bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Oct 2010, 13:39   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Sandy Bridge overclocks to 5.2GHz?

Gigabyte employee and extreme performance guru, Hi Cookie, posted a rather interesting and cryptic message today on the book of faces, claiming,

'Air cooling 4C/8T 3Dmark vantage Pass by 5.2GHz, hmm...interesting ^^'

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/10...hz-aircooling/
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 13:46   #2
Th3Maverick
Multimodder

Th3Maverick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What? I can't tell if they're being intentionally cryptic or if it's just bad engrish.
Old 1st Oct 2010, 13:51   #3
Bufo802
Supermodder

Bufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run Crysis
Probably still a NDA or something so not allowed to say anything definite....does sound impressive though.
Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 (mitx) - Intel Core i5 2500k - Thermalright AXP-140 - 8gb corsair arctic white - 1gb EVGA GTX560ti (900/1800/4200mhz) - 120gb adata s511 ssd - 2tb Seagate LP hard drive - Silverstone SG06
Bufo802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 14:00   #4
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That would mean Intel are giving us a lot more multipliers than expected if this is a generic SB chip, or that the K chips really will be worth their money.

I guess more details are needed before we know for sure, but I am assuming the latter since the former would make no sense (why limit overclocking the FSB just to give everyone more multipliers?).
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 14:16   #5
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At least they all got their suffixes correct. Interestingly cryptic, hmmm.... interesting.

During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 14:24   #6
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks View Post
That would mean Intel are giving us a lot more multipliers than expected if this is a generic SB chip, or that the K chips really will be worth their money.
Let's hope so and let's hope if it is the K series that the premium isn't too exorbitant.

GravitySmacked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 14:30   #7
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, knowing Intel and their habit of gouging the enthusiast with the EE series in the past....
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 14:48   #8
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
If that is serious.. that's pretty amazing.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 14:53   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
"sure you can get to 5GHz, but we'll only let you run at 3GHz unless you sell me an arm and a leg." -Intel
Old 1st Oct 2010, 15:12   #10
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
will you pussies stop whining about a product that's not even here yet!

/rant

More ontopic, 5GHz zounds nice
Old 1st Oct 2010, 15:24   #11
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Who says its a intel cpu. could be a ARM

In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 15:33   #12
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
We can't infer shipping multipliers or clock speeds, or indeed anything at all about a product you can buy, from this because there's no info on the chip used. The chip could be an unlocked and selected Engineering Sample. Is it representative of retail?
Regardless, it is looking good.
Old 1st Oct 2010, 16:41   #13
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]Who says its a intel cpu. could be a ARM

I wish!
I see the jk, but being serious he says it is 4 core/8 threads, and ARM doesn't thread.
In fact, they take the AMD approach and say SMT is wasteful.
Old 1st Oct 2010, 17:13   #14
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum View Post
I wish!
I see the jk, but being serious he says it is 4 core/8 threads, and ARM doesn't thread.
In fact, they take the AMD approach and say SMT is wasteful.
The ho-har over SMT is part marketing part pipeline approach.

SMT is DIFFICULT to qualify - so some companies just say it's not worth it to avoid bothering. IBM has had its own version for as long, if not longer than Intel too and Nvidia's Fermi cores are 'dual-issue' as well.

Intel was supposedly meant to launch P4 with SMT but dropped it for 2 generations. Core launched without SMT and got it two generations later as well, but it arguably didn't really need it as it used a more efficient sub-20 pipeline though (iirc). Also, Intel has pumped a ton of research cash into branch prediction and data pre-fetching since P4 days (afaik, maybe before) which helps keep the pipeline full for SMT. AMD's branch prediction claims to be 'not as good' and didn't need to be with K8's brute force method of low-latency memory controller and dual channel DDR, but it's having to get better. I've no idea about ARM, but AMD is SMT-ing its transistor intensive FPU for Fuzion since it claims when it's locked to one core it's usage is only about 40%.

Atom also benefits from SMT even despite its short pipeline because of its in-order architecture - ARM could have done the same with its CPUs which would certainly have benefited its more recent A8s, but I bet they are patented out of the market and/or don't have the engineers for it. AMD certainly didn't used to have either and I doubt that has changed with staffing cuts in recent years.

/brain dump
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 17:38   #15
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Doesn't mean that a processor goes to 9 billion MHz that is faster than a Pentium 2.
Also, this is probably the highest end model CPU, with Unlock Premium card that will cost 300$ to unlock even more the CPU to access these speeds.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 17:38   #16
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
wow less than 7 second pi.. that's a engineering sample too- retail will probably be better
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 17:50   #17
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

I can't remember where I saw it, but I believe ARM's argument was over power usage and cache access problems. They said SMT uses 50% or so more power than if you had just added a second core. I'll see if I can find a link.

On paper, I like AMD's module approach to the Bulldozer with the sharing of under-used resources and utilising die space and power to where it can make more use. Very exciting times

Like you said, I think development resources stops AMD from doing it themselves. It is one of those last 5% architecture features that would soak up more development and research time and resources than it would be worth. Of course, it could be a engineering cultural thing, and AMD truly sees little benefit in it.

Edit: It took some finding, but I found the Goodacre (ARM) article on multi-threading. It's a bit older than I thought, 2006, so perhaps things have changed.
http://www.design-reuse.com/articles...threading.html

Last edited by Adnoctum; 1st Oct 2010 at 18:40. Reason: Link added.
Adnoctum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 18:00   #18
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
wow less than 7 second pi.. that's a engineering sample too- retail will probably be better
If Sandy Bridge isn't in a mature state and ready for release right now, then something has gone very wrong. Hi Cookie wouldn't be working with early development samples. The rest of the time until release should be for partner qualification work and tweaking, not chip/process development.

I am starting to feel the upgrade itch though.
Old 1st Oct 2010, 18:38   #19
Krayzie_B.o.n.e.
Supermodder

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sure and for $1200.00 you can get this amazing chip that will smash super pi but run games 5 fps faster than a stock $300 AMD.

but unless you run super pi 24/7 then be my guess.

hmm interesting....

AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.9ghz, Gigabyte 790gp-UD4H, 2 XFX ATi HD 4890 @ 1ghz crossfire, 4gb OCZ Ram, 2 WD 250gb HD, Raidmax Smilodon, HP w233h + HP MX50
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2010, 18:48   #20
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
yeah that's true.. if it's the overpriced extreme- that would suck though if the chips have that much overhead sitting there locked.. is it confirmed they are doing away with ocing?
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote