bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Nov 2010, 16:53   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Zalman to enter SSD market

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...r-ssd-market/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 17:23   #2
Hazchem
Multimodder

Hazchem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
More choice can generally only be a good thing. I've always liked Zalman's products too so I hope these live up to their name.
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 18:02   #3
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
write speeds will vary from 60MB/s to 210MB/s depending on the model chosen
Wow, that's a crazy difference!

32GB might be a bit cramped but 64GB is enought for most peoples OS and all their apps. It's a waste to fill SSDs with games as they load fast enough off standard drives anyway.
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 00:26   #4
Lazy_Amp
Entry AMD Engineer

Lazy_Amp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really hate this SSD situation.

Really, the only thing that matters with these is the controller. Who cares if it's OCZ or Zalman or whatever if they have the same controller. This isn't news, can't you already buy drives EXACTLY like these? Probably for less?
Lazy_Amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 00:48   #5
FeRaL
Multimodder

FeRaL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Amp

Really, the only thing that matters with these is the controller. Who cares if it's OCZ or Zalman or whatever if they have the same controller. This isn't news, can't you already buy drives EXACTLY like these? Probably for less?
Agreed...
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain
FeRaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 10:31   #6
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not that interested in the number of brands of SSD's (OCZ, Corsair etc) . I'm more interested in the number of different drive controller manufacturers and the chips they produce (Indilinx, Sandforce, Intel, JMicron etc).
SSD's seem to be heading the way of graphics cards where they're almost all the same under that casing with a different stick on top.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 14:34   #7
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
So many SSD articles. Still can't afford one.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 16:52   #8
Hakuren
Multimodder

Hakuren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is absolutely bonkers. All Sand Force SSDs are exactly the same. Prices are around the same level. It doesn't matter if only OCZ releasing new products or 5000 other companies join in. Prices won't go down as long as there is nothing new on the horizon (like better controllers for SSDs or HDR technology).

Who cares what sticker is on top? OCZ, Zalman, Kingston... Iranian Jihad Corp or Bahamas Computing Institute.
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 16:03   #9
ev1lm1nd666
Multimodder

ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Amp

+1 for both!
Old 6th Nov 2010, 09:10   #10
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuren View Post
It is absolutely bonkers. All Sand Force SSDs are exactly the same. Prices are around the same level. It doesn't matter if only OCZ releasing new products or 5000 other companies join in. Prices won't go down as long as there is nothing new on the horizon (like better controllers for SSDs or HDR technology).

Who cares what sticker is on top? OCZ, Zalman, Kingston... Iranian Jihad Corp or Bahamas Computing Institute.
I know that's true in theory, but has real world performance born that out? A lot of things are the same on paper, but some manufacturers have a special ability to screw them up in implementation.
Old 6th Nov 2010, 10:22   #11
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
If competition brings the prices down, then im all for it.
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote