Minimodder

julieb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IBM details 5.2GHz processor

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...hz-processor/1

julieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 11:08   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I want one >.>

They look so nice!
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 11:09   #3
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
And it actually won't play Crysis *at all*
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 11:16   #4
MaverickWill
Dirty CPC Mackem

MaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run Crysis
Quote:
The Z196, which PC Magazine reports was announced by IBM at the Hot Chip conference earlier thi week, is designed for use in the company's Z series mainframes which tend to cost several hundred thousand pounds and are the playthings of major government departments and oil companies installing Crysis.
Fixed!
Old 26th Aug 2010, 11:49   #5
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
My big bro works for IBM and probably gets to at least see this kinda stuff in-the-flesh all the time, if not actually use it. I sooo hate him right now....
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 12:11   #6
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not x86/x64 compatible. Probably be a bitch to write software for it.
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 12:18   #7
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded View Post
And it actually won't play Crysis *at all*
well if you can get a windows emulator running on it.. it could probably run Crysis in "software" although I guess its been a long time since a game has had that option
Old 26th Aug 2010, 12:29   #8
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
POWER 7 is actually pretty nice from the looks of it. They finally changed to an out-of-order execution system, giving a very nice performance boost over POWER 6. They also went with an obscene amount of L3 cache thanks to the use of eDRAM instead of the much larger (physical space-wise) than the SRAM used by Intel and others.

POWER is also a pretty nice architecture to write software for, especially in comparison with x86/x64. It does have a lot features which would be kind of overkill or useless for a desktop system, though

Also, there are cheaper versions of the POWER 7 available, where cheap means 'only a few multiples of $1,000'
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 12:41   #9
Astatine
What's a Dremel?

Astatine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elledan
POWER 7 is actually pretty nice from the looks of it.
Err, correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK this isn't POWER 7. Or indeed POWER at all. It's the Z-Machine, a completely different architecture specifically made for these mainframes. IBM really are mad enough to maintain *two* of their own chip architectures and build small-run, high-cost chips for both...

Although it shares stuff with the current POWER chips, like the eDRAM cache.
Astatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 12:52   #10
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wonder if it overclocks

GravitySmacked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 13:05   #11
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
I want one >.>

They look so nice!
You really don't.

Z-Series machines are massive, heavy, power hungry and I'd be impressed if you managed to get through an IPL, let alone do anything on one
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 13:18   #12
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think I'm well connected......
Old 26th Aug 2010, 14:40   #13
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Someone needs to 'somehow' get one of these clock it like mad and do some benchies!
Few years at the top?
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 14:44   #14
CharlO
Multimodder

CharlO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I actually get to play... Wait, I work with one. Believe me, I love my phenom 1055 @ 4.2 twenty times what I aprecciate this machine.

Aaand besides, it's far from AMD 7.x record...
CharlO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 14:47   #15
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Someone needs to 'somehow' get one of these clock it like mad and do some benchies!
Few years at the top?
I think it needs to be pointed out that THIS is just about as exciting as it gets on these machines.

Despite what IBM would have you believe with the shiny enclosures - Z/Series is not, and never will be sexy
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 15:10   #16
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatine View Post
Err, correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK this isn't POWER 7. Or indeed POWER at all. It's the Z-Machine, a completely different architecture specifically made for these mainframes. IBM really are mad enough to maintain *two* of their own chip architectures and build small-run, high-cost chips for both...

Although it shares stuff with the current POWER chips, like the eDRAM cache.
Yeah, you're right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_z19...roprocessor%29

I honestly didn't know they actually had a second architecture on active duty
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 15:19   #17
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
I want one >.>

They look so nice!
You really don't.

Z-Series machines are massive, heavy, power hungry and I'd be impressed if you managed to get through an IPL, let alone do anything on one
Yeah, but they're pretty! Just because I'd never be able to turn it on, lift it, move it, or use it is irrelevant >.>
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 17:29   #18
Jerz
What's a Dremel?

Jerz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When you buy one of these mainframes, do they come with the SDK and support to program on it?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../hackertag.png
Jerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2010, 17:45   #19
mctigger
Hypermodder

mctigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmctigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've been working with IBM mainframe for a well known bank for the last 3 months, Z-OS is nasty to use.... but it could churn through data like nobody's business! however glad the project is finished!
Old 26th Aug 2010, 19:28   #20
[- pio -]
Multimodder

[- pio -] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel[- pio -] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow, these machines are beasts! And the redundancy built into the z/Enterprise series is jaw-dropping: Each operation is computed simultaneously by two separate cores, then the results are cross-checked. If they don't match, it tries again, and if it still doesn't work, it automatically sends out a service call so that the IBM guy can come over and hot-swap(!) the processor module without interrupting operations... Even the RAM has a parity table, so the machine can survive the failure of a chip or even an entire memory channel! Of course, the power, cooling and I/O are fully redundant as well. You've gotta love that kind of engineering! (wiki)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz View Post
When you buy one of these mainframes, do they come with the SDK and support to program on it?
I'd think so, seeing what these things cost.. You can probably get them delivered with software specially tailored for your computational needs, for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
I think it needs to be pointed out that THIS is just about as exciting as it gets on these machines.
No, no, no! Just look; you can get ASCII art!

Currently surfing with a 15" MacBook Pro i7 @ 2.2 GHz with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD
Really old school setup: Some random old server mobo, 2x PIII 933MHz, 640MB RAM, Sapphire 9600XT 256MB, 80GB Samsung spinpoint. I've actually played through HL2 a couple of times on this
[- pio -] is offline   Reply With Quote