bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Dec 2010, 08:16   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Fractal Design Arc Preview

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...-arc-preview/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 08:36   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Could make for a pretty understated watercooled rig if there's space up top.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 08:41   #3
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Do like:

Front Faschia; Nice fan grills, curvy corners, finish, button & connector position.
Nice powder coating all round.
Loads of fan mounts!
Nice motherboard mounting and cable grommets.

Don't like:

BIG branding on front.
Side panel fan mount (looks cheap and flimsy).

I'm assuming this is still in development, things they should do is ensure enough space between motherboard tray and side panel for cables, and lost some of the hard drive mounts, lower the 5" bays so you can fill the roof with radiator! Otherwise it's looking so far, if it comes in at the same price as the Define (or hopefully, cheaper) it could be decent.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 08:55   #4
Fractal Design
What's a Dremel?

Fractal Design has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hello everyone,

Some quick comments from us at Fractal;

- We'll release new pictures shortly, in which I promise the whole design will make much more sense. Especially top and front panel...
- Dual 120 rads, also thicker ones up to 60mm, will fit perfectly even with bigger memory modules like for example Corsair Dominator
- There is 2x 140mm fan slots in the front, not 120mm
- It will be 1x USB 3.0 and 3x USB 2.0
- Expected street price is 69.99 GBP / 79.99 EUR incl. VAT
- The case is considerably wider than Define, which gives much more space behind the M/B plate for cable routing
- There is 8x HDD trays, not 7x, and the upper four are in a removable, rotatable HDD cage.
Fractal Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 09:09   #5
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
really don't like the finish on the front panel, doesn't fit in with the rest of the case. This reminds me of the CM stacker finish. The problem with this is that when you touch it it can be quite rough and sometimes to the point were it will takes skin off you fingers or scrapes your nails when handling, leaving stuff inside the narrow groves which is difficult to remove. Try and wipe it down with a cloth and it will tear fluff and thread off it which again gets stuck eeww.

The rest looks fine. I wish they would update their front panel.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 09:31   #6
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
put the doors back please!

the mesh looks horrible.

other than that, could do with a bit of headroom on top for radiators.

also, is that a removable hard disk drive container in the middle? have case manufacturers finally cought on? i've been hold off because i fear of really long video cards that won't fit in any other case, my Antec p182 can fit any length graphics card without problem when i remove the middle drive container. only Corsair 600T and this case seem to have finally got the idea.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 09:59   #7
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal Design View Post
Some quick comments about the specs;
- The case do fit 2x 120mm radiators in top, even thicker ones (60mm) and with bulky memory modules, like for example Corsair Dominator.
- There is a lot more space behind the motherboard plate for cable routing compared to the Define, this case is 230mm wide opposed to 212mm in Define.
- There's 2x 140mm fan supports in front
- It will be 1x USB 3.0 included, 3x USB 2.0
- It is 8x HDD trays, 4x of them in a removable, rotatable HDD cage (the upper ones)
- Expected street price is 69,90 GBP, incl. VAT
- Probably, 3x 140mm fans will be included, not finally decided though.
Welcome Hannes!

(for everyone else who wants to know who that is, check here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...future-cases/3)
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:10   #8
dangerman1337
Supermodder

dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal Design View Post
Hello everyone,

Some quick comments from us at Fractal;

- We'll release new pictures shortly, in which I promise the whole design will make much more sense. Especially top and front panel...
- Dual 120 rads, also thicker ones up to 60mm, will fit perfectly even with bigger memory modules like for example Corsair Dominator
- There is 2x 140mm fan slots in the front, not 120mm
- It will be 1x USB 3.0 and 3x USB 2.0
- Expected street price is 69.99 GBP / 79.99 EUR incl. VAT
- The case is considerably wider than Define, which gives much more space behind the M/B plate for cable routing
- There is 8x HDD trays, not 7x, and the upper four are in a removable, rotatable HDD cage.

Can i has two USB 3.0 ports . Also is there going to be Dust filters for the side panels?
dangerman1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:11   #9
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks like a good case but in my opinion the door should have been left on, this would improve the looks greatly. You would just run with the door open to get the best cooling (Like I do with my Define R2).

I do like the fact that this is wider than the R2 to allow for better cable routing behind the MB tray. If anything this is the biggest critisism I have with the R2, the PSU cable and 8 pin (5v) MB cable can struggle to fit behind the MB tray.

Finally that is a very suggested retail price. It's good to see a manufacturer release decent cases at decent price points.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:18   #10
cool_dude
Officially a decade on BitTech!

cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
how is the airflow in this? I had a R2 and it just kept heat in like an oven - i think it was the 'sound proof' material, which counter-worked as you needed to add more fans to cool down the case from the heat that the 'sound proof material' made.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:24   #11
Vinni3
What's a Dremel?

Vinni3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is there any place to mount a res or pump?
Vinni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:25   #12
Fractal Design
What's a Dremel?

Cool_dude: This case is very much targeted at cooling, 8x fan slots in total and 3x 140mm included. Althbough the Define R3 is not poor in cooling(see BT review http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...ne-r3-review/1), the Arc will definitely be even better and also support watercooling in top plate.

Last edited by Fractal Design; 3rd Dec 2010 at 10:30.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:31   #13
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Hi all, just a note to say that we've been provided with some new images for the case which we've subbed into the article.

Its worth going back and having another look as it certainly looks better.

Just shows you what a difference a decent photographer makes rather than our guerilla shots.

Cheers
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:32   #14
Fractal Design
What's a Dremel?

maximus09: Please note that the finish on the front panel will be less "striped" in the final version and will definitely not be felt when touching it. It will be similar to the alu-look we have on the Define R2/R3/XL front panels.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 11:00   #15
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
new pics look very very nice! lian li watch out.- are they more how it looks? the old shows were much much less nice.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 11:50   #16
sleepygamer
More Metal Than Thou

sleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysis
Preeeeeeettyyyyyyyyy.

I want can haz. Would make for a very good air cooled build. I can see a few mods I would do, as well.

I do like. A lot. Especially if it comes in at 70. I'd buy the hell out of it.
Lazarus | CPU | Intel C2Q Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz | RAM | 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 666MHz @ 5-6-6-15 | Mobo | ASUS P5B Deluxe | GPU | EVGA GTX460 1GB SC | SSD/Boot | Kingston 64GB SSDNow V | HDD/Storage | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 | PSU | Silverstone Strider 700W | Case | NZXT M59 | Monitor | 20" LG Flatron | Keyboard | Razer Lycosa Mirror | Mouse | Razer Lachesis Wraith Red
I also blog! - It's about hardware and stuff! // Latest review: Sennheiser HD 215 Headphones
I also tweet! - sleepygamester
sleepygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 11:53   #17
Fractal Design
What's a Dremel?

Memroot: The new pics are definitely more fair in reflecting the looks...the first one were just taken by us quickly in the office with very poor lighting.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 12:13   #18
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's how you do it. All manufacturers should send members of their staff to the forums and talk to their customers in public. That's how you build up good reputation

At the mentioned price this case should be rather a very well choice and I like the minimalistic design.
The only thing I'll never understand is the placement of the USB/Audio/Power in the top, as I'd never place my case under my desk but only at my desk, where this placement is totally useless. I need those things in the front, preferably at the bottom, close to the desk itself.
There should be a law prohibiting to put your case under your desk actually

Oh, and I hope Fractal will release a nice mini-ITX-case (something like the Silverstone Sugo05) sometime next spring, when I'm on to build myself a SandyBridge based SFF-system

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 12:40   #19
CharlO
Multimodder

CharlO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fractal, you rock'd my world! Any chance of coming to Argentina?
CharlO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 12:47   #20
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is one very sexy case, serious water cooling madness in there. Makes me wish I didn't prematurely buy my Lian Li.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote