bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Nov 2010, 08:36   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
QNAP Network Media Player NMP-1000P Review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/med...1000p-review/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2010, 09:44   #2
mike_dowler
Multimodder

mike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysismike_dowler can run Crysis
Surely *raft* of extra features?
Old 12th Nov 2010, 10:22   #3
Nedsbeds
Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Not one to usually moan about spelling, but perhaps someone could just run an eye over that article again!
Nedsbeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2010, 12:00   #4
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice looking box, but for me nothing could beat just linking my PC to my HDTV as second monitor with DVI-HDMI cable.

But not everyone has their PC in the living room.
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2010, 18:54   #5
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens
But not everyone's other half lets them have their PC in the living room.
Fixed that for me

:/
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2010, 22:37   #6
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Get her told lol
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2010, 00:49   #7
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dowler
Surely *raft* of extra features?
Ditto, or swathe even; wrath is something khan has...
Old 13th Nov 2010, 06:42   #8
Wwhat
Minimodder

Wwhat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fumy how it says "FLAC (including FLAC lossless)", because as most people know FLAC is always lossles ,it's in fact an acronym for 'Free Lossless Audio Codec'.
The article also says "and even eSATA to connect directly to a PC" but no explanation how that is suppose to work, and I thought it was a mistake but see on the picture it has an ESATA port for HD and a separate one in a box labeled 'to PC' so it's a bit confusing.
Add to that a line like "The remote still quite good" and you got the impression the author wasn't exactly sober/awake.

Still, it got the job done, and I've seen worse.

Last edited by Wwhat; 13th Nov 2010 at 06:48.
Wwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2010, 06:45   #9
Wwhat
Minimodder

Wwhat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
~edit~ deleted since my edit became a quoted reply instead of an edit, sorry about that, no idea why.
Wwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2010, 07:52   #10
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
They want HOW MUCH! No gigity ethernet either? QNAP are going down slightly in my estimation after this...

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2010, 06:45   #11
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
have to admit, its one of the best looking interfaces at least, a lot more visual then all the other copy and past identical looking very bland file listings style like all the rest of the media players out there.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 13:33   #12
chimaera
Multimodder

chimaera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For 285 I just built a XBMC box for a colleague of mine using a passively-cooled dual-core 1.8GHz Atom on an ION2 motherboard with an SSD boot disk and 4gig of RAM.

This QNAP thing is possibly a simpler solution but mine is significantly more bang for you buck
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 16:42   #13
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwhat View Post
Fumy how it says "FLAC (including FLAC lossless)", because as most people know FLAC is always lossles ,it's in fact an acronym for 'Free Lossless Audio Codec'.
The article also says "and even eSATA to connect directly to a PC" but no explanation how that is suppose to work, and I thought it was a mistake but see on the picture it has an ESATA port for HD and a separate one in a box labeled 'to PC' so it's a bit confusing.
Add to that a line like "The remote still quite good" and you got the impression the author wasn't exactly sober/awake.

Still, it got the job done, and I've seen worse.
I C&P'd the list from the QNAP site - I think they just want to reiterate that FLAC is lossless, for people who don't know the acronym

The "eSATA to PC" is where PC sees the internal hard drive in the QNAP as an external drive, so you can sit on your PC and copy stuff directly to the box without having to go via a network connection. Basically it operates as it would connecting to an internal hard drive making it a lot faster.

chimaera - the advantage of the QNAP is that it takes 5 minutes to setup, it has the best build quality and hard drive install I've ever seen for a media player, and has a beautiful interface. QNAP simply goes for the premium market, that's all. For our audience, it's not as attractive, no, but on other mainstream review websites I'm sure it'll get a better review.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote