bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Sep 2010, 11:42   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
DLC is better than advertising

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-advertising/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 11:58   #2
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, paid demos, then?
BTW, Capcom, Valve was at the head of episodic gaming 4 years ago. Blow it out your 8888!
Old 24th Sep 2010, 12:06   #3
Memnoch-fr
Minimodder

Memnoch-fr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yep Valves does episodes, but they are pretty much full games each time. Not good news as DLC seems to be the thing now, you purchase a game, but only get 70% of it, and have to pay extra to actually get the whole thing. GT5 looks like it will follow the same structure. I don't bother with DLC, even on games that I enjoy as the price is rarely worth the actual game play added.
Memnoch-fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 12:19   #4
Constructacon
Constructing since 1978

Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah. Because we know how great episodic gaming can be. DLC isn't entirely without issue either.

MAME Over - Custom built arcade cabinet.
This season's mod - The New Black
Also modded - "Got Milk?"
Constructacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 12:23   #5
kempez
modding again!

kempez has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Some DLC is good. People got annoyed at the price of the MW2 map packs, but they are amazing value if you play the game a lot. I've played MW2 upwards of 20 days play time.

26 - Game
DLC 1 & 2 - ~20

Total: 44

Game play time: ~20 days (480 hours)

Amazing value really. Only other game I've got close is CS:S which in fairness, gets updates and user content for free.
kempez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 12:30   #6
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
If people buy these things then every game developer will start doing it. Not good.

DLC that bridges one game to another is good (ME2 -Shadow Broker). But giving us what are essentially demo's or promos, that we have to pay for, is cheeky. But the masses will almost certainly pay for it..in fact they already are. 500,000 people have already bought Dead Rising 2 prequel (apparently).

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 12:38   #7
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempez View Post
I've played MW2 upwards of 20 days play time.
I've played Ultima Online for longer than that...
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 12:57   #8
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Battlefield 2 = 30

Total Play time = 39 Days (957 Hours)

Less than 1 a day

Ok, I did buy SF and the Euro Forces Booster packs but they then released the complete booster pack for free with the 1.5 patch.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 13:18   #9
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have no issue with DLC... as long as you get a proper game in the first place. Not a game whereby it leaves more plot holes than the SAW franchise then you pay for the DLC to fill in the blanks... That kind of stuff would just be heresy to gaming and I worry it may cause alot of damage
Old 24th Sep 2010, 13:20   #10
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
...sounds a lot like a Demo to me though ;-)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 13:31   #11
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This DLC stuff is getting out of hand
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 14:24   #12
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I seriously don't understand the whine about this?

Don't want it? Don't buy it.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 14:31   #13
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post

I won't.
Old 24th Sep 2010, 15:30   #14
sstteevveenn
Minimodder

sstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock

It's not difficult really. The problem is people DO want the game, and DO buy it, only to find it's been hacked apart and they have to spend more to get what they already paid for. That's what people are worried about. Chances are you already know this and just wanted to be the "don't buy it then" guy.
sstteevveenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 16:06   #15
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I'm still waiting for the DLC for KOTOR II - the levels that were removed prior to releasing the game.
Old 24th Sep 2010, 18:36   #16
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4nky View Post
I'm still waiting for the DLC for KOTOR II - the levels that were removed prior to releasing the game.
Next best thing.

The internet is your friend.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2010, 19:30   #17
deadsea
Multimodder

deadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldeadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempez View Post
Some DLC is good. People got annoyed at the price of the MW2 map packs, but they are amazing value if you play the game a lot. I've played MW2 upwards of 20 days play time.

26 - Game
DLC 1 & 2 - ~20

Total: 44

Game play time: ~20 days (480 hours)

Amazing value really. Only other game I've got close is CS:S which in fairness, gets updates and user content for free.
Someone remind me again how much did deus ex cost when it first came out? That and baldur's gate 2? Or maybe diablo 2? The newer gamers are getting convinced that 20hrs is the new epic and that can't be good....
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 10:38   #18
kempez
modding again!

kempez has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Read my post. I said 20 days.

And then also ask yourself how old I am. Im certainly not what anyone in their right mind would call a new gamer, that's for sure. Got to love how people make uninformed sweeping statements

I don't mind paying fir decent new content if the original game had good content to start with.

I'll agree that if a game is crippled at first in order to bring out DLC later then that's not good.
kempez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2010, 11:39   #19
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I playe dthe demo of this prologue and thought it was borring. But I imagine this is the start and not the end. DLC before and after a game release.

Then those who dont buy any DLC or even have internet access will not actually have the full game. Imagine if you bought a DVD and it didnt have the begining or end? It will be like then you stick the TV on in the middle of a film and try work out whats going on because you missed the start.
Old 26th Sep 2010, 18:57   #20
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've never purchased DLC for a game. Fallout 3, Borderlands etc - loved the original games, but couldn't see the point of purchasing extra content.

Episodic gaming is a far better concept, price games a bit cheaper but maybe only get 40-60% of the normal gameplay length (although in the COD series that would probably equate to about an hours worth of play).

The failure of SiN episodes didn't bother me, as the first episode was so poor but wasn't too highly priced and i did play it through to the end.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote