bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 24th Jun 2012, 13:34   #41
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

DEFCON Emy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4p84 View Post
As I work in fibre optics I'll field that one.

The core, is the central part of the fibre (or fiber if you are an american heathen). This is were the light travels through TIR. This will have a cladding around it to enhance the TIR and prevent light loss. This would be called bare or primary fibre.
Most will now have a coating on top of this, all of these will be clear so to the naked eye they are difficult to tell apart.

If you want to make light escape from the side to get what is called 'side glow fibre' you will need to get down to the core to stop some TIR.

Hope that helps out.

Ed
Explained better, I did not understand what are the TIR ... ....
How do I get the light effect on the entire fiber?
Old 24th Jun 2012, 14:25   #42
k4p84
Modder

k4p84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFCON Emy View Post
Explained better, I did not understand what are the TIR ... ....
How do I get the light effect on the entire fiber?
Hey,

TIR is total internal reflection, the process by which the light light can travel down the fibre via reflecting off the internal surfaces.

You will need to remove all the cladding and coating to get the side glow effect.

I would recommend you use plastic optical fibre (POF) as it firstly much bigger in general and is far more forgiving.

Alternatively you can google 'plastic optical fibre side glow' and find a local source.

Regards

Ed
k4p84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2012, 17:05   #43
Ulti
Poor student

Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ulti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Wow, this is very artistic! Love your attention to detail!
Ulti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2012, 18:21   #44
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
That's really useful info k4p84 thanks. rep

For anyone who hasn't seen his Lord of the Rings castle project, it really is a must see, flipping amazing & it's complete.
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=142915
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2012, 18:25   #45
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
WOW.

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2012, 23:19   #46
k4p84
Modder

k4p84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
That's really useful info k4p84 thanks. rep
No problem
k4p84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2012, 09:54   #47
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4p84 View Post
Hey,

TIR is total internal reflection, the process by which the light light can travel down the fibre via reflecting off the internal surfaces.

You will need to remove all the cladding and coating to get the side glow effect.

I would recommend you use plastic optical fibre (POF) as it firstly much bigger in general and is far more forgiving.

Alternatively you can google 'plastic optical fibre side glow' and find a local source.

Regards

Ed
Thank you so much for the info k4p84.....
Old 28th Jun 2012, 18:08   #48
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

Proceed slowly due to a problem with fiber optics, sanding it not give me a satisfactory effect lighting level, anyway I wired the first led Strip on the first branch ...

And then today I went to withdraw the plexiglass for my liquid cooling tubs .....

Bye bye.......
Old 28th Jun 2012, 22:21   #49
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oooh... shiny!

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2012, 22:38   #50
Achron
Cad Pro Quo

Achron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAchron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yup, a sideglow POF will give you what you want...much better than sanding would.
Old 30th Jun 2012, 21:17   #51
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

Waiting for the bundle of optical fibers with side lighting from China ... ... I dedicated to pools for liquid cooling. Here are the cuts:

Now we're going to glue the first pieces to the Bowl containing my action figure Jack Sully ... ...

I later realized tubes of inlet and outlet of the bath great ..... ...

Now we practice holes on the Central cylinder ... ... ... and the subsequent application of little tubes ... ...

Here's the finished work in respect of the first Assembly of the pieces of the tanks ..... ...

Stay tuned........
Old 1st Jul 2012, 11:56   #52
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Are you going to use led strips for the branches or optic fibre? IMO optic fibre fed from a rgb light source would be better.
Old 5th Jul 2012, 16:54   #53
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

Until I get the optical fibers with lateral lighting, I finished the large tub, one that will go under the tree. After doing the hole I threaded with a tap from 1/8 to seat the hose (commonly used for wash basin mixers), which will have the task to let
the liquid inside the tank ... ... ...

Water tightness test and subsequent discharge when the wired valve at the bottom of the flexible tube...

One of the two plugs that will block the hole filling and bleeding ..... ...

Final closing of the bowl .... ....

Ciauzzzzz.
Old 5th Jul 2012, 19:45   #54
ASPHIAX
Beyond Complexity Lies Simplicity

ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Nice ! Awesome creativity ! Subbed for sure !

PM me if you went for side glow and want to get rid of the ikea strands you've got !
I could use them for my new build !
W. www.ModWithMe.com
FB. https://www.facebook.com/ModWithMe
ASPHIAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:19   #55
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPHIAX View Post
Nice ! Awesome creativity ! Subbed for sure !

PM me if you went for side glow and want to get rid of the ikea strands you've got !
I could use them for my new build !

Surely I will use one part, but will remain as much fiber as that of Ikea, when you will contact me .... ...
I'll give what you need.
Old 8th Jul 2012, 23:27   #56
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

New up. .. .... today I am dedicated to the support of the pan containing Jake Sully, I used the wood since it has good machinability, then I already had at home and the thickness was perfect ... ... .... Seeing a screen shot of the movie I started to draw the shape ... ...

After being cut with the jig saw I took measurements of the three holes of the Pan and precisely at the Center and on the sides, that of entry and exit ... ..... and I scored the wood to make the next cut ... ....

Now at the openings on wood a centered point wood and after to pierce the plexiglass ... ... ...

At this point, as in the first tank with small tubes of plexi, I go to paste them into their housings to inlet and outlet .... ...

Then after the two fill holes and vent, I closed the tray with my Jake waiting for watertight test. .....

Stay tuned...........
Old 9th Jul 2012, 01:52   #57
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking forward to what comes next & have been & will be doing all the way, what you are doing looks extremely ambitious.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2012, 11:30   #58
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Love the avatar hybernation growth chamber thingy
Old 13th Jul 2012, 11:41   #59
DEFCON Emy
The Emy Charger

Pan test OK .... ....
And fiber optics to side lighting arrived ... ...

And now at work!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th Jul 2012, 11:55   #60
GamerIDGoesHere
www.^.com

GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Wow. Just wow. This Blew me away. If you can pull this off, it will be amazing. Nice idea with the Avatar hibernation thing, is that going to be the reservoir?

Keep Up the awesome modding, and subbed.
- Dan
GamerIDGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode