bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Nov 2010, 16:54   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
AMD scores big in notebook graphics

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ook-graphics/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 18:59   #2
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I suspect that this is mostly the likes of the 5470 GPU that i've seen in loads of laptops recently around the ÂŁ500 mark, plus the 4000 mobile series seemed to do quite well.

If you aren't particuarly bothered about serious gaming and just needed a half decent GPU for video acceleration, then i can see why they succeeded. Nvidia seemed to be focusing on mobile gaming GPU's recently.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 19:25   #3
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nah AMD former ATI has ALWAYS been strong in the Laptop market for GPUs since the 3xxx series to current, they had the better price point and offerings.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 20:55   #4
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HourBeforeDawn
nah AMD former ATI has ALWAYS been strong in the Laptop market for GPUs since the 3xxx series to current, they had the better price point and offerings.
Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for some time now. That's why this topic is actually news worthy. It's only been the last six months or so they have actually made any impact.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 02:57   #5
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think AMD is realizing that there is a lot more money to be made in the middle to lower end, plus the server market, than there is in the enthusiast market. Let Intel spend gobs of money to be the fastest, if your product in the $500 computer works fine and is cheaper...
Old 4th Nov 2010, 07:20   #6
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe it's because faulty G86 GPUs are dying out.
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 08:39   #7
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
I think AMD is realizing that there is a lot more money to be made in the middle to lower end, plus the server market, than there is in the enthusiast market. Let Intel spend gobs of money to be the fastest, if your product in the $500 computer works fine and is cheaper...
Unfortunately, that's the problem for AMD. Intel don't just concentrate on the spending gobs of money to the fastest. That's why they own the industry in every class they design to.
Old 4th Nov 2010, 10:42   #8
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I expect AMD to do even better with laptop sales once their Fusion CPU/GPU's his the market.
Nvidia will suffer as they don't have a CPU/GPU chip. That means they can't benifit from the reduced power comsumption and cooling requirements of a single chip design. And that's before you even mention how power inefficient recent Nvidia designs have been compared to AMD's.
Intel's new Sandybridge chips GPU's are a big improvement over the old Intel graphics, but not up to AMD's or Nvidia's standards. Providing their new CPU's are up to scratch, I can see AMD taking laptop sales away from Intel as well as Nvidia.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 16:11   #9
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
A lot of descrete cards are no better than integrated mind. I'm wondering if places like currys and argos screwed up in their labling scheme labling integrated as descrete or did AMD pull a fast on by removing integrated graphics into descrete at very low end. I think that comment made sense
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 17:00   #10
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
...shame AMD's stock isn't showing this...
though Intel's not doing great either
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 10:03   #11
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
...shame AMD's stock isn't showing this...
though Intel's not doing great either
AMD has gone from $41 to $8 a share over the last 5 years. While Intel even though it's had ups and downs is the around the same $21 it was 5 years ago.

Which one would you have been happier owning for the last 5 years? neither probably.

Nvidia however has been getting some really positive buy notices over the last few days, with big institutional investors piling in. The management and inside share owners haven't sold any of their own share since dec09 when it was at $17. So the management and investors appear to know something we all clearly don't. Have they fixed fermi?

*this isn't financial advice in anyway and is not a recommendation to buy any share

Last edited by Snips; 5th Nov 2010 at 10:04. Reason: spell check
Old 5th Nov 2010, 10:34   #12
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
I expect AMD to do even better with laptop sales once their Fusion CPU/GPU's his the market.
Nvidia will suffer as they don't have a CPU/GPU chip. That means they can't benifit from the reduced power comsumption and cooling requirements of a single chip design. And that's before you even mention how power inefficient recent Nvidia designs have been compared to AMD's.
Intel's new Sandybridge chips GPU's are a big improvement over the old Intel graphics, but not up to AMD's or Nvidia's standards. Providing their new CPU's are up to scratch, I can see AMD taking laptop sales away from Intel as well as Nvidia.
Like you say nvidia has suffered as intel integrated graphics have removed them from the low end intel solutions.

When fusion comes out AMD will really only be doing that to themselves - if it was a low end AMD CPU then it already came with a low end AMD gpu. Fusion if anything costs them money as they remove their own low end market, and can't sell fusion for as much.
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 10:52   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
AMD has gone from $41 to $8 a share over the last 5 years.
AMD stocks are to volitile to be regarded over such a long period of time
No I meant that this "positive" news had no influence over the last two days.

And you're right, I'm not too happy owning either Bought them relatively low though, they're both slightly in the plus.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote