bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 12th Dec 2010, 00:21   #1
barcode.uk
What's a Dremel?

barcode.uk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Which SSD with 150 budget?

Hey everyone, just curious if anyone can recommend a great SSD as a boot drive with a budget of 150?

It's a bit of a minefield and I have read a few conflicting reviews with no definitive choice.

I'm upgrading from an old OCZ Solid Series SSD which has it's moments :S

Cheers
barcode.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2010, 03:52   #2
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Crucial C300 is a great investment
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2010, 09:20   #3
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/90gb-...-write-275mb-s
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2010, 09:46   #4
barcode.uk
What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys , loving scans mis-label on the corsair drive title "ocz 90gb force" so it's between the corsair drive and possibly the crucial + highpoint raid card at the min.

I'm liking the idea of the corsair more just because of the extra storage but it's not a deal breaker.

Are the intel x25-m's not worth considering then ?
Old 12th Dec 2010, 16:35   #5
PocketDemon
I *am* a Dremel

PocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming SaiyanPocketDemon is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode.uk View Post
Cheers guys , loving scans mis-label on the corsair drive title "ocz 90gb force" so it's between the corsair drive and possibly the crucial + highpoint raid card at the min.

I'm liking the idea of the corsair more just because of the extra storage but it's not a deal breaker.

Are the intel x25-m's not worth considering then ?
'if' you want to take a chance on your board being compatible with a budget 6Gb/s card then go for the Asus U3S6 - it's as (in)compatible as the highpoint thing, both need a pcie 2.0 slot (a 16x one on most boards), neither have raid, but it's both slightly cheaper & more properly supports 2x 6Gb/s SSDs (each of the 2 ports supports ~500MB/s vs the shonky highpoint with ~500MB/s shared between both ports).

150 is an odd budget though as it's not enough to go for something exciting but too much for a basic option...

Well, as is my normal recommendation (unless there's an odd usage type & until the 'proper' 6Gb/s SSDs are out), i'd also consider at a pair of 60GB SFs in R0 which, whilst ~28 over budget (inc p&p), will vastly out perform a single C300 & doesn't involve taking a chance on a card that might or might not work.

[remember that the SFs don't respond instantly to trim/are vastly more reliant on idle time garbage collection for maintaining speeds than the C300 & so, along with trim not being necessary in general, makes them a much better choice for R0/non-trim environments]
PocketDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2010, 22:44   #6
barcode.uk
What's a Dremel?

I've decided to take the plunge and go for the corsair force f90 on Ph4ZeD's recommendation. Cheers for the advice guys anyway!
Old 12th Dec 2010, 23:04   #7
Cleggmeister
Of reasonable knowledge...

Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I bought the Corsair Force 120 a few weeks ago, love it.
Serving: HP Proliant Microserver N40L running Openmediavault.
Cleggmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2010, 10:26   #8
mav2000
In Training

mav2000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just ordered my first SSD, is an OCZ V2 90GB. Lets see how that goes.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot drive, ssd