bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Sep 2010, 10:49   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My Gaming Twitch

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/09...gaming-twitch/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 10:57   #2
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I often lean to one side to when I'm trying to avoid arrows from the Huntsman in TF2.

And I'm told I grimace angrily when I'm playing Angry Birds on the bus, something that upsets the old ladies greatly.
Old 25th Sep 2010, 11:23   #3
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I remember my mates dad was the worst i've ever seen. Stand anywhere near him when playing a game and you would likely get an elbow or joypad in the face.

I used to laugh at people doing this but then I played Wipeout in first person view and my head was all over the place. I guess I do it a wee bit here and there now but that game is the only one to be so extreme.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 11:28   #4
TCoZ
Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

TCoZ has yet to learn the way of the DremelTCoZ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sometimes in first person shooters if someone throws a grenade at me or something like that I lean back and brace for impact, then feel like an idiot afterwards.
TCoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 11:51   #5
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now you are aware of what you do you can do it and think at the same time don't move forward?
Old 25th Sep 2010, 11:55   #6
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"...unless someone else has a better idea?"

Dear oh dear - secure the monitor to the desk, obviously!
Or put a (wooden) screen at the back of the desk to make sure nothing falls off.
Or rig up some nice handy netting.
Or maybe a few judiciously placed cushions in the event of a worst case scenario...

Not taking you too literally am I?

I think we all do this though, probably quite a lot more than we realise or would like to admit. If you really want to upset yourself, film yourself playing a game then play it back and watch it - then realise in horror that that goggle-eyed, fixed-stare loon, (supplemented with bizarre sudden twitches and contorted facial expressions) is what you look like to other people.

Regularly...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 12:02   #7
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I once played the first Half Life for about 8 hours straight when I was about 13/14. After realising just how ****ing thirsty I was, I went to get some milk (I sure do love milk), and knocked over some stuff while making my way to the fridge.

Swear to God, my first thought was "F8" (or whatever the quick load key was), thinking I could just try it again more successfully.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 12:17   #8
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I make a face when I'm playing shooter games. I can't help it, it just comes out!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I - 8GB 1866 - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80 - 450W SFX

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 12:25   #9
shaunboy
Phenom II's are cool guys

shaunboy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Do it all the time when playing any kind of FPS where I'm about to get sniped. Especially in TF2.
Old 25th Sep 2010, 12:39   #10
GavSC
What's a Dremel?

GavSC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think driving games are a good test for this. Most folk will lean into the corners especially when they see they ain't gonna make it.
GavSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 13:36   #11
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I do the head and body movement when I get into a FPS. Sometimes I have tried peering over the top of an object in the game by raising my head. The body/head movement thing happens much more if you play games with a Fresnel lens in front of the screen because the lens sucks you into the game world in a way not possible without.

Having said that, I haven't used my Fresnel lens for a while. Been busy with other things.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 13:51   #12
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by runadumb
I played Wipeout in first person view and my head was all over the place. I guess I do it a wee bit here and there now but that game is the only one to be so extreme.
Oh yes, Wipeout gets me as well, even on the PSP! I'll start tipping the screen to 'make' the craft turn better and then start wondering why I can't see the screen so well.

Although I will do slight movements in an FPS, the only other game that gets me is X3. I'll strain my neck as I 'fight' the g-forces when doing a strafing run and somehow 'feel' the sensation when I quickly have to change course to avoid a collision in a fight.
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 14:04   #13
guvnar
Modder

guvnar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After playing Assassins Creed 2 for lengthy periods I start to view tall buildings with a view to the nearest grip point and before you know it I'm at the top...

...then I snap out of it and carry on with my normal life!!
guvnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 14:14   #14
sstteevveenn
Minimodder

sstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've caught myself leaning to the sides to try to see things that are off the opposite sides of the screen or round a corner, as if the monitor is a window.
sstteevveenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 14:32   #15
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My missus (who doesn't really game outside of Nintendogs)
+ Motorstorm using a bike
+ Sixaxis turned on
+ Me and a few mates laughing until tears.

Try it
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 14:42   #16
Pricetx
Bad Company 2

Pricetx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I always used to move my head slightly as if it would somehow allow me to see more in that direction.

Then I bought trackir! :P Now I do actually see what i point my head at!
Pricetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 14:51   #17
Canon
Reformed

Canon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for president
That was a reall good read, I also remember watching dad play the Amiga games and although he had a room full of floppys, more games than I will ever own, I couldn't call him a 'gamer'. He was the one that got me into Total Annihilation, the best RTS to date if you ask me.
Old 25th Sep 2010, 15:02   #18
Garfy400
Master of the Universe

Garfy400 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh yeah, play Assassin's Creed for a while and every building you see you'll be looking for handholds and working out a route up
Garfy400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 15:09   #19
blink
stay cold

blink has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
<blockquote>knocked over some stuff while making my way to the fridge.

Swear to God, my first thought was "F8" (or whatever the quick load key was), thinking I could just try it again more successfully.</blockquote>

I've had this thought too and it freaked me way out when I realized it. It's a bit scary when you really think about it. What might one try IRL if they were convinced they had a quicksave to fall back on.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2010, 15:26   #20
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I start to shiver when the action gets really intense, but I think that's just the adrenaline hit.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote