bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Nov 2010, 07:38   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Intel teams up with Samsung, Toshiba

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...sung-toshiba/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 08:46   #2
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Companies looking into different area's to advance computing - Always a good thing!

11nm.... jeez, I remember thinking "wow 65nm... that's tiny!"
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 09:07   #3
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was thinking the same when I bought my 90nm Athlon 64. Sooooo much smaller than the sweaty old 130 nm
While 11nm is an obvious boost for CPU power efficiency and laptop battery life, I'm more interested how shrinking manufacturing proceses will affect SSD capacities and prices.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 09:42   #4
Jezcentral
Multimodder

Jezcentral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
77.5 million isn't even that much compared to the amount these companies regularly put into R&D.
Jezcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 09:56   #5
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's down the back of the sofa pizza change to Intel.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 10:21   #6
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezcentral
77.5 million isn't even that much compared to the amount these companies regularly put into R&D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
It's down the back of the sofa pizza change to Intel.
This.

It's good that they're looking to improve the technology, but as mentioned towards the end of the article they really need to be looking into new materials and such other than silicon. We're very close to the limit of what's economically feasible, so a breakthrough in something like optical or maybe graphene would be much more welcome. I imagine Intel's funding towards that sort of research is much greater.
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 15:26   #7
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Intel been looking pretty closely at photonic computing as well? The article seems to imply that IBM is the only one considering the option. Just seems logical that they would be, what with LightPeak and all.
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 16:53   #8
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Wow, Samsung puts it around don't they?
I only just read a few months ago that they were "collaborating" with IBM and Global Foundries on their Common Platform initiative at 32/28nm, and now they're teaming up with Intel at 11nm. I wonder how IBM and GloFlo feels about Samsung's R&D department flirting outside of the relationship? Or Intel, for that matter.

Given that all three partners involved here are major NAND manufacturers, I would say that the research will have this application in mind rather than CPU/GPU.