bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Nov 2010, 14:51   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Wozniak predicts a win for Android

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has predicated that Android, not iOS, will win the smartphone war.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-android-win/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 14:56   #2
MaverickWill
Dirty CPC Mackem

MaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run Crysis
It's nice to hear someone saying "Look, they're both good, but X is going to win, and here's why..."

Also, just a quick note - posted this over on Facebook, and the accompanying text reads:

"Wozniak predicts a win for Android. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has predicated that Android, not iOS, will win the smartphone war."

Old 18th Nov 2010, 14:57   #3
dactone
dact-one

dactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
they should make the apple logo spin round on the back of laptops'so it isn't upside down when you open it .
Old 18th Nov 2010, 15:09   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dactone
they should make the apple logo spin round on the back of laptops'so it isn't upside down when you open it .
That's a very old Apple laptop he's using. All the modern ones have the logo the right way up when the lid is open. I never understood how the old ones got out the door with the logo upside down in the first place!
Old 18th Nov 2010, 15:13   #5
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Super intelligent guy. Right about Nokia too, they're trying but they still can't compete with Android, let alone iOS or WebOS
Old 18th Nov 2010, 15:21   #6
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm not surprised, and I don't doubt that he has a good reasoning.

Personally, I cannot stand the Android OS, I'll stick to my iPhone, or a Nokia standard phone (IE: not smart).
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 15:26   #7
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In todays society convenience is favoured over performance, sadly. For some reason, completely beyond my understanding, people actually buy music albums from itunes and the like when the CD can be purchased for less money and is of a higher quality
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 15:34   #8
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
did he mention the windows Phone?
Old 18th Nov 2010, 15:36   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
he forgot jailbroken iOS's
Old 18th Nov 2010, 15:42   #10
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I went Android because I can't stand iTunes.
Old 18th Nov 2010, 16:00   #11
sleepygamer
More Metal Than Thou

sleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysis
I like Android, mainly because of the diversity in handsets and layouts and so on. The Apple philosophy of one setup, one OS means that the platform is more stable and receives more predictable updates, but it does mean that they can overcharge for something that is far from one size fits all. Android has got phones as small as the X10 Mini Pro, which is a lovely little thing to use, all the way up to the Desire HD, and that Dell thing. There's a phone coming up, apparently, with a full 1280x720 screen. Across 4 inches. :O The variance in phones is just amazing.
Lazarus | CPU | Intel C2Q Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz | RAM | 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 666MHz @ 5-6-6-15 | Mobo | ASUS P5B Deluxe | GPU | EVGA GTX460 1GB SC | SSD/Boot | Kingston 64GB SSDNow V | HDD/Storage | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 | PSU | Silverstone Strider 700W | Case | NZXT M59 | Monitor | 20" LG Flatron | Keyboard | Razer Lycosa Mirror | Mouse | Razer Lachesis Wraith Red
I also blog! - It's about hardware and stuff! // Latest review: Sennheiser HD 215 Headphones
I also tweet! - sleepygamester
sleepygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 16:14   #12
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
I can't fault anything he says. Damn.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 16:31   #13
Cafuddled
Minimodder

Cafuddled has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Google always said they would bring out an OS to crush Microsoft, so in this respect they did with the phones... Anyone using windows Mobile 7 by the way?
Cafuddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 16:55   #14
dactone
dact-one

dactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dactone
That's a very old Apple laptop he's using. All the modern ones have the logo the right way up when the lid is open. I never understood how the old ones got out the door with the logo upside down in the first place!
damn thers go's my idea for world domination.... iv already applied for dragons den !
Old 18th Nov 2010, 17:45   #15
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafuddled
Google always said they would bring out an OS to crush Microsoft, so in this respect they did with the phones... Anyone using windows Mobile 7 by the way?
Using Android myself, but a mate of mine has got WP7, and he let me have a go of it. It was definitely slickly implemented and easy to use, but I didn't get much of a chance to fiddle. Definitely looks like a soild effort from my short hands-on though.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 18:35   #16
bodkin
Overheating

bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/e...have-is-bette/
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 18:48   #17
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nokia should rethink and take aim at Blackberry and the business market.

With regards to the iOS and Android, I think that Android will take the lead mainly due to its open-ness and flexibility, Apple have too much of a strangle hold on everything they produce.

Having said that, in my 18 months of using an iPhone 3G I never had a problem doing whatever I wanted to mainly due to the fact that I was happy just rolling along and using it without wanting to get under the skin as it were. Now I have a Desire and because the option is there for more monkeying about with it, that is what I have done.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2010, 18:49   #18
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Just a few days ago I read in the German IT magazine c't' that dark days may be ahead for Android. Not because the OS is any way lacking from a technical point of view, but for the simple reason that the main force behind Android, Google, lacks the necessary patents for successful cross-licensing.

Most of the other big players, including Microsoft, Apple and Nokia, do have large and, more importantly, *relevant* licensing pools. Google hasn't, and what it has is mostly not applicable or interesting in regard to phones.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2010, 02:16   #19
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm25
Super intelligent guy. Right about Nokia too, they're trying but they still can't compete with Android, let alone iOS or WebOS
Right. /s
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2010, 07:50   #20
Comet
Minimodder

Comet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very honest opinion and it shows the direction that Apple wants to go and frankly theres nothing bad about it.
Plain and simple you have two choices. You eighter open you're platform to third-parties and thus fight to become the main platform in the world or you keep your platform closed but extremely polished and get full profits of every unit sold with your platform. Both business models work great and are highly profitable. Unlike Android and Windows Phone 7, Apple doesn't need their platform to reach the same number of devices to reach the same profitability.
The only problem with Apple's model is that if the competition can provide as much quality in its services and interface as Apple, people may end up choosing the platform that gives them more options for the buck. That's precisely what Microsoft and Google are aiming for.
I don't know. I think what will happen in the end is the same that usually happens with all the device based companies. You create enough of a fan base to keep your products going. If you're an Apple fan with most of your home devices being Apple you'll obviously pick Apple's mobile platform and so on even if they don't always have best price/quality ratio.
Fortunatly I've been able to play with each company devices and in all honesty the combination of services and good looks on Apple's side still gives it an advantage. Microsoft platform may not be up to the level of the competition yet, but it has some advantages where it trully counts when compared to Android for instance. Xbox Live Gaming, Zune and the gorgeous looks will do for Microsoft what iTunes and so on did for Apple. Google needs to do the exact same thing. Everything in the cloud is good but it needs to be backed by quality services that are both usefull and fun to use.

Little side note. I'm betting on Android for now. The upcoming Android OS updates will show if Google has the muscle to compete with the companies that have a lot of experience with entertainment media experiences.
Comet is offline   Reply With Quote