Minimodder

julieb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Samsung preps wireless USB chips

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ss-usb-chips/1

julieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 10:43   #2
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The major problem here being that its obviously not b/g/n compatible. Its a new format entirely.
So, they are talking about televisions; I assume for internet tv(?); and yet it probably won't work with your existing router.

If you are a wireless fan, you therefore need b/g/n dongles for your PC's to connect to the router, samsung wireless dongles for your protable tech and a powerlead to charge it.

At these speeds, IF it can corner the market it might be quite good, but I can't see it overthrowing established tech. (Unless the dongle they makes includes a compatible b/g/n chip as well.)
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 10:53   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_it_anyway View Post
The major problem here being that its obviously not b/g/n compatible. Its a new format entirely.
It's wireless *USB* - it's not for networking at all! It's literally a wireless replacement for a USB cable, between - for example - a camera and a PC.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 11:24   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I have 8-10 USB devices...and none use the power feature.
Maybe the issue isn't so big as suggested here?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 11:30   #5
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
It's wireless *USB* - it's not for networking at all! It's literally a wireless replacement for a USB cable, between - for example - a camera and a PC.
Point taken, but this further raises a "whats the point" question.
Add a wireless "n" chip to your device, then have that goddam awful transfer software you always have to install look for wireless devices on your network and transfer via the existing wireless network.
Voila, wireless transfer, at high speed, without all the R&D costs, and without the consumer needing yet more dongles.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 12:08   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Point taken, but this further raises a "whats the point" question.
Add a wireless "n" chip to your device, then have that goddam awful transfer software you always have to install look for wireless devices on your network and transfer via the existing wireless network.
Voila, wireless transfer, at high speed, without all the R&D costs, and without the consumer needing yet more dongles.
Who mentioned dongles? The point is to have the chips *built-in* - that's why they come with a NAND controller and SD support.

Plus, you find me an 802.11n chip which costs as little as this thing will, takes up as little room on a PCB, and draws 300mW under full load. G'wan.

You're comparing apples to Megatron here.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 12:12   #7
Cogwulf
Minimodder

Cogwulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm looking forward to wireless keyboard and mice which don't need to be sold with their own propriety dongle.

"plug and play" would become "open box and play"
Cogwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 12:49   #8
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

Gareth, I am obviously failing miserably to understand this tech. And I apologise for raising non-issues.

Last question. How does the master PC that the device is going to sync to send and recieve the data? Surely it needs the same tech in the PC, and that means expansion cards or dongles until the motherboard manufacturers stat implementing built in chips?
Like you said, "it's been a finished specification since 2005 but is most likely nowhere to be seen in your rig."

I just immediately assumed that a dongle was going to be needed.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 13:12   #9
Cogwulf
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_it_anyway
Last question. How does the master PC that the device is going to sync to send and recieve the data? Surely it needs the same tech in the PC, and that means expansion cards or dongles until the motherboard manufacturers stat implementing built in chips?
Like you said, "it's been a finished specification since 2005 but is most likely nowhere to be seen in your rig."

I just immediately assumed that a dongle was going to be needed.
Obviously a dongle or PCI card would be needed until it was integrated into motherboards, and I assume you would only need a single dongle to connect multiple devices.

Bluetooth devices for the PC haven't really caught on, hopefully the simplicity of being able to use existing USB drivers for a wireless device will encourage manufacturers to start using the technology
Old 6th Sep 2010, 13:22   #10
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
whats the point in this?

you wil sill have to have you pc switched on

why dont they save themselfs the trouble and just release a wifi router with nas support built in s you just attach a usb hdd to it
shanky887614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 13:33   #11
Cogwulf
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanky887614
why dont they save themselfs the trouble and just release a wifi router with nas support built in s you just attach a usb hdd to it
errr... they have
Old 6th Sep 2010, 14:01   #12
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I think the point here is, yes, OK, it doesn't replace certain current applications of USB because they (very sensibly) included power with USB. It might, I think, suggest entirely new uses that were never practical in the first place, though.
Phil Rhodes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 14:36   #13
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really hope this takes off. It would be nice to have a universal wirelelss standard for peripherals supported everywhere, from all motherboards, to games consoles, etc. Because I sure as heck don't see that with Bluetooth yet!
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 15:12   #14
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
to late make it usb3 capable, then release it initially as a usb3 pcie card with wireless usb in it as well

i mean speed wise not power.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 16:22   #15
Sh00ter
Multimodder

Sh00ter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i can see it being usefull for most peripherals that you dont want next to ur pc or screen, printers, scanners, hell even card hubs, wireless usb stick anyone?? id get one just so i dont have to faff around plugging in and out to do work at home - if the range is something like 10m then i think it will be a hit
Sh00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 19:22   #16
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
Sounds like blue tooth to me. A slight bit different of course but if my computer doesn't have blue tooth then why would it ever have this?
Old 6th Sep 2010, 19:41   #17
Altron
LIKE A BAUCE!!!!

Altron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb2e9 View Post
Sounds like blue tooth to me. A slight bit different of course but if my computer doesn't have blue tooth then why would it ever have this?
Agreed. We already have a standard for low-power wireless data.

While it hasn't really taken off on desktops, it sure is popular on smartphones and laptops.

What would this provide that Bluetooth doesn't?

e^i(pi)+1=0
Altron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 21:01   #18
Wicked_Sludge
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altron View Post
second'd

and furthermore, dont some motherboards already have bluetooth tech on-board?
Old 6th Sep 2010, 21:48   #19
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yea but it is more of a novelty.

This could be cool for all sorts of remotes too by simplifying the connections.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 22:15   #20
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altron View Post
Bandwidth.