Old 8th Jan 2011, 08:43   #121
Sanatarium
The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Sanatarium has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking most excellent my friend!
Old 8th Jan 2011, 13:06   #122
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanatarium View Post
Looking most excellent my friend!
Thanks a lot Btw.. its ben a while since your last update. I'm eagerly waiting for your next update.

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 20:17   #123
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Got some more work done in the workshop this weekend. First off I had to make another one of the heatpipeblocks I made last update since I failed on one of them. So now I finally have two. And later on you'll se some drilling of the backplate.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

The following photas are just to test the alignment of the different parts. Nothing is screwed tight at the moment.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

I read in Hannes thread here on the forums that he had used a monitor as lighting. I had to give it a shot and here's my litle attempt at making a new photobooth. My computer monitors are mounted on swiwel arms and I just rotated them 90 degrees and displayed some white background and woohoo all those nasty shadows are gone. Works pretty good for these smaller pieces atleast.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Also played around a bit with some colors in the CAD program and this is how the cooler most likely will look like in the end.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Hope you like it

Old 10th Jan 2011, 23:53   #124
tkgclimb
man it's all harder than it looks

tkgclimb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SO COOL
7Cubed
tkgclimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 00:14   #125
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is looking too sweet. I never thought of the monitor idea. Very original. I finally broke down and bought two softboxes off of Ebay to use for taking pics. I may still pick up a smaller light tent for stuff like this.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 09:38   #126
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkgclimb View Post
SO COOL
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigts View Post
This is looking too sweet. I never thought of the monitor idea. Very original. I finally broke down and bought two softboxes off of Ebay to use for taking pics. I may still pick up a smaller light tent for stuff like this.
Thanks. I would like some real softboxes/tent aswell since the monitors aint that superbright. But I think my weakest link is my cam at the moment since Im still using an old compact cam.

Old 11th Jan 2011, 18:37   #127
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Crazy awesome .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 20:33   #128
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Crazy awesome .
thanks a lot

Old 11th Jan 2011, 22:32   #129
Dahl1n
Modder

Dahl1n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think i want one this case is going to be sweet and i cant wait to see its done
Dahl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2011, 15:56   #130
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahl1n View Post
I think i want one this case is going to be sweet and i cant wait to see its done
Thanks man, but I'm sorry, you won't be getting this one

Old 12th Jan 2011, 16:25   #131
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't think you should have colours, the clean, smooth look is way too cool to not keep.
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2011, 16:31   #132
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
I don't think you should have colours, the clean, smooth look is way too cool to not keep.
No colours? Then I don't think it'll be obvious that it's a mushroom. It would more look like..uhm.. a bunch of cubes.

Old 18th Jan 2011, 03:19   #133
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Time to show what has been done lately. All the 20 heatsink parts need to be mounted on to the heatsink plate. Therefore I need to drill holes in each piece an also thread these holes manually. As you might guess this took a while since there is more than 50 holes, and since this procedure is pretty repetitive I cut down on the action pictures.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

It feels really go to be able to start mounting stuff even though this is only a testmount to check the alignment of the holes. Here you can see the mushroom outline and all the "spots" mounted using M3 hex screws.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

The rest of the parts mounted aswell. Note that the parts are not aligned perfectly since this is only a test, and some of the cubes might look out of place.

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

You might have noticed that the heatpipes are mounted in this last picture. I will show you that in the next update since there is still some more work to be done on the backside. *off to dig some 8-bit tunes*

Old 18th Jan 2011, 06:18   #134
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It really looks like you're building some kind of a satellite death ray device! I must confess I'm trying to skip all the text in your build. Just watching the pics unfold is sending nice jolts down my spine. What will he do next?
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2011, 12:37   #135
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
That's a lot of tapping especially in thick alu , shame white anodising can't be done but it could look great polished up or even just silver anodise, still really looking forward to seeing the finished piece & it would have to be the coolest looking heatsink ever .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2011, 14:17   #136
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh View Post
It really looks like you're building some kind of a satellite death ray device! I must confess I'm trying to skip all the text in your build. Just watching the pics unfold is sending nice jolts down my spine. What will he do next?
Satellite deathray device... sorry to tell you, but that project is on hold since I'm still having some funding issues

Nice to hear you like the moment of surprise, since that is kind of the plan. Att first I intended to show some proper sketches and renders of the finsihed piece, but decided not to since I guess It might have ruined some of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
That's a lot of tapping especially in thick alu , shame white anodising can't be done but it could look great polished up or even just silver anodise, still really looking forward to seeing the finished piece & it would have to be the coolest looking heatsink ever .
thanks Actually as far as I know a close to white anodizing can be done using oxalic acid instead of the sulfuric acid. However I think the grey/silver natural anodized color will look god so I'll stick to that.

Old 18th Jan 2011, 17:41   #137
Dark~3nergy
what was dat sandvich ?

Dark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this looks really awesome !
i still don't understand how the rest of the case is going to look like though :worries:
|||||||||
Dark~3nergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2011, 18:28   #138
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is looking awesome. Very nice work.
Old 18th Jan 2011, 18:35   #139
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark~3nergy View Post
this looks really awesome !
i still don't understand how the rest of the case is going to look like though :worries:
thanks...well since the rest of the case is not suposed to be seen it will not be as eye catching as the heatsink but I hope there is no reason to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigts View Post
This is looking awesome. Very nice work.
Thank you very much der woodmeister

Old 18th Jan 2011, 20:15   #140
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
I still stand by my choice of no colour, but this looks great. Non nom nom.
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium, godly nostalgia bomb, heatpipe, htpc, mill, mini-itx

View Mode