Minimodder

julieb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
64-bit rootkit spreading

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...it-spreading/1

julieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 09:57   #2
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the warning ...but how do I best protect myself?
Antec 902, Asus P6T se, i7-920 D0 oc@3.6ghz, Asaka Nero S, 6gb Corsair, Thermaltake 750w Evo Blue, XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro, Asus Xonar DS, BFG Ageia PhysX, 2x 500gb Seagate HDD, Win7 hp, NEC ea231wmi, MS X4, Cordless Mouseman optical(deceased)..now a Roccat Kova+
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 10:02   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbob69 View Post
Thanks for the warning ...but how do I best protect myself?
Well, I moved to Linux - but I appreciate that's not always an option.

Best things to do:
1) Don't download dodgy copies of software.
B) Keep your system up-to-date
iii) Run a decent anti-virus and anti-spyware scanner
IV) Refrain from clicking links that you know you shouldn't

They don't offer complete protection, but that should see you a lot safer than most.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 10:06   #4
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Gareth, do all current antiV pick up root kits? Going back a couple of years there was only a downloadable detector from MS's website.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 10:15   #5
Neoki
Hypermodder

Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Leveller,

All decent AV/IS products will contain Anti-Rootkit modules.
My Main Rig:|AMD 64 FX60 @ Stock|DFI LanParty SLI-DR | PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI EXTREME |2 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer | 8800GTS | X-Fi Titanium Fatality®™ | Logitech® Z-5500 5.1|Hitachi 250GB x 3, 400GB, 160Gb, 120GB, SATA|Pioneer DVD-Rewriter Drive Black x 2 |
Neoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 12:08   #6
Joey9801
Eric the Half a Bee

Joey9801 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hurrah for opensuse
Old 31st Aug 2010, 12:29   #7
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The question being is, why do people write stuff like this?

No seriously, I'd love to meet the guy who killed my computer a while back..
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 12:43   #8
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
of 4GB - or more - of RAM
What's with all the hyphens (-) all over this news article?!

Hyphens are to join two words, commas are to break up sentences.
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 13:32   #9
LooseNeutral
this Avatar stays till I get bored

LooseNeutral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
More bad news. I've had to wear out some ears and rear parts about viruses and the like to friends who just won't, or perhaps can't understand. Or, more often don't care that they spread this crap around like a friggin plague! A lot of my Mac friends don't get it either. "Hello, sure your machine is fine but your a CARRIER! What's that... Windows won't work anymore and you don't know what to do? I can't imagine WHY!" I wonder if this will take down a Mac running Boot Camp or the like? So, any idea where they found this wild thing roaming about and why the great protectors (Antivirus devs) haven't raised the red flags yet? SShh! Not so loud
LooseNeutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 13:57   #10
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens
Quote:
of 4GB - or more - of RAM
What's with all the hyphens (-) all over this news article?!

Hyphens are to join two words, commas are to break up sentences.
They're dashes. Dashes are used like commas but often to form a differential clause opposite in context or character to the first. In this case though, commas would be more appropriate
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 14:16   #11
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens View Post
What's with all the hyphens (-) all over this news article?! Hyphens are to join two words, commas are to break up sentences.
I know, I know, I should be using an Em-dash for asides - but the last time I tried that, it broke non-UTF-8 browsers.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 15:56   #12
bogie170
Supermodder

bogie170 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So whats the best Alureon Rootkit finder to see if you have been infected?
bogie170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 16:13   #13
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Microsoft totally missing a great cash cow here. New OS overy six months so once malware developed for it - just buy the new OS. They wont even have to worry about making pointless incapable secuirity anymore
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 17:59   #14
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
will you buy a new os every 6 months i dont think so
Old 31st Aug 2010, 18:11   #15
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken
Microsoft totally missing a great cash cow here. New OS overy six months so once malware developed for it - just buy the new OS. They wont even have to worry about making pointless incapable secuirity anymore
That's a great idea! I mean, what with the having to rewrite the entirety of Windows every six months, I think you're on to something here!

Seriously though, security is a journey, not a destination, and if Microsoft's 64bit security principles have been useful in preventing rootkits since Vista (beta builds of Vista were available 4 years ago) that's a massive success in my book. Think of all the computers that haven't been rootkitted due to running 64bit Windows.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 20:45   #16
veato
I should be working

veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Got it yesterday. Along with the other crap it brought down too! The other stuff went easily but this nasty bugger hung around. Even when every piece of AV I had couldnt find it anymore I was still getting stuff like URL redirtections. Had to perform a full format last night!
Old 31st Aug 2010, 21:33   #17
Boogle
Supermodder

Boogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseNeutral View Post
More bad news. I've had to wear out some ears and rear parts about viruses and the like to friends who just won't, or perhaps can't understand. Or, more often don't care that they spread this crap around like a friggin plague! A lot of my Mac friends don't get it either. "Hello, sure your machine is fine but your a CARRIER! What's that... Windows won't work anymore and you don't know what to do? I can't imagine WHY!" I wonder if this will take down a Mac running Boot Camp or the like? So, any idea where they found this wild thing roaming about and why the great protectors (Antivirus devs) haven't raised the red flags yet? SShh! Not so loud
Aaaarghhh stop bringing back the memories!
Boogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 22:19   #18
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post

he'd just root you again after you beat him up
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 22:49   #19
skybarge
just chilling at work

skybarge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post

he'd just root you again after you beat him up
Plus you'd get in trouble for beating up a 10 year old script kiddie most prob or someone with advanced autism
*Xbox360 Slim, PS3 Slim
skybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2010, 22:54   #20
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
If you need to check for this beasty being present....

Quote:
If you did not have proactive detection in place, you can (currently) manually check to see if the bootkit is installed. As a side effect of the bootkit, the Disk Management pane of the Computer Management console will fail to show the system drive altogether:

It will also fail to show up in the command line using diskpart:

Lifted from MS Malware Protection Centre.

Keyword there being CURRENTLY. As soon as this is known to the developers of this crap, then that will probably be "fixed".
MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz ¦¦ Asus Rampage IV Extreme ¦¦ 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 ¦¦ 512GB Samsung 830 SSD ¦¦ 4TB of HDD Storage ¦¦ 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI ¦¦ Corsair 650D ¦¦ Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP ¦¦ Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 ¦¦ Gigabyte G31M-ES2L ¦¦ LSI SAS9260-8i ¦¦ 3TB RAID5 ¦¦ Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote