bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Sep 2010, 09:45   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
VIA Artigo A1100 Pico-ITX Kit Review

A tiny Pico-ITX barebone kit for a fuss-free tiny PC, but what about the performance?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs...x-kit-review/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2010, 10:51   #2
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Can't wait for the quad core version tbh!
Old 8th Sep 2010, 10:53   #3
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Intel's Atom is seriously underpowered for a modern, general-purpose PC.
A Bicycle is seriously underpowered for Motorway use...
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2010, 10:58   #4
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
I would love one of these paired with a 1tb laptop drive to replace my aging SABnzbd+ box. Oh well, you can but dream.

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2010, 11:29   #5
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
no vlc???????
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2010, 12:05   #6
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot View Post
no vlc???????
No video acceleration, so it would be running entirely on the CPU, meaning it would lag slower than a snail in treacle.

I've never understood VIA's driver policies - their EPIA boards were capable of DVD video acceleration, but this was never included in the Windows drivers and so was only available on Linux.

Now, they produce a board that is potentially capable of H.264 acceleration, but limit the drivers to only working with WMP.

I don't understand it, it's like they don't really want their products to succeed...
Old 8th Sep 2010, 12:09   #7
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder how it does under linux. I had half a mind to get one of these as a linux media centre a while ago.
Old 8th Sep 2010, 17:00   #8
sui_winbolo
Giraffe_City

sui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysis
Hmm, even though 1080p video playback would be nice, I'm thinking this could be a viable candidate for my Fallout mod.

I was looking a previous ARTiGO setup, however this is a more robust barebone kit.
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD | Corsair Pro 650w PSU | Silverstone MATX Case ::

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sui_winbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2010, 17:14   #9
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot View Post
no vlc???????
No video acceleration, so it would be running entirely on the CPU, meaning it would lag slower than a snail in treacle.

I've never understood VIA's driver policies - their EPIA boards were capable of DVD video acceleration, but this was never included in the Windows drivers and so was only available on Linux.

Now, they produce a board that is potentially capable of H.264 acceleration, but limit the drivers to only working with WMP.

I don't understand it, it's like they don't really want their products to succeed...
Keep in mind VIA is really popular in asia, and from what I noticed, most countries that don't mostly speak english tend to favor linux. I live in america and I'm one of the only people I know who uses Linux as a main OS.

Based on what I've seen for hardware specs, the Artigo is pretty good but terrible for Vista or Win7, but its fine for XP and sufficient for even the heaviest Linux distributions. I would not recommend Xubuntu though, thats a piece of crap distribution that completely fails at everything its supposed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Quote:
Intel's Atom is seriously underpowered for a modern, general-purpose PC.
A Bicycle is seriously underpowered for Motorway use...
Couldn't have worded it better
Old 8th Sep 2010, 17:55   #10
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You mentioned a mini USB port for connecting it to another computer, what is that for? Using it as an external drive?

edit: The manual isn't all that helpful: "The ARTiGO-A1100 provides a USB device port in the front panel for quick data transfer to another computer"

Last edited by Cupboard; 8th Sep 2010 at 18:03.
Cupboard is offline   Reply With Quote