julieb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OpenOffice.org splits from Oracl

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-from-oracle/1

julieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 10:01   #2
Grape Flavor
Multimodder

Grape Flavor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great, now we have two competing versions of OO and development resources split between the two. How is this a good thing again? If Oracle was actually harming or constraining them in any meaningful way, I could see this being necessary, but it sounds like they're forking the project just to make some kind of stupid point. Sounds dumb to me.
Grape Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 10:08   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Sounds like they have the right idea, but potentially haven't gone about it in the right way. There should have been more discussion before the fork to sort out all the legal side of things.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 10:42   #4
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Flavor View Post
Great, now we have two competing versions of OO and development resources split between the two. How is this a good thing again?
Competition improves products.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 10:55   #5
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OpenOffice is ****, just saying.

You get what you pay for!
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 11:06   #6
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp

It does everything I need from MS Office, but it doesn't cost anything. What's wrong with it?
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 11:18   #7
Grape Flavor
Multimodder

Grape Flavor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar
Competition improves products.
But does that apply even if those products are free and open source? Hmm.
Grape Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 11:38   #8
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Except it still uses shi*** Java... lame.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 12:02   #9
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There things happen I guess. Will be interesting to see whether LibreOffice builds its brand name quickly and becomes the most popular of the two (like Football Manager and Championship Manager I guess)

Quote:
I guess it does. Even in such environments, knowing that someone else has a better product would probably still drive you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Er-El View Post
Java FT-W.
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 12:06   #10
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Current Browser War, how much costs your browser of choice?
Old 29th Sep 2010, 12:24   #11
aussiebear
Minimodder

aussiebear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Flavor
Great, now we have two competing versions of OO and development resources split between the two. How is this a good thing again? If Oracle was actually harming or constraining them in any meaningful way, I could see this being necessary, but it sounds like they're forking the project just to make some kind of stupid point. Sounds dumb to me.
It sounds dumb to you because you're ignorant of what's going on.

The current way with OO being managed already results in multiple versions of OO!

(a) Official one;
(b) Another is by a guy from Novell called Go-OO;
(c) A third version for Apple Macs called NeoOffice.
(d) Another is called OxygenOffice Professional.
...and so on.

This fork is necessary for two reasons.

(1) Current management of the project automatically rejects community contributions. Hence the reason for Go-OO, NeoOffice for Mac, etc. (This is because Sun...Now Oracle, wants to preserve the code for their commercial variant: Oracle Open Office...Formerly StarOffice.)

With this community fork, we can now unify code contributions from projects like Go-OO and NeoOffice under one major project. (Notice the irony in your whiny post? You complain about another version, yet this project will unify/consolidate.)

(2) Oracle has clearly demonstrated it isn't all that open source friendly by taking legal action with Google and killing the OpenSolaris project. This fork is a pre-emptive move, so the community can continue to progress with the code regardless of what Oracle does. I thought independence and freedom were valued in Western society? But the way some people behave in this day and age; its like they want to be tied up and bent over regularly, so they have something to complain about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp View Post

I hear this phrase all the time from people who continue to pay for Microsoft products. Its like they need to belittle any alternative to justify to themselves in forking out cash for every new release of MS Office.

OpenOffice does what I need.

(1) It is legal and free. (Saved me lots of money!)
(2) It supports more platforms than MS Office.
(3) It does NOT have "Genuine Advantage" nonsense.
(4) I can install as many copies as I want.

Interestingly, it also satisfies the following organisations:
* Singapore’s Ministry of Defence
* Bristol City Council (UK)
* Banco do Brasil
* French Gendarmerie
* Various Indian Govt branches like the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development, and the Supreme Court of India.
* Grafton-Fraser (Canadian mens wear company)

It must be doing something right.

Quote:
In FOSS, multiple solutions promote natural competition such that one can explore the variety of options, while at the same time working like Nature. (Survival of the fittest...Crappy implementations aren't adopted, and thus, are archived and never used again.)

Or would you prefer bumbling around with one solution that attempts to explore one option at a time in a linear manner with each new release?

Firefox motivated Microsoft to get off their butts and work on IE. (Did you conveniently forget IE6 was left stagnant for so long? It has now resulted in a problem where businesses are stuck with it because their in-house developed software was developed in that era! This means businesses are sticking to Windows XP until they can re-do their in-house software!).

Google's Chromium, which is the basis for their Chrome browser; motivates Mozilla to do better.(Firefox 4 has improved JavaScript performance.)
aussiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 13:38   #12
Fabou
Supermodder

Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
At least OpenOffice doesn't get f***** by MS changing from .doc to .docx
I really like your comment mate I wish I could express myself like this too! Thanks buddy!!
Fabou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 13:44   #13
Booga
Cuppa tea anyone?

Booga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for president
Isn't OO better at opening old word docs than M$ Word?

I like it and it is free, I hated the new office 2007 version of word, that really was s***.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 14:07   #14
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga
Isn't OO better at opening old word docs than M$ Word?

I like it and it is free, I hated the new office 2007 version of word, that really was s***.
wait till u try 2010 lol.... took a while for me to migrate peeps in the office from 03 to 07... now im tryin 2010 and... well.....

those *******s.

lol
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 14:31   #15
GregTheRotter
I Mod, Therefore I Own

GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
OO cheesecake. If it keeps coming out I'll keep using it.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 14:43   #16
War-Rasta
Supermodder

War-Rasta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love OO but i do have to admit that it hasn't been keeping up with MS Office in the last few releases. I don't like Office 2007 but I like 2010 for some of the new features. OO needs to step up it's game just a notch if it wants to become more widely used and i think this move will help with that.

From the first time I tried it i thought it was awesome to have a free office suite that could deliver such quality and I never went to MS Office again. That was way back when I was still running windows so by the time I made the jump to Ubuntu there was no change for me in that aspect.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 15:10   #17
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver View Post
wait till u try 2010 lol.... took a while for me to migrate peeps in the office from 03 to 07... now im tryin 2010 and... well.....l
I migrated them to OpenOffice.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 16:36   #18
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OpenOffice rules. I was talking about this yesterday, and I just cannot believe how full-featured it is. Yes, it's not as shiny as MSO 2010, but that's not necessarily a bad point. And OMFG, MSO costs HOW MUCH?

I wonder how much of the code the new branch is going to be able to use? Will Oracle want to hold on the the entire OOo code base and make them start from scratch? Can they even do that?
Old 29th Sep 2010, 18:05   #19
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Er-El View Post
Do you have a problem with java?? =p

Personally the problem I have with it was slower than office. I used it from back when it was staroffice and microsofts offering couldn't hold a candle to it in terms of features. Now I use it just because can't be afford/ be annoyed forking out on a "student pack" for every pc I own especially when there's an offering that is just as good for free. After all I typing reports not producing a magazine on it! Not to mention it also has a pdf creator built in which is handy.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2010, 18:54   #20
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanperry View Post
Java FT-W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
Do you have a problem with java?? =p

Personally the problem I have with it was slower than office. I used it from back when it was staroffice and microsofts offering couldn't hold a candle to it in terms of features. Now I use it just because can't be afford/ be annoyed forking out on a "student pack" for every pc I own especially when there's an offering that is just as good for free. After all I typing reports not producing a magazine on it! Not to mention it also has a pdf creator built in which is handy.
Yes, it's a terrible programming language. I would rather people supported Mono or something, because it supports many different languages and C# is much better.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote