bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Sep 2010, 08:48   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thoughts On Macro Keys

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/09...on-macro-keys/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 08:53   #2
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
roboform is prob a better solution for filling out forms by the way
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 09:10   #3
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The forward and back "keys" on my mouse are super nice for switching from rifle to pistol in BFBC2. I can tell I'm getting more pistol kill and less deaths after I bought the mouse
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 09:35   #4
billysielu
Multimodder

billysielu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I specifically buy keyboards without macro keys. I play a game requiring extensive use of Tab, Shift, Ctrl - so I rest my hand exactly where the macro keys would be. Even if I didn't play that, my decision would be the same, because I can't remember a standard key set let alone what each macro key does - I'm a mouse-man.
billysielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 09:37   #5
Somebody_007
What's a Dremel?

Somebody_007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm suprising no-one else does that. I do exactly the same. I use 1 macro for my email addres, another for google, another for bit-tech :P, etc..... The only ones I really use for games are the 2 on my mouse, because in the end all games are made to be functional with a regular keyboard and mouse so you don't need say 5 macros to be able to do all the commands easily.
Somebody_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 09:37   #6
billysielu
Multimodder

billysielu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In terms of mice, I use only one macro key - a thumb key - for push-to-talk. So I can headshot you and brag about it simultaneously.
billysielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 09:57   #7
KayDat
Multimodder

KayDat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I assign Ctrl-Shift-Tab to scroll left, Ctrl-Tab to scroll right on my mouse and the button typically used for Back is instead mapped to Ctrl-W. This allows me to single-handedly surf and navigate pages and change tabs effortlessly. When I upgraded my G7 to a G9x (graciously provided by Logitech for free, since the gawful G7 always dropped out), I also mapped Ctrl-0 to the Forward button, and the Sensitivity +/- buttons to Ctrl-Plus and Ctrl-Minus, for zoom.
KayDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 10:47   #8
tripwired
Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

tripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm macro keys are certainly useful, personally I find them more useful for work (design) purposes than games. Speaking of which, I was browsing through the bit-tech archives and came across a review of the WolfKing Warrior. Does anyone know if you had that and a standard keyboard attached at the same time, could I create macros specifically for the keys on the Warrior? So, for example, could I use 'F' on the second keyboard as 'Ctrl+Shift+F' without it also mapping to the first keyboard?

Might have to wait till tomorrow when I can test with two keyboards at work.

CASE
Antec 300
OS Windows 8 Pro MB Gigabyte P55-USL3 CPU Intel i5-750 (2.66GHz) RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz HDD OCZ Octane 256GB, Samsung 2TB x4
tripwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 11:50   #9
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i use my G15 macro keys in starcraft2,
Never thought about putting form information on them, I find it hard to get use to using the macro keys though
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 12:02   #10
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I often considered getting a Nostromo Speedpad (?) when I was doing CAD work. I think I could have been much more productive with that.

Failing that, a usb number pad would have been great - who the hell came up with the idea of putting the numpad on the right of the keyboard so that you have to take your hand of the mouse to enter numbers? It used to drive me mad. And don't tell me I could use the number row at the top, because it's absolutely useless for entering lots of numbers quickly.
Old 19th Sep 2010, 12:25   #11
Deadpunkdave
...why you need a 20-sided die

Deadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use a g5, for CS:S push left on wheel is rifle, push right is pistol, saved me many a time. I have my G15 keys set up for standard chat stuff but I can't remember what does what any more so its pretty useless. Tbh, most of the stuff you mentioned is handled by letting my browser save commonly used info with a bit of discretion.
Deadpunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 12:34   #12
Somebody_007
What's a Dremel?

Somebody_007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
I often considered getting a Nostromo Speedpad (?) when I was doing CAD work. I think I could have been much more productive with that.

Failing that, a usb number pad would have been great - who the hell came up with the idea of putting the numpad on the right of the keyboard so that you have to take your hand of the mouse to enter numbers? It used to drive me mad. And don't tell me I could use the number row at the top, because it's absolutely useless for entering lots of numbers quickly.
Lol I have a sidewinder x6 and I put my numbad on the left next to my macros
Somebody_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 12:45   #13
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
I use my G110 keys in WoW a lot, but not for actual game play, but for bringing up menus and stuff in "down time" in the auction house, or searching for raid groups etc. I tend to use the buttons on my G5 mouse more for actual playing. For moving I obviously use WASD, but when engaged, I move my hand right, and have mapped ERTYDFGHCVB as macro keys, as It just seems to work for me. I have my G5 buttons mainly for breaking CC spells and other trinkets/spells for breaking out of anything that stops me moving (druid roots, hunter traps etc).

I follow this same pattern for other games too. Custom keys mainly for controlling menus and functions, and rely on the main keyboard for actual game play.
MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz Asus Rampage IV Extreme 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 512GB Samsung 830 SSD 4TB of HDD Storage 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI Corsair 650D Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 Gigabyte G31M-ES2L LSI SAS9260-8i 3TB RAID5 Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 13:42   #14
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In TF2 having my two thumb buttons bound to 3 (melee weapon) and b (last disguise) makes being a spy that much more effective! ^^

Am I right in thinking that a keystroke assignment and a macro are not the same thing? I thought a macro was a sequence of actions rather than just the one.
Old 19th Sep 2010, 14:12   #15
b5k
Multimodder

b5k has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Macro keys can be abused to cheat. Allowing, in instances where it matters, users to execute long command sequences in rapid succession unlike a human being is capable of clearly gives the user an advantage over the other. If hardware macroing is perfectly acceptable then so too must be software macroing? Alas, this is not true. World of Warcrafts own EULA states that macroing of any kind is in breach of the EULA. Only difference between a G15 and AutoHotKey is that it's easier for Blizzard to spot you're using AHK.

I can think of a few RTS games I've played that've been completely ruined by Macros.
b5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 14:37   #16
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I find the macro keys pointless in game, personally I find it boarder line cheating because some keyboards allow you to bind a series of commands together and alter their timings which is unfair for the vast majority.

I do however use a few keys on my G15 for desktop tasks such as opening Word or Firefox etc. I do use the buttons on my mouse as well, they are great for using as the voice chat command in game.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 14:55   #17
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Or you can just use the LastPass add-on for Firefox to have it remember types of forms, save your personal information and autofill it as necessary. No overpriced macro keys required!
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 15:11   #18
G0UDG
helping others costs nothing

G0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have to agree in online play macros should not be allowed as they give an unfair advantage to those using them, I personally consider the use of macros in online gaming to be cheating if used in the way outlined by 4rm. I use a razer tarantula for my gaming which as you guys know has macro keys my macro use is restricted to opening files IE:PRESSING L1 OR R1 ETC to open a specific programme whether that be cs4 or whatever not for online cheating
Hard to explain to someone who has no clue. Or doesn't believe you. It's a daily struggle being in pain or feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside. Please put this as your signature for at least 1 hour if you or someone you know has an invisible illness (Pancreatitis, Crohn's, PTSD, Anxiety, Bipolar, Depression, Diabetes, LUPUS, Fibromyalgia, MS,Lupus, ME, Arthritis, Cancer, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Autism,M.D. Evan Syndrome etc.) " Never judge what you don't understand.
G0UDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 15:15   #19
AstralWanderer
Banned

AstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5k View Post
...Only difference between a G15 and AutoHotKey is that it's easier for Blizzard to spot you're using AHK.
I'm surprised no-one mentioned AutoHotKey sooner - an amazingly powerful (and free!) program that can set macros to keys, mouse and joystick buttons. Sample scripts showing its capability can be found on Wikipedia's AutoHotKey description and the AutoHotKey Script Showcase.

For the record, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander which has nifty macro features (and buttons which light up when assigned!) which can be handy with some games - just have to take the time to program (and remember!) those buttons...
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2010, 15:28   #20
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
i do this macro thing but with a fingerprint reader. i wrote a program for linux where all 10 of my fingerprints can do something different. i could scan one and start up a web browser directly into my e-mail, or i could use the same fingerprint and log-into a website using the same account information. this way theres no security risk but its just as convenient