUZ and NZ getting sponsored on here, I think the only reason you don't see much sponsorship in south africa , is that there isn't much in the way of modding coming from there and hitting the bit-tech forums. Sponsors want good mods and people who produce them regularly. It really is that simple.