bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Nov 2010, 17:34   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Hitachi paves the way to 24TB disks

Hitachi, in conjunction with NEDO, has developed a technology for producing 24TB HDDs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...i-24tb-disks/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 17:40   #2
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"3.9TBdot/inch≤", that's a lot of data to lose at the drop of a magnet.
Old 26th Nov 2010, 17:53   #3
Valinor
Multimodder

Valinor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It'd take quite a few years for SSDs to get down to the same-ish price level as hard drives, so making hard drives bigger in the meantime seems like a great idea.

24TB tho, who would use that much storage? (assuming that you're not trying to run a database from your home PC, but if you are then they'd be great!)
Valinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 18:00   #4
Twist86
What's a Dremel?

Twist86 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My thought is why would you trust a HDD to store that much information? I would be so paranoid that id have 3-4 24TB drives backing up the primary just in case.
Twist86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 18:30   #5
Dae314
Hypermodder

Dae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist86 View Post
My thought is why would you trust a HDD to store that much information? I would be so paranoid that id have 3-4 24TB drives backing up the primary just in case.
lol RAID5?

More space is always welcome. Although I barely use even 50GB of my 320GB drive that i have right now :P.
Old 26th Nov 2010, 18:33   #6
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You might not want 24TB, but as the article mentions the greater areal density will likely bring with it greater read/write speeds. A 24TB drive will almost certainly have multiple platters, but you could have a single platter drive of the same density which would hold 4TB (assuming 6 platters in the 24TB drive, which I plucked out of my ass) and be faster than an F3. RAID a few of those together and you'll be laughing.
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 19:09   #7
Alsomething
What's a Dremel?

Alsomething has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I look forward to drives of this size for two reasons.
First the pixel count of cameras is forever increasing and my sister a keen photographer is filling up her hard drive with her 12mega pixel SLR. The 1TB hard drive is half full now and she has only been taking photos for about three years, I dread to think how much space will be needed for a life times worth.
Second I would love to burn all my DVD's onto server for easy access and to protect the discs from being scratched, but this needs huge amount of space. I wouldn't want to do serious modding to make it work, I just to have a little home server tucked away with a couple of these in RAID
Alsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 19:47   #8
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dae314
Quote:
lol RAID5?

More space is always welcome. Although I barely use even 50GB of my 320GB drive that i have right now :P.
Hey, I have 3 x 2 TB disks and I currently have 2 of them full. RAW Files, Movies, Music and, of course, Steam takes up ALOT of space.

24 TB would be amazing but I shudder at the thought of the price of 1st gen products...
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 19:49   #9
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is actually a good idea think about it

i have a lot of video and audio files on my pc

i use barely 1tb at moment just upgraded to 2tb hdd

this will allow us to do a backup of a years worth of data
shanky887614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 20:04   #10
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This will come in handy when the successor to BluRay HD comes out in the future! If DVD= 8GB, BluRay=50GB, next HD=320GB?

So compressed DVD=700MB, 1080p BluRay=7.94GB (or 10.9GB), next HD=50GB (or 68GB) per movie? Who knows.

Let's hope that by the next HD we can all buy decent encodes of HD movies like the HD TV shows on itunes.

Just be sure to buy 2 drives and use one as a backup of the first!
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 20:38   #11
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dae314
Quote:
lol RAID5?
Unless they drastically reduce the error count, RAID 5 will be impractical and errors will likely be unrecoverable from.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 20:53   #12
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeaK
You might not want 24TB, but as the article mentions the greater areal density will likely bring with it greater read/write speeds. A 24TB drive will almost certainly have multiple platters, but you could have a single platter drive of the same density which would hold 4TB (assuming 6 platters in the 24TB drive, which I plucked out of my ass) and be faster than an F3. RAID a few of those together and you'll be laughing.
RAID5 is risky with drives 2TB and greater. They would need to invest some new RAID class to use 24TB drives.

Also RAID is NOT for backing up data it is for resilience. To do proper backups you are still looking at tape as the medium to use, Ideally something like LTO 5 which gives you native capacity of 1.5TB per tape (upto 3TB compressed, but good luck with that). LTO will give you an archival life of 15 to 30 years, depending on how much you use the tape.
Old 26th Nov 2010, 21:12   #13
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
we said the same thing when 1GB drives were announced ...
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2010, 21:13   #14
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
andy mc will they work on normal pc's though that lto5
shanky887614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2010, 03:53   #15
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanky887614 View Post
andy mc will they work on normal pc's though that lto5
Yes, but it depends on how deep your pockets are. The drive generally run on SAS (Quantum has some that run on 6gb SAS).

This sort of thing is not cheap, I have an LTO 2 drive that I'm debating selling thats hardly been used which I could get a few hundred for, but as the interface is SCSI using it on windows 7 is a no go
Old 27th Nov 2010, 05:52   #16
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.
There is an issue with Win7 and SCSI?
Old 27th Nov 2010, 06:02   #17
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo View Post
There is an issue with Win7 and SCSI?
Well when I last tried I could not find any working drivers for any of my SCSI cards for win 7, at the time no-one else could either from the hours I spent looking on the net, but it may have changed since then.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 06:28   #18
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
That's pretty sweet, I'll take 3. One for use, one for backup and one for a backup of the backup

I'd commit suicide if I lost 24TB of data
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2010, 07:52   #19
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
This guy might be intersted in this news

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/modding...-90tb-server/1

Also pr0n enthusiasts
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2010, 09:19   #20
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
And video editors.

Or to put it another way: 24Tb disks?
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote