bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 3rd Jan 2011, 17:49   #101
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm loving this! What an intuitive cooling solution that actually looks good for once... Mod on!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 18:14   #102
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
I never saw the Mario theme coming! And i lolīd hard when i did Amazing work my friend! I cant wait to see how it will look out in 8 bit
Hehe, nice to hear that the theme is appreciated. I was actually thinking of making the case look like the first Mario character but thought the 1up version would be a little bit more fun and look nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
I had a rough guess it was the 8-bit mushroom but thought no he wouldn't lol & then I thought too awesome an ultra premium mushroom case is so cheesecake .
Haha, "ultra premium mushroom case" nice, I've always wanted one of those. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
I'm loving this! What an intuitive cooling solution that actually looks good for once... Mod on!
Well I'm glad you like the looks of my way of cooling since it's deffinetly not the most effective one. I'm pretty shure it breaks all the rules of heatsink designing there is. hehe but thats what makes it so fun

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 20:35   #103
ringo
Supermodder

ringo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like your cpu cooler, your solution is very cool.
ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 22:08   #104
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo View Post
I like your cpu cooler, your solution is very cool.
Thanks. I hope it will cool as well

Old 5th Jan 2011, 14:06   #105
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The next thing I was planing to do was to drill all the holes in the backplate. But since I don't know the exact position of the holes for the heatpipe-to-backplate-blocks until they're made, I'll do those first. I could have calculated the holeposition in the CAD model and hope that it'll fit in the end. But at this stage I prefer to rather build one piece at a time and to make shure everything fits because there is always the possibility of human error when using a manual mill.

And I got a taste of that human error at this stage. This is the piece that is supposed to connect the heatpipes to the heatsink. The plan was to make two similar pieces. But tired as I was, I managed to screw up the holes on one of the pieces so I only managed to finish one of them.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is the screwed up piece, holes are shifted 3mm to the right and I didn't noticed until after. But anyway I show this because I didn't take a picture of the good piece at this stage.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

The initial plan was to have the bottom sliced part threaded and therefore the top part would clamp down when screwed. But I realized that since the bottom sliced part is actually thinner under the hole and tightening the screw will only result in the bottom piece bending upwards instead of the top. The contact surface wouldn't therfore be totaly flat. So I decided to make the threaded hole in the heatsinkplate instead. A long description for a tiny thing.. but anyway.

Old 5th Jan 2011, 15:38   #106
coolamasta
Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.
Awesome work!!! Will be awaiting the finish

My Main Rigs:~ H2O'd i7 3770K @ 4.5 - 16GB - H2O'd GTX 670 | Asus Z9PE-W8, EP-Xeon 2670 @ 3.2 - 16GB
| ~~~ My Current Dual EP-Xeon 2670 Project ~~~ | ~~~ My Mitsubishi Evo Track Car Project ~~~ |
coolamasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 15:41   #107
McTw1st
Rebirth of S-K-Y-N-E-T

McTw1st has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pah stop doing such a nice job lol no really lookin awsome bubbah
McTw1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 16:48   #108
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Must be awesome being able to make your own heatsinks & it certainly looks mighty fine .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 16:52   #109
robump
Supermodder

robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.robump is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is looking so good! I wish i had the machining skills/the opportunity to do something like this!
robump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 17:53   #110
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolamasta View Post
Awesome work!!! Will be awaiting the finish
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTw1st View Post
Pah stop doing such a nice job lol no really lookin awsome bubbah
Haha thanks. Actually I don't think I'll ever stop doing this as I got atleast 5 more sketched ideas I want to make a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Must be awesome being able to make your own heatsinks & it certainly looks mighty fine .
Thanks..Yes it's a really nice feeling holding the finished pieces and thinking back of the days when I only had acess to a Dremel and some woodclamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robump View Post
This is looking so good! I wish i had the machining skills/the opportunity to do something like this!
Thanks.

Old 5th Jan 2011, 17:55   #111
McTw1st
Rebirth of S-K-Y-N-E-T

McTw1st has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gnu View Post
Haha thanks. Actually I don't think I'll ever stop doing this as I got atleast 5 more sketched ideas I want to make a reality
haha thats awsome! will be waiting for them aswell ^^ +rep for this one!
McTw1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 18:11   #112
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTw1st View Post
haha thats awsome! will be waiting for them aswell ^^ +rep for this one!
Haha thanks.. they'll get their own log here for shure. But I'll have to finish the current projects before I start something new. Wouldn't have started this one if it wasn't for it being so small, in contrast to some of the other ideas.

Old 6th Jan 2011, 06:55   #113
Achron
Cad Pro Quo

Achron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice. I like the simplistic-ish clamps. I would have done something like this:

_/\_

On both sides and then clamped the two together (if you follow that in the least).

Edit: Seriously this forum hates having letters with multiple spaces in between. Argh!

Last edited by Achron; 6th Jan 2011 at 06:57. Reason: Can't draw.
Achron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2011, 11:26   #114
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achron View Post
Very nice. I like the simplistic-ish clamps. I would have done something like this:

_/\_

On both sides and then clamped the two together (if you follow that in the least).

Edit: Seriously this forum hates having letters with multiple spaces in between. Argh!
Thanks.
About your idea, do you mean to mill down the top pieces to make them flex more? Somewhat similar to what I did with the CPU cover in this pic:

BTW. Anyone got any info regarding my touchbutton question in bottom of post #96? Basically, will an anodized surface work as the direct contacting surface for a touchbutton? I'm assuming that the non conductive properties of the anodized surface will not make it possible, but I've never played around with DIY touchbuttons so I can't confirm this.

Last edited by The_Gnu; 6th Jan 2011 at 11:33.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 13:31   #115
lakisss
I know what a dremel is...

lakisss has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice work so far!
Why didn't you use copper for the blocks?
lakisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2011, 13:57   #116
Mattmc91
Ultramodder

Mattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run Crysis
Copper is very expensive, Aluminium is easier to machine and more cost effective. and he'll be anodizing it, you can't anodize copper AFAIK
Mattmc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2011, 14:12   #117
lakisss
I know what a dremel is...

lakisss has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmc91 View Post
Copper is very expensive, Aluminium is easier to machine and more cost effective. and he'll be anodizing it, you can't anodize copper AFAIK
I agree, but copper transfers heat quicker than aluminium to the heatpipes.
That 's why it's used by manufactures at the blocks.
Also copper can be chromed.

Another advantage is that you can solder the copper block and the heatpipes in order to achieve better transfer of heat, better than using thermal paste.
lakisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2011, 18:23   #118
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakisss View Post
Very nice work so far!
Why didn't you use copper for the blocks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakisss View Post
I agree, but copper transfers heat quicker than aluminium to the heatpipes.
That 's why it's used by manufactures at the blocks.
Also copper can be chromed.

Another advantage is that you can solder the copper block and the heatpipes in order to achieve better transfer of heat, better than using thermal paste.
Thanks.
Yes I could have used copper for the heatpipe blocks, you are right, and I was thinking of doing this. But I have no place to buy copper and the only copper I have was to small for the CPU block. So I decided to save it for the CPU and GPU blocks of my ProtoHype project. Soldering the pipes would have been the best I agree, but I hope that thermalpaste and alu will do fine for the pretty low heat output of this mboard.
Thanks for the feedback

Old 6th Jan 2011, 19:57   #119
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
I said intuitive, and now we have precision drilling, detail and heatpipes! Have lots of rep.
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2011, 21:00   #120
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
I said intuitive, and now we have precision drilling, detail and heatpipes! Have lots of rep.
Haha thanks..I like details

Tags
aluminium, godly nostalgia bomb, heatpipe, htpc, mill, mini-itx

View Mode