bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 25th Jan 2011, 00:02   #161
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gnu View Post

Thanks mate I was about to post them but I had some problems with exel since I want to create a nice little chart. But Im trying to solve it and hope I can post it before the night.
Will be interesting to see, if you achieve the same temps as I do with a Scythe S-Flex @ 800RPM (this fan is totally inaudible from one meter away of it) blowing on the heatsink.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 00:26   #162
lakisss
I know what a dremel is...

lakisss has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Something important: When you post the temp results, tell as and the ambient temp.
lakisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 00:28   #163
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Will be interesting to see, if you achieve the same temps as I do with a Scythe S-Flex @ 800RPM (this fan is totally inaudible from one meter away of it) blowing on the heatsink.
Nice to have some reference material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakisss View Post
Something important: When you post the temp results, tell as and the ambient temp.
Yes, I'll be doing that

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 01:26   #164
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Okay. Finaly got my temp chart done.
I think the results are pretty decent. It proves that the heatsink is atleast cooling. There is still improvements to be made on the cooling, like ditching that cooking oil on all the heatsink parts and replacing it with real thermal paste. And I also need to add the last heatpipe that will use the rest of the case for cooling.

I base the CPU temps on the "Core#0" value from CPUID. For a reference, the values of the stock cooler with no fan in idle was Core#0=65C and GPU core=59C. I assume that the reason for the start temp being lower than ambient temp is because some kind of "standard value" of the tempcalculations, but maybe some of you guys can confirm this.

Well here you go, CPU seems to stabilize at around 45C and GPU at 43C

It seems like it takes about 2hours for the temperature to reach peak lvl. I will continue on with my load meassuring tomorrow.

Btw, anyone know of a program that takes meassures and makes it own graph over a long time? I've tried speedfaan but I can only measure for 12m or something.

Last edited by The_Gnu; 25th Jan 2011 at 01:32.
Old 25th Jan 2011, 02:15   #165
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very... very... impressive. When your finished (with your permission of course) I'l love to post a picture that me and a buddy did with bottle caps that is also a Mario Theme. I think it could compliment your finished project quite nicely

but of course, this is your show and if there is any risk of taking your spot light I don't want to post it. This is just so freaken awesome!
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 02:38   #166
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Well, my thingy runs at around 35C (GPU/CPU) with that same ambient of 25C and rises to some 65C when under load in a well ventilated case ofc.
That's about the same as with the standard 60mm-fan @ 3000RPM directly attached to the heatsink.

45C isn't too shabby for totally passive cooling in this "unfinished" state tho and if you can keep it under 80C under laod, then your setup is actually excellent for a passive cooling setup.

I tried to run the board completely without a fan aswell, and it was still stable under load, allthough temps got up to some 95C.

Nicely done at the first glance I'd say

Old 25th Jan 2011, 07:44   #167
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Well done! Sounds good so far, some silver 5 and a 3rd heatpipe will make a world of difference.
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 08:26   #168
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Oh man, that's totally sick.
Old 25th Jan 2011, 08:58   #169
Cosmot
Banned

Cosmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thanks. its very great.
Cosmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 10:58   #170
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
This is insane man really really nice job!!!!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 11:13   #171
Mattmc91
Ultramodder

Mattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run CrysisMattmc91 can run Crysis
sell me it!
Mattmc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 12:23   #172
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I! I! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 12:44   #173
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
very... very... impressive. When your finished (with your permission of course) I'l love to post a picture that me and a buddy did with bottle caps that is also a Mario Theme. I think it could compliment your finished project quite nicely

but of course, this is your show and if there is any risk of taking your spot light I don't want to post it. This is just so freaken awesome!
Thanks a lot, bottle caps sounds nice would love to see that

Quote:
Well, my thingy runs at around 35C (GPU/CPU) with that same ambient of 25C and rises to some 65C when under load in a well ventilated case ofc.
That's about the same as with the standard 60mm-fan @ 3000RPM directly attached to the heatsink.

45C isn't too shabby for totally passive cooling in this "unfinished" state tho and if you can keep it under 80C under laod, then your setup is actually excellent for a passive cooling setup.

I tried to run the board completely without a fan aswell, and it was still stable under load, allthough temps got up to some 95C.

Nicely done at the first glance I'd say
Thanks for showing your temps. I also tried to run the stock cooler without any fan under load in the beginning. I decided to abort when the temps got to 80C since they were still rising. I guess It might have reached 95 aswell.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Well done! Sounds good so far, some silver 5 and a 3rd heatpipe will make a world of difference.
Thanks. Yeah I think There will be some improvements once this is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Oh man, that's totally sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmot View Post
thanks. its very great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
This is insane man really really nice job!!!!
Thanks a lot guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmc91 View Post
sell me it!
It's all a matter of figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45 View Post
HAHA

BTW: Im starting to meassure the load temps at the moment.

Old 25th Jan 2011, 13:00   #174
jrs77
theorycrafting

As far as I know, the CPU does an emergency-shutoff at 105C core-temperature. These Atom-CPUs are really well made actually and intel specifies them with 85C TCASE.

Lot's of people clocking the Atom 330 @ 2GHz as it has alot of headroom there when using the standard-cooling-solution. But hey... it's a chip with 8 Watt TDP to begin with

And for the ION-chip I found this info...

Quote:
The ION chipset throttles its clock rate when it's getting too hot, so it seems to never exceed the 95C. The throtteling begins at approx. 92 degrees - and if it's throttled, you need to reduce temperature to about 82 degrees to get full speed again.
So yeah. If your cooling-solution keeps the temperatures under 80C at full load for CPU-cores and GPU/chip-core, then you won't see any troubles there.

Old 25th Jan 2011, 21:20   #175
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
As far as I know, the CPU does an emergency-shutoff at 105C core-temperature. These Atom-CPUs are really well made actually and intel specifies them with 85C TCASE.

Lot's of people clocking the Atom 330 @ 2GHz as it has alot of headroom there when using the standard-cooling-solution. But hey... it's a chip with 8 Watt TDP to begin with

And for the ION-chip I found this info...

So yeah. If your cooling-solution keeps the temperatures under 80C at full load for CPU-cores and GPU/chip-core, then you won't see any troubles there.
Thx a lot for that info jrs77. I will definetly play around with the fsb to se what result I might get. I don't think I need to worry about reaching that 92C throttel line

I've done some load testing today. I used prime95 and FurMark to stresstest both CPU and GPU at the same time. The results you can see below, I incorporated yesterdays Idle temp measures in the graph. The setup has been running for almost all day and I think it's safe to say that the temps are stable att 55C. It took around 2h for the temps to reach the higest lvl, same as in idle mode.

I had planed to test the setup in a horizontal position aswell but that will be the task for tomorrow. I hope you liked the results as I have to say I'm pretty satisfied.

Old 25th Jan 2011, 21:24   #176
Wicked_Sludge
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
those temps are amazing! congrats!
Old 25th Jan 2011, 21:43   #177
jrs77
theorycrafting

Awesome temps you got there

I think it's safe to say, that your setup is a winner

Old 25th Jan 2011, 22:03   #178
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Woo hoo so it's gonna look awesome, have character, perform nice & with silence , excellent work GNU . +rep
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 22:15   #179
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Sludge View Post
those temps are amazing! congrats!
Quote:
Awesome temps you got there

I think it's safe to say, that your setup is a winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Woo hoo so it's gonna look awesome, have character, perform nice & with silence , excellent work GNU . +rep
Thanks guys I'm more than happy with the temp results so far. I think it's time to play with the fsb a little

Old 25th Jan 2011, 22:40   #180
TimtomNL
What's a Dremel?

TimtomNL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow this looks very nice and the temps are quite impressive!
TimtomNL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium, godly nostalgia bomb, heatpipe, htpc, mill, mini-itx

View Mode