bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Oct 2010, 10:19   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fractal Design Define R3 Review

The update to the Define R2 is officially our favourite quiet case, read on to see why!

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...ne-r3-review/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 10:23   #2
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Another fantastic case. Those folks at Fractal definitely know their work!
Old 29th Oct 2010, 10:25   #3
Mattmc91
Ultramodder

Mattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run Crysis
Looks great, shame I've already got my new case ;(
Mattmc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 10:30   #4
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great review of a lovely case.

just out of interest this comment worries me slightly
"make sure their graphics card cooler exhausts air out the back of the case rather than into the case."

Given the increasing use of aftermarket coolers on oveclocked gpu's how should this affect our views of cooling results on other cases.

How should we read GPU results now, previously they could be (largely) ignored if you had a rear exhaust gpu but now you are simply measuring the intake temps of the GPU...
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 10:35   #5
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
The case feels more solid and sturdy
Given the R3 is structurally identical to the R2, could you elaborate a bit on this comment please.

It's good to see Fractal Design taking on constructive critisism and acting on it. The R3 is an improvement to the already very good R2.

Get some low noise 120-140mm fans in the roof and another one in the front and you have an excellent cooling case as well.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 10:48   #6
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What's an "Admiral job" for a PC case? Does it command a navy of small RAM ships and hard drive cruisers?

Yeah, typo on first page Looks like a lovely design for a case though.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 10:52   #7
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
What's an "Admiral job" for a PC case? Does it command a navy of small RAM ships and hard drive cruisers?

For your sharp eyes, it's too the crow's nest with ye!
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 11:13   #8
facwit
Multimodder

facwit has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So glad I got one of these cases. It looks fantastic and I can hardly hear my gtx480.
facwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 11:31   #9
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei

I seriously hope that 'too' was ironic Harry... :S

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 11:46   #10
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
They still have those disparate case feet. Shame...

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 13:14   #11
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei

I seriously hope that 'too' was ironic Harry... :S
Everybody knows sailors can't spell. Yarrr.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 13:48   #12
devilxc
Biding my time...

devilxc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent to see they took on board the feedback and improved it. They seem to have done as much as possible while avoiding the price hike associated with changing the manufacturing process.

If I was looking for a case atm I would have this near the top of my list.
devilxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 13:50   #13
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
My R3 arrived last week and I am very, VERY happy with it. I have 4 120mm fans in there, 2 from Fractal and 2 Gelids, and it is still very quiet. Most of the noise comes from my GPU. Very impressed and great value too, IMO.

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 13:53   #14
Pierre
What's a Dremel?

Pierre has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As I know, the Fractal Design Define XL is (or is expected shortly) in bit-tech's labs...

Since the full tower case is actually much different in configuration, I can't wait for it to be tested...I am particularly interested in seeing how well hdd cooling is for the bottom compartment...

If I could make a request, that would be to fill the bottom 6 hdd bays of the Define XL and see what the hdd temperatures are, since there is no direct airpath...

Someone else said it before in the comments... Was this case improved sturcturally, as rigidity is concerned? Was there wider steel sheets used? Were they folded better?

How rigid is the HDD cage against vibration (these were all mediocre qualities of the Define R2)

Can't say I favor the switch to faster spinning fans...it will most likely mean that I might have to replace them, increasing the overall cost...
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 14:17   #15
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
For those wanting to see what a difference additional fans made to the R2 case, check out the follow up here: http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/01...-r2-follow-up/.

Note: the R2 was tested using different kit (as mentioned in this R3 review) so bear that in mind when reading the follow-up.

The bottom line is that additional fans can make a huge difference to the cooling ability of the R2 & R3.
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[OMV]
Fingers66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 14:25   #16
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I think I have just found my new case

whenever I decide to change that is

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 17:40   #17
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
My overclocked 4850 dumps hot air inside my case (an R2) and it's absolutely fine. I'm only using the two top fans as exhaust because my H50 takes up the slot at the back. It's actually cooler than it was in my Antec 900 because I can get cool air to the underside of the graphics card using the 120mm intake on the bottom.

I must say I never really understood why you guys at bit-tech mostly review cases at their stock configurations, given most of your readers like customising their PCs... that's why they buy "Custom PC Magazine" not "Stock-Configuration PC Magazine", I'm pretty sure.

Fractal Design could have packed their case with expensive fans but that would have driven the price up. As you yourselves proved some simple alterations to fan/airflow setup makes a big difference so why can't we have reviews with stock AND custom cooling configurations? Please?

These cases would come off very well in such a test as there are so many different places to put fans to optimise airflow for your specific hardware. Many cases are less customisable and their "decent" stock cooling might be the best you can ever get out of them. It would be nice to know this information before buying stuff, so I'd like to see it in reviews.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 19:05   #18
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen View Post
I must say I never really understood why you guys at bit-tech mostly review cases at their stock configurations, given most of your readers like customising their PCs... that's why they buy "Custom PC Magazine" not "Stock-Configuration PC Magazine", I'm pretty sure.

Fractal Design could have packed their case with expensive fans but that would have driven the price up. As you yourselves proved some simple alterations to fan/airflow setup makes a big difference so why can't we have reviews with stock AND custom cooling configurations? Please?
Do you have any idea of how many cooling configurations that would be? Combined with time for setting it all up, testing it and deciding on which fans you use it would take years. It would probably result in 1 case review pr. 6 months.
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 21:57   #19
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen View Post

Do you have any idea of how many cooling configurations that would be? Combined with time for setting it all up, testing it and deciding on which fans you use it would take years. It would probably result in 1 case review pr. 6 months.
I'm sure it could be done quicker than that. If they can't do it then fine, but I generally read CPC/bit-tech for their quality reviews, so I thought i'd voice my opinion on what they could be doing to improve them further.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2010, 22:11   #20
Necrow
Multimodder

Necrow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Are Antec engineers are still wondering where their deisgn plans for the P182 dissapeared off too? lol
Necrow is offline   Reply With Quote