bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 25th Sep 2010, 04:03   #1
AirBud
What's a Dremel?

AirBud has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Help please, My computer turns on then immediately turns itself off

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I was wondering if anyone could help me with my computer.

A few days ago when I went to turn on my computer, it powered on but didn't post, then 3 seconds later it powered itself off. Right after this it proceeded to cycle through powering itself on and off continuously till I shut it off. Nothing appears on the screen and all the fans are spinning.

When I tried to replace the power supply it seemed to be fixed and I used the computer for an hour or so before it froze, is reset it and from that point on it has gone back to powering on and off again.

I've had the computer for about 2-3 years and if it helps the specs are as follows.
Intel 8200 CPU (not overclocked)
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
XFX 9800GTX
Cosair 2x1024mb DDR2 Ram
Coolermaster PSU 520w RS-520-asaa-a1
250GB SATA Harddrive

I haven't replaced any parts in the computer at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
AirBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 16:04   #2
Gryphon
Hypermodder

Gryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That does sound like a power supply problem... especially as a new PSU fixed it for a bit..

Is the coolermaster PSU the original one or the new one you put in. Also is the new one actually new, or is it and old spare?

Basically i'm wondering how likley it is that the replacement PSU has blown aswell.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 16:34   #3
sui_winbolo
Giraffe_City

sui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysis
Disconnect all your disk drives from power and data and try booting again. Also try disconnecting anything not vital for boot and attempt to troubleshoot that way.

HDDs or disk drives can go bad and short themselves out. Causing your system not to boot properly.

If that doesn't work, try running just one RAM stick at a time. I would remove the first RAM stick, and place the second one in the first slot and try booting. Then vice-versa if it fails.

Let us know how it goes.
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD | Corsair Pro 650w PSU | Silverstone MATX Case ::

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sui_winbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 17:53   #4
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Also, make sure that the inside of the machine is free of dust. Clean all the fans, case inlets and outlets etc. A build up of dust can cause this problem (I just fixed a PC today with the exact same problem - and it was simpy dust).

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2010, 02:02   #5
AirBud
What's a Dremel?

AirBud has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well i tried a few things, one being your suggestion to take a RAM stick and use the 2nd one in the 1st slot. The PC started straight away and seems to be running fine for the past hour or two.
So i guess the problem must have lay with the other RAM stick or the 2nd RAM slot that was orignally occupied.

Hopefully that solved the problem,
Thanks for the help guys
AirBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2010, 15:09   #6
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Faulty RAM can be a real PITA. It can prevent a whole PC from booting. Usually the stick that has gone wrong is the one that is too hot to touch.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2010, 18:16   #7
sui_winbolo
Giraffe_City

sui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBud View Post
Well i tried a few things, one being your suggestion to take a RAM stick and use the 2nd one in the 1st slot. The PC started straight away and seems to be running fine for the past hour or two.
So i guess the problem must have lay with the other RAM stick or the 2nd RAM slot that was orignally occupied.

Hopefully that solved the problem,
Thanks for the help guys
The good news is RAM has lifetime warranty and it's really easy to obtain an RMA from Corsair. Best of luck to you.
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD | Corsair Pro 650w PSU | Silverstone MATX Case ::

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sui_winbolo is offline   Reply With Quote