bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Sep 2010, 10:31   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hynix joins HP on memristors

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...n-memristors/1
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2010, 10:52   #2
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
HP has also worked out a way to make memristors perform logic operations, meaning that it is theoretically possible to develop a storage system capable of performing its own computation without having to bother the main system processor.
That's intriguing - storage with built-in error checking / correction, encryption, etc. would be pretty incredible. I appreciate it's early days but if memristors come anywhere close to achieving their theoretical potential this could be game-changing in a few years' time.
Old 1st Sep 2010, 12:14   #3
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Ha i was just about to post in the news about the new silicon oxide chips if we would ever see it citing memristors as an example of something we'd never heard about since. Proved me wrong.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2010, 12:56   #4
BlackMage23
RPG Loving Freak

BlackMage23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well this was first announced in 2008 and still no working prototype at the moment, it sounds like they moving in the right direction with it but I would not expect to see a working prototype until 2012.
Old 1st Sep 2010, 14:34   #5
CharlO
Multimodder

CharlO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I feel like a nerd thinking if this comes out I'll jizz.....
CharlO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2010, 16:18   #6
Taniniver
Multimodder

Taniniver has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaniniver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This stuff just blows my mind - not so much the product itself, but the fact that its existence was mathematically deduced long before they were ever able to actually make one. The Wikipedia article actually has some nice info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor

That kind of advanced maths is just beyond me, sadly!
Taniniver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2010, 18:15   #7
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage23
Well this was first announced in 2008 and still no working prototype at the moment, it sounds like they moving in the right direction with it but I would not expect to see a working prototype until 2012.
Considering they were originally proposed in 1971, the fact they've created them and are announcing business partnerships (ie are not pipe dreams) is pretty impressive.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 18:23   #8
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well I was hoping to see this tech take off so keepin my fingers crossed
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote