bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 12th Dec 2010, 23:49   #1
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Ancient Greek Mechanism + Lego = Pure WIN

This is just awesome. The chap who did the lego difference engine has now built a fully functioning replica of the Antikythera Device - The Ancient Greek astronomical computer.

http://acarol.woz.org/antikythera_mechanism.html

Is there nothing that Technical Lego can't do?
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2010, 00:08   #2
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
The "Antikythera mechanism" sounds like something from Mass Effect.

Totally awesome though, mindboggling to think that it was made 2200 years ago.
Old 13th Dec 2010, 00:59   #3
Psycho
Average

Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Psycho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2010, 08:53   #4
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I wasted about 5 hours yesterday making a manual gearbox out of lego because of this video.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2010, 09:26   #5
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
Totally awesome though, mindboggling to think that it was made 2200 years ago.
Isn't it just. I've been watching a programme on BBC2 called Ancient Worlds. They've done an episode on the Greeks, and mention the device and Hero's steam engine. They then speculated what would have happened if Hero had realised what he had, and not just thought it a toy... We could have had the industrial revolution 2000 years before it happened for real.

Just think where we'd be know. Probably still waiting for our flying cars, but it's interesting to wonder how far forward technology would be.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
Old 13th Dec 2010, 10:26   #6
Archtronics
I *am* a Dremel

Archtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I think we would be alot further foward technology wise in life if the silly christians hadn't come along and started repressing everything.
Archtronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2010, 10:38   #7
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

Help, Help! I'm being Repressed!

BTW - If you want to know more about the device, I can highly recommend Jo Marchent's book, Decoding the Heavens.
- Carl Sagan

Old 13th Dec 2010, 13:22   #8
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

There's an article about Andrew Carol and his technical lego creations on New Scientist:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ab.html?page=1

You need to register to read the piece - but it's free (and gives you access to everything on the site)

I have got to see his next project - Lego AI!
- Carl Sagan

Old 13th Dec 2010, 13:44   #9
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thats just fantastic. 2000+ years ago and they had this kind of power?!
Old 14th Dec 2010, 01:50   #10
BenK
Multimodder

BenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pretty cool. Just visited a mate whose dad is one of the leading researchers on the Antikythera Device
BenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2010, 02:29   #11
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Wow, the amount of technology we could've had...

Insane.
Old 14th Dec 2010, 02:58   #12
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton View Post
Wow, the amount of technology we could've had...

Insane.
Stupid dark ages....

(joke, drunk )
Old 14th Dec 2010, 12:16   #13
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars-bar-man View Post
Stupid dark ages....

(joke, drunk )
But entirely right...

Tags
ancient computers, awesome, greek geeks, lego

View Mode