bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:19   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Asus LGA1155 Motherboard Preview

New ROG and TUF boards, plus a look at the new EFI BIOS of the forthcoming boards

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...oard-preview/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:41   #2
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
like the usb 3 box
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:47   #3
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WOW!! It's so beautifull, I want to know more!
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:50   #4
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
That Sabretooth TUF board is absolutely hideous. Regardless of how hardcore it is for spilling LN2 all over that's horrid.
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:52   #5
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Too bad it only uses dual CH RAM
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:58   #6
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WOOT! UEFI!
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 13:02   #7
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
I sincerely hope that this will be native EFI and not EFI with BIOS emulation (as has been done with some laptops). Though since this is Asus, I don't think they'd pull a trick like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwini View Post
Too bad it only uses dual CH RAM
In tests, triple-channel RAM had no appreciable performance improvement over dual-channel, except in a couple of cases with 3D rendering programs.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 13:21   #8
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
is it the P67 just a guess :P
deathtaker27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 13:28   #9
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
woot EFI here we come!!!
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 13:49   #10
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really wish I was due for upgrade this winter. Imagine a GTX 580, a new sandybridge CPU with one of those mobo's plus some new sandforce 200 SSD's.
I think that can play Crysis 2 (on max maybe )
Old 16th Nov 2010, 14:10   #11
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Can't wait for EFI reviews to start coming in. I have to say, I quite like the look of the Sabretooth, even if I can see it being more of a cooling hindrence than help!
Old 16th Nov 2010, 14:29   #12
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi View Post
WOOT! UEFI!
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded View Post
I sincerely hope that this will be native EFI and not EFI with BIOS emulation (as has been done with some laptops). Though since this is Asus, I don't think they'd pull a trick like that.

In tests, triple-channel RAM had no appreciable performance improvement over dual-channel, except in a couple of cases with 3D rendering programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosch View Post
woot EFI here we come!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post
Can't wait for EFI reviews to start coming in. I have to say, I quite like the look of the Sabretooth, even if I can see it being more of a cooling hindrence than help!
This is just a graphical interface for the old BIOS underneath.

Real UEFI is only possible, when all manufacturers agree upon this new tech as a standard and provide new drivers. UEFI loads the drivers before the bootmanager.

This is why there's only a few laptops and Apple using "real" UEFI so far, as they use standardized hardware, which they've written their own UEFI device-drivers for.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 14:39   #13
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Eitherway, it's a start.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 15:20   #14
Kickbutt
Dremel.. Sounds like a fish

Kickbutt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that Sabertooth cover reminds me of the lego matts you used to get... O.o
Kickbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 15:53   #15
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Although ASUS generally release quality products, seeing questionable design additions such as a "tactical vest" make me wonder about other engineering decisions they've made -- I can't help but wonder if additions like this are the idea of some bright PR guy.

I could be totally wrong -- but covering board components with a large sheet of *insulating* plastic doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

IDK about others, but features such as ROG connect and features with names such as "Super AI Overclock over 9000" are needless frills -- collected and comprehensive OC settings in one place will suffice. It's quality, not quantity.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 16:20   #16
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldunc View Post
Although ASUS generally release quality products, seeing questionable design additions such as a "tactical vest" make me wonder about other engineering decisions they've made -- I can't help but wonder if additions like this are the idea of some bright PR guy.

I could be totally wrong -- but covering board components with a large sheet of *insulating* plastic doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

IDK about others, but features such as ROG connect and features with names such as "Super AI Overclock over 9000" are needless frills -- collected and comprehensive OC settings in one place will suffice. It's quality, not quantity.
There's been case-mods before that covered the mainboard like this and they were'nt an issue as far as I know. You only need to have a decent airflow underneath the cover.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 16:48   #17
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
This is just a graphical interface for the old BIOS underneath.

Real UEFI is only possible, when all manufacturers agree upon this new tech as a standard and provide new drivers. UEFI loads the drivers before the bootmanager.
It'll never happen - look how long we've had the BIOS for. This EFI is just a GUI with a fix for >2TB hard drives.

Having said that, I've played and overclocked using ASUS' EFI on its P8P67 Deluxe and it's the sexeh. It takes patience to relearn how to use it, but I very much like it. I'm currently negotiating with ASUS when we can do a full feature about it.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 17:22   #18
PQuiff
Supermodder

PQuiff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OUCH....how much?
280? 300? but nice all the same...
PQuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 17:52   #19
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
Re: UEFI
We've got some Dell E6510 laptops here at work that have a UEFI BIOS, I finally got Win7 installed (it's not as easy as just bung the disk in) and booting aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddd I couldn't see any noticeable differences.
But hey, at least I'll be sorted if I need to stick a 3Tb drive in it right?
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 18:13   #20
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
I've seen that Sabertooth in pictures before, but it still makes me LOL What a handy way to fry your motherboard components... Oh wait, not fry, cool.. *snicker*. Also just imagine dropping a screw somewhere under that cover "omgomgomg where'd it go.. is it safe to boot this? surely it already fell out????" They really do have a sense of humor at Asus.