bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Nov 2010, 10:43   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
A Letter from Minecraft

Joe's been on holiday in Minecraft lately and he's sent us a letter, bless him.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...om-minecraft/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:12   #2
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yay, it's here! Awesome article, great read. Top notch write-up Joe.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX || FX-8150BE || 16Gb Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz || 2xGTX285 SLI || 2xOCZ Agility 3 120Gb RAID0 for OS
Journeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:16   #3
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks like some efforts gone into those creations. Nice.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:20   #4
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
I love minecraft. I must have wasted DAYS in it. Good server you guys have, I might come and join at some point.
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:33   #5
Yoy0YO
Lurky Lurker

Yoy0YO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh noes! Hes in minecraft! He'll be trapped in there for days on end!
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:33   #6
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow, the king of minecraft, i am very humbled Fun article, great idea, and nice write up!
Its certainly made my day and I hope the others are suitably happy too!
I have to say, thanks to all that made this server what it is, put the time in to make the creations, worked together and a big thanks to Bit-Tech and Multiplay UK for now providing us with a bigger and better server with which I hope to return our server to glory when the map gets re-ported back across!
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:34   #7
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoy0YO
Oh noes! Hes in minecraft! He'll be trapped in there for days on end!
I was tempted to write the article as a ransom letter actually, as playing Minecraft sometimes feels less like a holiday and more like I'm being held hostage by my imagination...

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:42   #8
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Being a Minecraft purist i would prefer that everything built came from something that was mined .

All my stuff was, but that is why it does not look anywhere near as good as your creations
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:46   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
Being a Minecraft purist i would prefer that everything built came from something that was mined .

All my stuff was, but that is why it does not look anywhere near as good as your creations
But mining is boring and heavily time consuming. I'm all about the creations personally. People are welcome and completely free to go mine and create if they like, there's nothing stopping it.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:47   #10
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:

I'm with you on that. I only build with what I've mined, really - and I'm not interested in making Minas Tirith replicas personally. I usually prefer Singleplayer and just play to explore the world. I'm weird, I know.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:50   #11
yakyb

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi

But mining is boring and heavily time consuming. I'm all about the creations personally. People are welcome and completely free to go mine and create if they like, there's nothing stopping it.
completely agree ( apart from mining being boring) and each to his own, i love the idea behind SMP (and SSP) when it works correctly

just yesterday i happened upon a huge set of caverns full of ores but they where also pitch black and therefore also full of monsters it was exciting finding my way around them whilst also dodging the deadly hissssssss

the genre plays on some of my favorite books / movies / TV shows

Swiss family Robinson
Robinson Crusoe
Castaway (Lesser extent)
Lost( season 1)
Z for Zachariah < Good Book
the original Flight of the pheonix

Last edited by yakyb; 15th Nov 2010 at 12:08.
yakyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:23   #12
Xtreme_Machine
Survivalist

Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.Xtreme_Machine is definitely a rep cheat.
Great article!

Too bad dutchyland was a big empty plot during your visit although the completed project is probably not that exciting to non-dutch :P
Xtreme_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:26   #13
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Very funny article. But I'm pretty sure it's "panomama" and not "panorama"...

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:29   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Swiss family Robinson
Robinson Crusoe
Castaway (Lesser extent)
Lost( season 1)
Z for Zachariah < Good Book
the original Flight of the pheonix
You should try reading Alas, Babylon by the sounds of it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alas,_Babylon

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:30   #15
Stewb
Hypermodder

Stewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb View Post

So you really wouldn't approve of my awesome(ly garish) castle made of pure gold then?

It was left overs from building the stadium letters so I thought may as well...
Stewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:35   #16
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice article .

To be honest, I'm on two sides of the "build from what you've mined" argument. In singleplayer, yes definitely. But in SMP where we have no PvP or hostile mobs, I don't care either way. I did start off by mining everything myself, but it was a total pain in the ass. Especially when builds need something in the order of tens of thousands of bricks.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:39   #17
yakyb

thanks for the link Joe ill pick it up

@Stewb not that i don't approve at all i found them very impressive just not the way i chose to play the game, the underground theatre is amazing ( didnt i see you building that when you were near completion)
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:46   #18
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
mine what you build or use google sketchup?
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:56   #19
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeh View Post
Wow, the king of minecraft, i am very humbled Fun article, great idea, and nice write up!
Its certainly made my day and I hope the others are suitably happy too!
I have to say, thanks to all that made this server what it is, put the time in to make the creations, worked together and a big thanks to Bit-Tech and Multiplay UK for now providing us with a bigger and better server with which I hope to return our server to glory when the map gets re-ported back across!
I bet it did ! I still remember the day Joe mentioned me in a news and ,on my name, there was a link to one of my posts bitching about framerate bs (as always). That did make my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Martin
"Unless you require your games to never dip below 30fps, you should not strike The Orange Box off your PS3 holiday wish list." Writes IGN's Hilary Goldstein - something which is sure not to please Ghys.

| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:57   #20
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Crazy, was early days when I last went on the server. Haven't been on in ages, but it's come along so much! Will have to pop on tonight and have a look around.
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote