bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Sep 2010, 11:17   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Surface in homes within three years

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-three-years/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2010, 11:25   #2
SaNdCrAwLeR
Multimodder

SaNdCrAwLeR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sure... let the man invent a sensor that small that costs the same as an LED then... or is he waiting for someone else to do it?
SaNdCrAwLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2010, 12:24   #3
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Even if they invent such a thing, I'm still trying to figure out what you're going to do with it. Ok, you have a giant horizontal touchscreen display that can not be used as a coffee table at the same time. Strikes me as a technology driven by what's possible rather than filling a need.
Old 14th Sep 2010, 12:43   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo View Post
Even if they invent such a thing, I'm still trying to figure out what you're going to do with it. Ok, you have a giant horizontal touchscreen display that can not be used as a coffee table at the same time. Strikes me as a technology driven by what's possible rather than filling a need.
The idea behind Surface was as more than a touchscreen - after all, we can do that right now with current technology.

The idea was that by combining sensors, cameras, near-field communication and RFID you could interact with both the table and the items on it. Stick your coffee cup on it, for example, and it *knows* it's a coffee cup - which might mean that it disables incoming e-mail alerts until you've finished relaxing.

The idea went further than that: stick you 'phone on the table, and it syncs with Surface. Touch the table and see all your photos; browse through them and 'swipe' the ones you want to keep over to your PC or external hard drive.

Surface was to be a lot more than a flat touchscreen, but I fear that the message has got lost along the way.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2010, 16:53   #5
Darkedge
Supermodder

Darkedge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
make it a flexible actually roll up screen for a reasonable price (say $1000) and I'll buy one, I really want to play Catan on Surface
Darkedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2010, 18:20   #6
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
anyone who has watched bill gates' unveiling or the D&D version for surface must surely want one of these.
Old 14th Sep 2010, 20:00   #7
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
atleast they know its the price that is holding it down, honestly with any technology price is always the primary hold up. lol
Old 14th Sep 2010, 20:25   #8
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Isn't the R.U.S.E table something like that? A friend of mine has one and tried to play FPS on it, it was weird btw lool
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2010, 20:38   #9
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I think it's cool as f**k and I would love to have one, if I could afford it

BTW is there any pricing available at this time?
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 16:03   #10
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
Seems like a great Idea that wont be good enough till Steve Jobs puts the "Apple finishing" on it. Like what Apple did with touch screen phones. The tech is great but only if you have the software to back it up!!!
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 22:52   #11
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If any of you have a real shiny granite kitchen surface, go clean it, give it a polish and then stand back and imagine that hugely reflective granite surface is one massive touch surface.

Imagine playing Ruse ...

Then imagine your partner comes over with a saucepan, puts it down on the touch surface and literally squashes most of your armies ...

Anyway, collecting and sending my emails via granite surface ... Yes please.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2010, 00:04   #12
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
Then imagine your partner comes over with a saucepan, puts it down on the touch surface and literally squashes most of your armies ...
That is the first thing I've heard that seems entertaining on this sort of tech.

It's not quite the same thing, but this does look like a practical application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVD_L...ayer_embedded#!

Notice how big the buttons have to be in order to hit them with our fat human fingers instead of the precision afforded by a mouse.
Old 16th Sep 2010, 04:38   #13
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
I always thought of surface more in a business sense. I imagine going to a coffee shop, sitting down at the surface table, the menu you would pop up along with the weather or news or similar widget type apps, maybe it would sync with your phone to remember who you are and pop up what you ordered last.

Now if you had a business client, you would both place your phones on the table and it would swap electronic business cards. maybe you could pop up some photos or a document on product or whatever.

That's what I envisioned,
also good for playing games and such. I honestly think it will be a reality in a few years as the technology comes down in place and developers create a standardized platform for the technology.

Honestly everything I just said could be done on a scaled up version of an Ipad quite easily. The computer hardware doesn't need to be extremely powerful, I'm guessing the display hardware is the costly part.

Also I don't see how this fits too much into a home besides being a static version of an ipad. Although i could see it encorporated into a kitchen counter when the prices come down.
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote