bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Aug 2010, 10:25   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Paul Allen sues over patents

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-over-patent/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 10:44   #2
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
if he has registered a patent and never done anything with it, then i think he is a patent troll
Old 30th Aug 2010, 11:24   #3
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
this will backfire as he has never used them, and has not said anything for 10 years.
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 11:33   #4
mattbailey
Multimodder

mattbailey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is Bit-Tech's 'latest news'? Must be a slow weekend, this was on the BBC website 48 hours ago!!
mattbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 11:44   #5
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
if he has registered a patent and never done anything with it, then i think he is a patent troll
I wonder how many patents he actually has. And if any of them are worded "*general activity* BUT ON THE INTERNETS!!!"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbailey View Post
This is Bit-Tech's 'latest news'? Must be a slow weekend, this was on the BBC website 48 hours ago!!
Bit-Tech don't work weekends. Are you volunteering to pay someone to stay in the office?

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 11:45   #6
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Oh dear me....

Is he down to his last Billion or something....?

Of course acting like a cxxx, is how people get rich in the first place.....
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 12:17   #7
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
US patent 6034652 : "Attention manager for occupying the peripheral attention of a person in the vicinity of a display device". View Patent Landscape Map.
US patent 6788314 : "Attention manager for occupying the peripheral attention of a person in the vicinity of a display device (continuation)". View Patent Landscape Map.
US patent 6263507 : "Browser for use in navigating a body of information, with particular application to browsing information represented by audiovisual data". View Patent Landscape Map.
US patent 6757682 : "Alerting users to items of current interest". View Patent Landscape Map.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 12:31   #8
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
patent system need changing
Old 30th Aug 2010, 12:51   #9
ed_456
The Artful Bodger

ed_456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe he needs the money for a new beard trimmer.
Old 30th Aug 2010, 13:35   #10
Mraedis
Multimodder

Mraedis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot View Post
patent crap
How much more general can it get?

"Application for viewing colours" <- I should totaly file that patent.
Old 30th Aug 2010, 13:48   #11
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy
patent system need changing
Right on!
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 14:19   #12
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Mraedis

If you look at the actual patents then some resolve to lookups against tables.
US patent 675768
person enquires about product A, system looks to see if company is interested in product A, if so system alerts company.

if this is a patentable idea then a heck of a lot of code would have to be re-written
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 15:16   #13
glaeken
Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

glaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This guy is still alive? I thought Patrick Bateman killed him with an axe to the face years ago...

I'll be leaving now
Old 30th Aug 2010, 16:55   #14
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Generalisation is the whole point with writing patents, you make a first claime such as:

1, A device for entering text into a computer

Then add:

2, As point 1, plus using buttons
3, As points 1 and 2, buttons having letters on
4, as points 1, 2 and 3 buttons also having numbers

and so it goes on, narrowing things down each time, that way if anyone tries to develop a new method of entering text that doesn't use lettered or number buttons, or buttons at all, they still get caught by the first very broad claim.

It sucks to have it done that way but such is the nature of patent law (something which I am, by no means an expert in)
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 17:17   #15
Thorton Reed
Professional ball-buster

Thorton Reed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro View Post
I wonder how many patents he actually has. And if any of them are worded "*general activity* BUT ON THE INTERNETS!!!"?

Bit-Tech don't work weekends. Are you volunteering to pay someone to stay in the office?
I'll stay for free. Though you must never ask what happens at the weekends. NEVER.
Thorton Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 19:29   #16
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro View Post

How hard is it to write a small article and update the site? Hell, I'd do it for free.
Zinfandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2010, 21:03   #17
mattbailey
Multimodder

mattbailey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro

But they work a bank holiday - where's the logic in that?
mattbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 04:58   #18
compmodder
Multimodder

compmodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
he definitely sounds like a patent troll just like the guy who is suing clothing companies for using the phrase "yo mamma"
2x EVGA GTX260 core216
CPU under TEC
compmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 12:33   #19
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it just me or are 99.9% of software patents just pointless?

If i could go back in time i should make a patent, search engine with the ability to create lists of a specific criterea's based on the input entered by the user. I'd be rich!
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 21:21   #20
gnutonian
Supermodder

gnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Is it just me or are 99.9% of software patents just pointless?

If i could go back in time i should make a patent, search engine with the ability to create lists of a specific criterea's based on the input entered by the user. I'd be rich!
Software patents should not exist. Programming is basically a derivate of mathemathics, and should not be able to be patented.

"Patent Absurdity" is a short film about software patents (you can watch it via patentabsurdity.com if you want) has a nice segment of a guy explaining the patented eHarmony "match-making" mathemathical formula. It's basically a simple matrix... which now, in essence (luckily only in the USA ), is patented.

The patent system was implemented to encourage innovation, but nowadays - and especially in regards to software patents - it's mostly used by patent trolls trying to make some easy money. It needs a serious overhaul (and software patents need to be forbidden/never implemented in the EU) if we want to get out of this ridiculous situation.

"A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance."
gnutonian is offline   Reply With Quote