1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Site-Seeing: Walk It

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

I'll give it a shot. I am a bit low tech when it comes to navigation though. I love the fact that these days you can get a map of your location pretty much anywhere, but i still plan the route myself.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think you're a bit paranoid about Camden. :p

4. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

Lol. I think most of those calories goes into simply keeping you alive :p

Exercise is a really poor way of burning calories but it builds muscle which have a calorie 'upkeep' all the time :)

5. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

^ what he said. Most of your energy just goes into keeping you ticking over.

6. October

October Mariachi Style

Maybe the carbons saved are calculated by your extra weight not being on the tube, and it therefore not having to work as hard to keep moving :thumb: :lol:

7. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

That would be impressive for someone to work out per person. I suppose it would need to know your weight, or if you caught your bag in the door and held up the train momentarily, or if you jumped up and down all the time so your weight counted for less.
    So many variables to consider!

Also, while this service looks pretty clever, it really needs sat nav voice over and take advantage of your phones GPS to be really great. Still, as a version 1, still pretty useful. Lived in london a while and walked most places, generally working out where i was by finding tube stations and working out which direction i was heading. Didnt take maps with me, rarely got lost.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Holding up the train makes no difference if it's just for a couple of seconds, they won't go any faster.

Jumping up and down? :hehe:

9. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

but because you exercised more - you breathed more thus creating lots more carbon dioxide, you will also have a bigger appetitie thus use more food. How much Co2 is used in making and shipping another slice of cheesecake? ultimately, get a bike. it's faster and cheaper and greener and... slightly wetter on a rainy day.

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Doesn't Work so well for Aberdeen misses out lots of alleyways i know about but maybe they don't want to be sued if someone goes missing at the underpass while following there directions

11. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Finally someone who agrees with me about Camden :)

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Chalk me up as another Camden hater. Go for the gigs, then get out as fast as you can.

13. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Can't you just, y'know, guess the right way to go? Always works for me in london and I don't even live there.
    Also, Camden is scary? pussies ;)

14. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I've been using Walk-it.com for a while now. It can suggest circular routes and tell you how far they are, how long it'll take you. I've also used it for sending people directions to events in town, when people are coming up from London or elsewhere.

Btw, as an outside I don't find Camden particularly scarey. Visit Fenham or Benwell in Newcastle and you'll see how tame Camden is.

15. LJF

LJF Modded

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is used to calculate the number of calories needed, apparently.
    http://health.discovery.com/centers/heart/basal/basal.html

According to that calculator I, myself, need 1885 calories a day minimum even if i'm doing absolutely nothing but existing.

... time for another pastie then.

16. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

apparently, if i was the same height and weight as i am, but was actually 999 years old
    i would give out 4534.8 calories

17. E_Spaghetti

E_Spaghetti What's a Dremel?

No discussion at all about the union strike?

18. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

"Held to Ransom" indeed, once you've been caught out and buy an A to Z and give it a year, the strikers haven't stopped me getting anywhere I need to go when they shut the tube, for nearly a decade. In fact if they keep doing it they'll become as effective as the Royal Mail strikes where no-one knows the difference between a strike and normal service day to day.

Tags: Add Tags