bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Oct 2010, 11:40   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Microsoft patents GPU video encoding

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...deo-encoding/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:10   #2
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
What a farce. Patents are a waste of time, especially when the legal red tape is way too far behind the development pace of modern industry. This patent in particular is ludicrous. It's like someone patenting petrol today and demanding royalties, despite petrol's mainstream use for neigh on 100 years.
I'm going to go patent the wheel.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:15   #3
brave758
Ultramodder

brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.
agreed, more patent BS just waiting for the trolls
brave758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:32   #4
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Instagib: in fairness, this is different to your petrol analogy. Microsoft applied for this patent back in 2004, before nvidia or OpenCL had their video encoding software released. They patented the idea, although whether or not it was their idea or whether they have or are intending to implement it is another matter. I do think it's a bollucks patent as other competitors are now established, and this has the potential to cut them off after they've invested a lot.

I'm guessing it's the US patent office that granted this then..
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:36   #5
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
So they managed to patent using a multi-purpose processor that isn't a CPU as a video encoding platform?

StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:37   #6
cebla
Multimodder

cebla has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is possible the main reason they patented it is so that no one else can which will protect them from law suites later.
cebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:54   #7
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This is one of the problems with patents, they can take over 4 or 5 + years to grant after the original application due to the searches which are required and madatory waiting periods (in case someone wants to challenge the application).

I am waiting to hear about a patent for something I worked on last year but the predictions at the moment are it will be another 3 years until it is granted, if at all
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:56   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Patends should only be given out for real existing and build stuff. Patending general ideas is total bs.

patending a working piece of hardware or software = OK
patending the idea of the above = not OK

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:56   #9
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Insane. 'nuff said really.
Old 13th Oct 2010, 13:09   #10
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Patends should only be given out for real existing and build stuff. Patending general ideas is total bs.

Not true, say you or I have an idea that no-one else is using but don't have the finance to put that idea in to a working piece of hardware or software, should we lose out when someone else comes up with the same idea or hears of ours? No. We should be able to protect it.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 13:40   #11
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77

Not true, say you or I have an idea that no-one else is using but don't have the finance to put that idea in to a working piece of hardware or software, should we lose out when someone else comes up with the same idea or hears of ours? No. We should be able to protect it.
The patenting of ideas is stifling production, because some trolls just keep the patents for legal action later, they don't actually produce.

What we need is a patent system that gives you a certain amount of time to produce a working sample, and then the patent can be attributed.
A year or two to production might be fair. for a prototype, just to show you are serious....
Old 13th Oct 2010, 14:08   #12
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
This could be good and bad, Good if it works like DX and microsoft design a standard for GPGPU video processing. It could be bad however since Microsoft haven't a clue about hardware design when it comes to GPGPU. Depending on the scope of the patient could companies get round this by saying something like a CUDA video encoder avoiding naming GPGPU anywhere?
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 14:26   #13
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008 View Post
That's unfortunate, yes, but I can live with it actually.

The problem is, that alot of patends these days are based on very general ideas, that are not further explained or detailed. These very general ideas should simply not be protected by patends.

The idea of offloading some calculations from the CPU to the GPU to enhance videoplayback is way too general and I know 5 year olds that come up with ideas like that randomly. It's just too general, too simple and basic of an idea.

If Microsoft has a more detailed idea of how to offload the calculations from the CPU to the GPU, then they should get a patend for this specific way of doing so.

So patends should be given only for concrete solutions, not the basic idea of possibilities.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!

Last edited by jrs77; 13th Oct 2010 at 14:32.
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 14:57   #14
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666
The patenting of ideas is stifling production, because some trolls just keep the patents for legal action later, they don't actually produce.

What we need is a patent system that gives you a certain amount of time to produce a working sample, and then the patent can be attributed.
A year or two to production might be fair. for a prototype, just to show you are serious....
yay someone has been listening to me about patents
Old 13th Oct 2010, 15:43   #15
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Smells like BS to me..

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 17:31   #16
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
kind of glad microsoft got the patent over a troll who will sit on it.. if they didn't get it, someone else would have.. be nice to see video encoding integrated into dx

not so good for software makers like badaboom though.. that video encoder rips through encodes in record time even though I barely use it over adobe media encoder because it lacks options.. good for newbies to get it done

hopefully they won't owe money to microsoft now.. I'm not sure how it works far as applied and granted times go- be wrong if it goes back to applied
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 19:24   #17
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so wait this means all these programs that use GPU acceleration to encode video could now be under threat of being taken out by M$? ugh this isnt good at all >.<
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 19:35   #18
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh so now that I think about it, since OpenCL is open source its probably safe but since CUDA is proprietary its and those that use it is probably the only one that could be screwed, which Im alright with lol. But really patents are just out of control now ~_~

Between M$, Apple, and Google... creativity just cant happen anymore without stepping on one of their patents.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
Old 13th Oct 2010, 22:18   #19
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
i really wish MS would just stop. stick with operating systems and thats it. when you branch too far, you either begin to fail (like the horrid xbox 360 RROD issues), you don't focus enough on 1 product (like zune being unpopular), you take too long (like their mobile phones), and you just look greedy. if ms didn't keep trying to dominate every market that involved a processor and memory, just imagine how much better vista and 7 would have been. they probably wouldnt' have even had to make a windows 7
Old 13th Oct 2010, 23:12   #20
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
i really wish MS would just stop. stick with operating systems and thats it. when you branch too far, you either begin to fail (like the horrid xbox 360 RROD issues), you don't focus enough on 1 product (like zune being unpopular), you take too long (like their mobile phones), and you just look greedy. if ms didn't keep trying to dominate every market that involved a processor and memory, just imagine how much better vista and 7 would have been. they probably wouldnt' have even had to make a windows 7
well Apple does the exact same thing, but OSes are on their way out, even M$ admitted to that so they need to branch into other things to continue on but in this manner I dont care for at all. It just slows down progress.