bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Oct 2010, 07:30   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Are On-Board SATA 6Gbps Ports Fast Enough?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...-fast-enough/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 07:46   #2
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Interesting, but useless. We don't have any drive that goes that fast on SATA. And the fastest drive are on PCI-E. So there is nothing worry about, even down the line after 5 years.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 07:50   #3
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Am I right in thinking that apart from SSD development which is flying ahead right now, there isn't anything that is likely to need this speed any time soon right?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 08:12   #4
BlackMage23
RPG Loving Freak

BlackMage23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yeah, sounds like you only need SATA 6gb if you have a new SSD.
Old 28th Oct 2010, 08:12   #5
speedalini
What's a Dremel?

speedalini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like the High Point Rocket would be a good way of adding SATA III capability to my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 board. How would this compare to the USB 3.0 equiped Asus U3S6 card?
speedalini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 08:26   #6
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow. A simple chipset can mean double to triple the performance quite literally.

I suspect that with this kind of variation, that as SSDs become faster and cheaper and SATA3 becomes more and more common, that the chipset for the SATA3 is going to be as important as the chipset inside the SSD.
Old 28th Oct 2010, 08:45   #7
bluespider42
Supermodder

bluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What drivers were used in the testing as I've heard that the marvell ones are rubbish and to stick with the ms ones.
Old 28th Oct 2010, 08:52   #8
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Am I right in thinking that apart from SSD development which is flying ahead right now, there isn't anything that is likely to need this speed any time soon right?
Need? Yes. Mass storage is the bottleneck of PC systems, behind internet access. It's still talking hundreds of MB/s whereas virtually every other component works in 10x++ performance figures.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 09:05   #9
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm well its nice to see AMD really has great chipset with its native support, but what Im wondering is how does this compare with RAID setups and using a Raid card in comparison to onboard Raid options? Primarily RAID 0 and RAID 5 setups, heck even RAID 50 (Also known as Raid 0+5 or Raid 5+0) would be nice to see.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 09:59   #10
Senilex
Not a Troll. Honest.

Senilex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Out of interest, how long does the Rocket card take to initialize from a cold boot?
Senilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 10:05   #11
okenobi
Ultramodder

okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm surprised AMD don't get a more complimentary write up here. The 850 based boards are clearly notably quicker for storage than the price equivalent 1156 boards. They also offer more PCI-E bandwidth, which would surely help if a Rocket card was added.

I know the Intel CPUs are quicker, but native SATA 6gig that is actually pretty quick AND USB3, without detracting from PCI-E bandwidth is surely something that "gamers" would appreciate. No?
okenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 10:43   #12
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes
Interesting, but useless. We don't have any drive that goes that fast on SATA. And the fastest drive are on PCI-E. So there is nothing worry about, even down the line after 5 years.
Useless is the best way to describe the quoted post.
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 12:32   #13
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i know has he missed the last year of developements?

this is interesting to me, i may welll purchase a c300 128gb soon, and was thinkin the highpoint card was obligatory, obviously not, the onboard ports dont do too bad a job at all. not as good, but you save 40 and some boot time
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 12:56   #14
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
Quote:
+1
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 15:43   #15
Hakuren
Multimodder

Hakuren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think that motherboards should carry mix of SATA 1 and SATA 3 ports. 2 SATA150 ports just for optical drives. Why should we waste good SATA2/3 port on a such sluggish device(s)? SATA3 will be plenty for next decade or even more as there is nothing which can replace classic HDDs in short term - SSDs are useless for serious storage applications.

On a RAID side note.
For small storage like 2x1*TB drives in RAID 1 running software RAID via chipset or via simple software RAID card is not an issue. Drop in performance is minimal just like load on CPU and system resources. But if you are serious about RAID then you need some serious hardware. Running software RAID5 with classic HDDs is completely bonkers. RAID 50 is not supported by ICH unless I missed something. Furthermore you need minimum 6 disks to implement it, and to get decent performance you need ~12 drives in the array, at which stage running RAID 50 is not an option because RAID6/60 is much more secure and logical choice.
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 16:21   #16
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD View Post
Very well, find me an SSD on the market or coming in the market that reaches the speed of the slowest SATA 6Gbps, and we will talk.
Buying SATA card for not reason, just to have the highest speed possible, is not helpful in anyway, other than reducing your wallet size, as you have nothing to take advantage off the extra speed.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 28th Oct 2010, 16:29   #17
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD View Post
Very well, find me an SSD on the market or coming in the market that reaches the speed of the slowest SATA 6Gbps, and we will talk.
Buying SATA card for not reason, just to have the highest speed possible, is not helpful in anyway, other than reducing your wallet size, as you have nothing to take advantage off the extra speed.
Just diffuse things a bit, the point Ph4ZeD is making is that these tests were conducted with the Crucial C300 256GB, so all of the speeds listed in the article are the speed of this SSD over the various connections.

At these kind of speeds, the C300 is brilliant - it loads games and apps noticeably quicker than any other storage device we've tested and generally makes your PC feel faster and more responsive.

Hope that explanations why people are making the comments they are

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 16:36   #18
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claave View Post
Just diffuse things a bit, the point Ph4ZeD is making is that these tests were conducted with the Crucial C300 256GB, so all of the speeds listed in the article are the speed of this SSD over the various connections.

At these kind of speeds, the C300 is brilliant - it loads games and apps noticeably quicker than any other storage device we've tested and generally makes your PC feel faster and more responsive.

Hope that explanations why people are making the comments they are
Aha! Makes sense now.
Thanks

Old 28th Oct 2010, 16:54   #19
Fabou
Supermodder

Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@ hakuren
With blu ray coming sata 1 might not be enough for optical, therefore making sata 1 useless.
I really like your comment mate I wish I could express myself like this too! Thanks buddy!!
Fabou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2010, 16:54   #20
TheLostSwede
Minimodder

TheLostSwede has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm sorry, but this test if full of flaws and mistakes.
The JMB362 is NOT a SATA 6Gbps controller, but a standard SATA 3Gbps controller http://www.jmicron.com/JMB362.html

The Gigabyte GA-X58-UD7 uses the Marvell 9128 controller and not the JMB362.

I think whoever did this test need to go over his test results again, as there's something very fishy going on here.
TheLostSwede is offline   Reply With Quote