1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Help please, My computer turns on then immediately turns itself off

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by AirBud, 25 Sep 2010.

1. AirBud

AirBud What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I was wondering if anyone could help me with my computer.

A few days ago when I went to turn on my computer, it powered on but didn't post, then 3 seconds later it powered itself off. Right after this it proceeded to cycle through powering itself on and off continuously till I shut it off. Nothing appears on the screen and all the fans are spinning.

When I tried to replace the power supply it seemed to be fixed and I used the computer for an hour or so before it froze, is reset it and from that point on it has gone back to powering on and off again.

I've had the computer for about 2-3 years and if it helps the specs are as follows.
    Intel 8200 CPU (not overclocked)
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
    XFX 9800GTX
    Cosair 2x1024mb DDR2 Ram
    Coolermaster PSU 520w RS-520-asaa-a1
    250GB SATA Harddrive

I haven't replaced any parts in the computer at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

That does sound like a power supply problem... especially as a new PSU fixed it for a bit..

Is the coolermaster PSU the original one or the new one you put in. Also is the new one actually new, or is it and old spare?

Basically i'm wondering how likley it is that the replacement PSU has blown aswell.

3. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Disconnect all your disk drives from power and data and try booting again. Also try disconnecting anything not vital for boot and attempt to troubleshoot that way.

HDDs or disk drives can go bad and short themselves out. Causing your system not to boot properly.

If that doesn't work, try running just one RAM stick at a time. I would remove the first RAM stick, and place the second one in the first slot and try booting. Then vice-versa if it fails.

Let us know how it goes.

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Also, make sure that the inside of the machine is free of dust. Clean all the fans, case inlets and outlets etc. A build up of dust can cause this problem (I just fixed a PC today with the exact same problem - and it was simpy dust).

5. AirBud

AirBud What's a Dremel?

Well i tried a few things, one being your suggestion to take a RAM stick and use the 2nd one in the 1st slot. The PC started straight away and seems to be running fine for the past hour or two.
    So i guess the problem must have lay with the other RAM stick or the 2nd RAM slot that was orignally occupied.

Hopefully that solved the problem,
    Thanks for the help guys

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Faulty RAM can be a real PITA. It can prevent a whole PC from booting. Usually the stick that has gone wrong is the one that is too hot to touch.

7. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

The good news is RAM has lifetime warranty and it's really easy to obtain an RMA from Corsair. Best of luck to you. :thumb: