bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:35   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
MOH changes Taliban to Opposing Force

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...posing-force/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:38   #2
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think if it makes people who are ignorant of the fact that it's just some text in a game and not a real thing happy, I say do it.

As gamers, we know what we're doing. It's a game. The only people freaking out here are the ones who want the publicity, like that idiot mentioned in the article. The families and friends of soldiers simply gave their feedback and got listened to. Perhaps that clown Liam Fox could take a leaf from their book.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:53   #3
Jaberw0cky
What's a Dremel?

Jaberw0cky has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
actually i would have had more respect for EA if theyd stuck to thier proverbial guns and dealt with the real world issue. In the end Opposing Force still consists of middle eastern men with plenty of muslim iconography on them. I recently watched The Hurt Locker, and i dont remember hearing any controversy over the subject matter there.
I mean no disrespect to anyone, but some perspective wouldnt go amiss.
Jaberw0cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:56   #4
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Personally, I'd expect them to change the names of both sides. Surely the Afghanistan populace might get offended at the other side?

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:14   #5
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ignorance is blizz is guess...
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:16   #6
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm with Joe on this one. Irrational people are being irrational.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:17   #7
Draksis
Code Monkey

Draksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for president
$10 says the first mod out changes the name back. Welcome to the big world!
Draksis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:22   #8
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
another win for the Taliban. Yet again proving that they are significantly changing our lives. 1 bit at a time.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:34   #9
recognize
What's a Dremel?

recognize has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Digusting

I too find it absolutely disgusting how EA deemed it acceptable to include any references to terrorist organisations in a game. Whats wrong with having blue v red team or alpha v beta?? Why do they feel the need to associate a fictional game with real-world entities like the Taliban? Are we not force fed enough propaganda from the media? This is scandalous, thousands and thousands of people have died as a result of this 'war on terror', a war meticulously orchestrated by rich corporates and puppet governments. Fitting how EA see fit to advocate these corrupted times.
recognize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:35   #10
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cop outs.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:41   #11
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
pfftt, pussys :/
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:54   #12
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This was so disappointing.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:02   #13
Phalanx

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by recognize View Post
I too find it absolutely disgusting how EA deemed it acceptable to include any references to terrorist organisations in a game. Whats wrong with having blue v red team or alpha v beta?? Why do they feel the need to associate a fictional game with real-world entities like the Taliban? Are we not force fed enough propaganda from the media? This is scandalous, thousands and thousands of people have died as a result of this 'war on terror', a war meticulously orchestrated by rich corporates and puppet governments. Fitting how EA see fit to advocate these corrupted times.
I can't tell if you're serious or not. If you are, then perhaps some of that pent-up rage should be allocated to other media such as film and written word? Seeing the word 'Taliban' written on a computer screen is no different to seeing is written in a novel, newspaper or used in a film.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:20   #14
recognize
What's a Dremel?

recognize has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx
Quote:
I too find it absolutely disgusting how EA deemed it acceptable to include any references to terrorist organisations in a game. Whats wrong with having blue v red team or alpha v beta?? Why do they feel the need to associate a fictional game with real-world entities like the Taliban? Are we not force fed enough propaganda from the media?… This is scandalous, thousands and thousands of people have died as a result of this 'war on terror', a war meticulously orchestrated by rich corporates and puppet governments. Fitting how EA see fit to advocate these corrupted times.
I can't tell if you're serious or not. If you are, then perhaps some of that pent-up rage should be allocated to other media such as film and written word? Seeing the word 'Taliban' written on a computer screen is no different to seeing is written in a novel, newspaper or used in a film.
Pardon me but I can allocate my 'pent-up rage' in whichever direction I choose, be that written novels, films, or articles on ignorant game publishers. May I remind you that this name change was amended following pleas from families of troops killed by insurgents in Afghanistan.
recognize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:35   #15
Fizzl
Multimodder

Fizzl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Socially acceptable to shoot named members of the Third Reich but not nameless Taliban, interesting. I guess time is a factor.

It doesn't make a difference to me, they may as well be red team and blue team.
Fizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:41   #16
Phalanx

Quote:
Pardon me but I can allocate my 'pent-up rage' in whichever direction I choose, be that written novels, films, or articles on ignorant game publishers. May I remind you that this name change was amended following pleas from families of troops killed by insurgents in Afghanistan.
EA are hardly being ignorant. Having the word 'Taliban' in a game doesn't make a company ignorant, it just shows that they aren't blurring reality. Does this mean that the families of people who have been killed by the Nazis in World War II should be petitioning companies not to use the word Nazi in films, books or games? No. They accept what has happened.

As people before have mentioned. Irrational people are being irrational.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:55   #17
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
All this and hardly anyone bats an eyelid at all the myriad games based on World War 2 or Vietnam that let you play as Axis or Vietcong soliders. I'd imagine there's an awful lot of people who lost loved ones in those wars who are around but I doubt anyone ever bothered to complain.

There's also a massive double standard being waved here. We care sooo much about the grieving widows and children when they're on our side, but we don't give a **** about what happens to the loved ones of the opposing force. We've got games where we can be allied soldiers and kill Taliban / Al Queda / Iraqi soliders, so what now we just thumb our noses at *their* grieving widows and children because they're on the wrong/losing/opposite side? (delete according to your own level of conceit)

Heaven forbid that we actually have a rational look at why and how a conflict happens from *both* sides. If that were to happen we might actually start to realize that maybe we don't have the moral high ground in every battleground the USA wades into, dragging us along with them. To quote Bill Hicks, how does to feel to find out that *we* are the Evil Empire?

OMG, RANT!
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 13:12   #18
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by recognize
I too find it absolutely disgusting how EA deemed it acceptable to include any references to terrorist organisations in a game. Whats wrong with having blue v red team or alpha v beta?? Why do they feel the need to associate a fictional game with real-world entities like the Taliban? Are we not force fed enough propaganda from the media?… This is scandalous, thousands and thousands of people have died as a result of this 'war on terror', a war meticulously orchestrated by rich corporates and puppet governments. Fitting how EA see fit to advocate these corrupted times.
Thats an impressively high horse you have there. Gauging by your reaction to mentioning the Taliban in a game, I fear you may actually explode if someone dared to make a game involving nazi germany. Fingers crossed that we will never see anything so heinous!
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 13:32   #19
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Fair enough, Can't say it'll stop my pre-order.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 13:42   #20
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by recognize
Thats an impressively high horse you have there. Gauging by your reaction to mentioning the Taliban in a game, I fear you may actually explode if someone dared to make a game involving nazi germany. Fingers crossed that we will never see anything so heinous!
Actually, I find his statement contradictory. He tells us how disgusted he is that we can play a game from the perspective of "the other side" but then goes on to burn "our side" in anti-neocapitalist effigy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for neocapitalist burning (in effigy or otherwise) but given the historical origin of the Taliban and the way they came to power in the first place, we should really be removing references to the United States from all our games instead. They may have done the whole world a favour by supporting Afghanistan in it's resistance of Red Communism, but DAMN did they pooch-screw the end-game in that one, hence today's situation.

Last edited by StoneyMahoney; 4th Oct 2010 at 13:43. Reason: typo
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote