bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Dec 2010, 10:49   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Asus O!Play HD2 Review

In a market of many media players, how does Asus stand out from the crowd with its O!Play HD2?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/med...layer-review/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 11:34   #2
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't get those media-players tbh. Why not simply buy a miniITX HTPC, which can do so much more then just playback some media, allthough it's more expensive I'll admit.
And where's the optical drive for those who still buy videos on DVD/BluRay ?

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 11:37   #3
mav2000
In Training

mav2000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So it really stutters and corrupts blu ray??...wow that sucks.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 12:46   #4
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
I don't get those media-players tbh. Why not simply buy a miniITX HTPC, which can do so much more then just playback some media, allthough it's more expensive I'll admit.
And where's the optical drive for those who still buy videos on DVD/BluRay ?
The benefit from media streamers is a big one over HTPCs. First up, they're low maintenance, and very easy to use. updates are rare, they're quick to turn on. Also, zero moving parts (sometimes) means silent playback, which is tough to get from an HTPC. They're also much cheaper than a media PC, and easier to setup.

If you want to do more than play media, sure, an HTPC is the more flexible solution. But if all you want to do is watch your legally backed up library of DVD ISOs and the like, they're fantastic. Except this one isn't, obviously. Chipsets are pretty varied between players and only a handful can handle Blu-ray ISO.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 12:57   #5
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
The benefit from media streamers is a big one over HTPCs. First up, they're low maintenance, and very easy to use. updates are rare, they're quick to turn on. Also, zero moving parts (sometimes) means silent playback, which is tough to get from an HTPC. They're also much cheaper than a media PC, and easier to setup.

If you want to do more than play media, sure, an HTPC is the more flexible solution. But if all you want to do is watch your legally backed up library of DVD ISOs and the like, they're fantastic. Except this one isn't, obviously. Chipsets are pretty varied between players and only a handful can handle Blu-ray ISO.
The benefits are so tiny, that they don't have any weight tbh.

My Zotac IONITX-A-E is aswell totally low maintenance and 100% silent, but it can playback every media you throw at it and it can do alot of things ontop of that.

Sorry, but I don't see any point that would justify a pure media-player in the 21st century.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 13:37   #6
chimaera
Multimodder

chimaera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There is a slight difference here in price - I just built a very nice XBMC-based HTPC for a friend of mine for about 290 but I couldn't manage that same feat for 100, so its a function of available budget.

However personally I'd much rather chuck a few extra quid at it and get a much more powerful (and versitile) box

D
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 15:22   #7
glaeken
Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

glaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't quite understand these either. Why wouldn't you just get a PS3 to be your media server? Seems like my PS3 can do everything this can (sans-nas/torrent) and play games.
Old 9th Dec 2010, 15:55   #8
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
for a community that prefers to build their own home servers instead of buy NAS boxes, they may seem useless.

i have bought a NAS box, due to low maintaince and that it just works out of the box. and i am also looking at buying a media streamer for simplicity. isn't it nice to be able to take it out of the box, plug it in then just sit back and use it?

sorry, please stop those comments such as "i don't get xyz". we don't care, if so many company are making them, then there must be a market for it, the real niche market is those doing their custom builds.

/rant, fed up seeing these comments in these articles, especially in the fantastic NAS box articles bit-tech as been doing.
Old 9th Dec 2010, 16:53   #9
RonanH
mod-envious

RonanH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have the PlayOn HD Mini and I love it (as do my wife and children). It's as easy to use as the tv. It streams any media from my NAS (Synology DS210J which is an awesome piece of kit). I considered building a HTPC but size, cost, maintenance, noise, power use all stopped me. The OS alone is 100 (and don't suggest Linux, I wanted simplicity )

Media streamers are a fantastic way to get media from your pc/nas to your tv and if you want to watch on another tv just buy a 2nd one. I love it.
RonanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2010, 19:58   #10
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want to see something like this WITH the added features of say the Roku box, where you get Hulu, Netflix and so on as well with the prettiness of the QNAP interface.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2010, 07:30   #11
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i got an ASUS HDP-R1 OPLAY HD for free x264 can be spoty (no total time shown so fast-forward hangs the box) depending if the encoder did there job correctly Xvids seem to play no problem

not updated the box yet (but unsure as the forums seem to say makes things worse with updates)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:08   #12
behaviour
What's a Dremel?

behaviour has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I bought one if these bricks. Terrible. Freezes, stops, can't use/deletes files. Keeps freezing and losing internal HDD. I've spent more time messing about with this thing than watching anything. ASUS HD2 O!PLAY is a waste of money. You have been warned.
behaviour is offline   Reply With Quote