1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Corsair Builder Series PSU's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fingers66, 8 Oct 2010.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

These have been recently announced around the web but has anyone seen any reviews yet?

I assume that these are replacing models such as the awesome CX400 but are they as good?

I posted a thread asking bit-tech if they are planning to review them but have yet to get a response.

Has anyone heard anything yet?

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

"Up to 80% efficiency"
    To me it sounds like they are cheaper for a reason. Most likely still be reliable, get the job done and all, but I'd probably skip these and pay a bit more.

3. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

Like Jipa says, they are not 80+ certified. The CX400 was manufactured by Seasonic, while the new builder series are reported to be made by CWT.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Has anyone seen any reviews yet?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

There is no review to look for.
    Corsair makes good quality PSU's, so it will be that. No 80+ certified (or basic 80+ certified), and probably quiet, but not as quiet as their other PSU's.
    What else do you expect?
    They won't say it's better than their highest end PSU but for cheaper.

Basically, if you are planning to build a budget computer, then they are fine.

Basically, what I am trying to say, is if Corsair doesn't send the PSU to reviewers, and no review sites go and buys it, it's because there is nothing interesting to show. Corsair is not a new brand on the market, they have a reputation, and we the consumer assumes that they won't release crap.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Whilst I agree that it is not in Corsair's interest to release crap, I would not buy any PSU without reading at least a couple of reviews first.

Would you buy a monitor solely on the brand name without checking reviews? :D

7. GoodBytes

I did for my Corsair AX 750... I got it fresh from the even. And I don't regret it. The day I got, I saw reviews pop-up here and there all saying how impressive it is.

When I got my laptop, I did the same thing, 4 month in, despite the hype, no reviews where out. I got it, I loved it, and about the month after that you see reviews appear all saying great things.. and it's a Dell.

The thing is that I am not scared of returning things. Obviously if it's big things and it's being order far, and I have to pay the return shipping, then that is a different story.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I'll be using these for friends and family builds.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

That is the reason I am asking about these PSU's. I have a build coming in a month or so for a friend and will have to keep to his budget, rather than mine.

Whilst I hope that, for example, the new builder Series 430w is as good as the old CX400w, I do not think it is. The new Builder series is "up to" 80+ spec whilst the old CX400 was 80+ compliant (source: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2009/04/27/corsair-cx-400w-psu-review/7).

In addition, the warranty of the new Builder Series is less than the old CX warranty, 2 years as opposed to 3 years. Does this indicate lesser quality components? I would suggest it does.

I may be splitting hairs in the context of a budget build but I would rather wait for some reputable reviews. Manufacturers have been known to screw up model refreshes before.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

While i understand your concern, they'll still be several times better than a generic gray box. I already have a hard time convincing my "clients" to pay a "premium" for the CX400, if these are any cheaper i will be using them.

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

This is classic brand loyalty stuff.

"We're Corsair, you know us, you trust us. But what's that?? You can't afford/don't need one of our more expensive products? Don't worry, we're making some cheaper ones. Problem solved."

Up to 80% is ringing MAJOR alarm bells with me personally. But each to their own. The fact is they're trading on their brand here rather than the merits of the product. Companies do it all the time.

If people are concerned about budgets to that degree though, they won't care and that's what I find amusing here all the time. People ask if PSUs are good, or want advice or whatever, but they aren't prepared to spend the cash.

The CX400 is a good unit. There are very few other options for a little more power, at a slightly higher price. The real choice opens up further up the price/wattage range.

**edit** excuse my shoddy SPAG. Fixed.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2010
  12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Agreed. :thumb:

13. GoodBytes

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yeah, I saw those on the Corsair website. Unfortunately I do not think they are being sold as budget PSU's - the UK prices I have seen (at very dodgy looking websites) list the GS600 at circa £120.

The spec is great and the quality looks very good as per the review link you posted but the price point is not a budget PSU.

Hopefully there will be some reviews published for the Builder Series soon.

15. GoodBytes

I think the order of Corsair PSU's are as follows:
    - AX series - top of the line (7 year warranty)
    - HX Pro (7 year warranty)
    - HX (5 year warranty)
    - TX (5 year warranty)
    - VX (5 year warranty)
    - GS (3 year warranty)
    - CX (Builder's series - 2 year warranty)

From what I can see, the GS is really the CX with 1 more warranty year and more power.
    It's basically to say that it has the power and connector to power gaming graphic cards.

VX series is if you seek a good efficient power-supply, better quality than the GS/CX.

TX is really the HX Pro, without modular cables and a bit louder fan.

HX is being discontinued for HX Pro (real manufacture switch and longer warranty).

HX Pro is modular, efficient , high-power, heavy gaming computer or workstation ready.

and AX is the cream of the crop where it aims at extreme quietness (the fan doesn't spin when your system is idle), and 80+ Plus Gold, and even more modular.

But you must note something, Corsair PSU's.. well they are not from Corsair, nothing Corsair makes is from them. They are renamed PSU's with Corsair service and long warranty. Some of there models are cheaper then the actual manufacture like the HX and AX series, but others is the contrary.

Also, Corsair still establishes itself on the PSU market. In fact, Corsair is doing like what Antec used to be on their PSU market.. just recently, in fact they started to make SOME of their PSU's home. Antec did releae crap PSU's, and I won't be surprise if Corsair do teh same, they try to find their sweat spot on market shares... did try different strategies. Probably the CX follows individuals like you and me that custom build computers, to buy them or recommend them just because it's Corsair (selling the brand), even though they are not great or crap PSU's. Usually these line of PSU's for the companies who are careful with their image, don't last long.

I don't have sales figures, but I think Corsair should only have AX, HX Pro, TX and GS. Where AX is the cream of the crop, HX is high-end, TX is non-modular and louder fans as they are now, GS for budget computer (basically merging VX and GS together). And start focusing on making there own PSU's with innovative features like ones that don't whine no mater your system configuration or state (something that ALL PSU's today suffer as they get more and more powerful, and we get quieter and quieter systems).

All I am saying, is don't think Corsair is the only options. I got Corsair PSU's for my old and new systems because I wanted Seasonic PSU's, but Corsair has the same ones for cheaper and longer warranty.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Agreed, I don't think Corsair are the only option, there are plenty more out there.

The only reason I have recommended the Corsair CX400, HX520 & HX650 in the past is because they have had fantastic reviews and have been very good value for money - I have an HX520. I also have an Antec True Power New 650w which is also fantastic quality and value for money.

I think you are also right with the opinion that Corsair are trying a different price point in the market with the new Builder Series and are trying to trade on their previous reputation with the CX400 (for example, along with the reputation of the HX series).

Everyone here knows Corsair don't make their own PSU's...but they do provide the requirement to the actual manufacturers. A company like Corsair has to be careful when they trade on their current good reputation (imho) in the tech marketplace for the extra profit generated by specifying cheaper components to the manufacturers to allow a larger margin - getting it wrong is costly in brand terms.

Time will tell - the stringent reviews will reveal the brutal (or otherwise) truth.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2010
  17. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

I don't doubt for a moment that the builder series will find it's use, if nothing else, then in the budgetest of budget builds we do in croatia. I expect it to be a cheap alternative to Fortron PSUs. The CX400W is one of my more favourite PSUs to use with low-budget systems, but sometimes I do wish they did a cheaper model for even less money :)

As for watering down to brand, which I've been hearing about... I doubt that's gonna happen. They want to cover the whole field, from high performance, to low budget. Seems perfectly reasonable to me :)

18. GoodBytes

Damn I missed it due to exam... I could have gotten one to check it out.

It was really cheap at NCIX.com
    [​IMG]
    So I guess, Corsair give you a full 1$ to take it.

Is that good or bad? :D

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Can't beat that value :D

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London