bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Dec 2010, 10:57   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Alienware M17x power glitch throttles CPU to 316MHz

Owners of Alienware M17x gaming laptops are complaining of a serious performance glitch.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...mance-glitch/1
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:11   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Impressed that the flaw made it through QC/QA processes.

Clearly they don't graphically stress the machines as standard.

As for sorting the problem in a satisfactory way.. Not gonna happen. Some owners, somewhere, are going to remain pissy.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:59   #3
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
dell are pants for this sort of stuff

- though having said that my XPS is now charging again 'yay'
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 12:14   #4
yanglu
Hmm...

yanglu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
This has led many sufferers to worry that the only solution in sight involves changing the hardware, with Dell either providing beefier power supplies or more energy-efficient GPUs.
Surely downclocking the GPU's slightly would solve the problem. Just drop the 280Ms by about 50Mhz each or something. It's not ideal but with that much graphics power, I doubt you'd notice any difference in most games.
yanglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 12:35   #5
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.
Alienware have gone downhill since Dell bought them.

The ones at uni have been nothing but trouble.

The fan control software seems to have a mind of its own, and some machines are just stuck at 100%, which makes them literally sound like a jet, its louder than the big AC unit in the room.
Random BSODs plague them too.

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 12:50   #6
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Gaming laptops..... an oxymoron if ever there was one
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 14:34   #7
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ouch! How much do these things cost, again?
Old 21st Dec 2010, 15:03   #8
TheUn4seen
Modder

TheUn4seen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, they kinda deserved it for thinking that any laptop can be suitable for gaming. I saw many people having problems with Alienware lately, which can be frustrating given their price - altough I bought an m11x and i love it so far, but I obviously don't play games on it. I bought it because it's heavy, bulky and I love the sharp-angled style, personally I'm sick and tired of the ubiquitous curvy, Apple "look at me, I'm gay" style most manufacturers try to copy.
TheUn4seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 15:18   #9
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Gaming Laptop is an oxymoron - You don't expect anything to last with a QX and 280M SLI.
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 15:36   #10
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I expect the GPU and CPU shares the same heatpipe+fan..... when the GPU gets hot, the heat is transfered back to the CPU resulting in the CPU getting throttled.... design fail
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 15:51   #11
tron
Supermodder

tron has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUn4seen View Post
Well, they kinda deserved it for thinking that any laptop can be suitable for gaming. I saw many people having problems with Alienware lately, which can be frustrating given their price - altough I bought an m11x and i love it so far, but I obviously don't play games on it. I bought it because it's heavy, bulky and I love the sharp-angled style, personally I'm sick and tired of the ubiquitous curvy, Apple "look at me, I'm gay" style most manufacturers try to copy.
Yeah, the Alienware laptop range make other laptops look like crap. I love their stylish matte look and aggresive angles and futuristic design compared to the common weak 'soft' look.
tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 16:12   #12
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD View Post
Gaming laptops..... an oxymoron if ever there was one
i'll just quote this again for total agreement.

who would want to carry around a brick that can hardly play any game now, and the same brick that can't play any games 6 month down the line?
Old 21st Dec 2010, 16:30   #13
lamboman
I *am* a Dremel

lamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
i'll just quote this again for total agreement.

who would want to carry around a brick that can hardly play any game now, and the same brick that can't play any games 6 month down the line?
3rded here. The only line of "gaming laptops" that every really appealed to me were the old Dell XPS M1710s from 2006, and a couple of their models before that. A gaming laptop that was actually that, a laptop. Sure, it wasn't 100% portable, but you could occasionally move it, certainly nothing like the portly machines we are seeing today.

And even those, I wouldn't go near.
lamboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 17:26   #14
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
and once again dell proves to be a crappy company
Old 21st Dec 2010, 17:31   #15
bobwya
Custom PC Migrant

bobwya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ahhh diddy poos... How sad :-)
bobwya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 17:49   #16
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Lol...natural justice.

A stupid fault finds it way to people who are stupid enough to buy an Alienware/Dell.....

Karma sucks.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 18:38   #17
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
that ps that comes for the m17x puts out 11.8 amps @ 19.5v.. maybe if they can find something bigger online- would fix the problem.. how did that get by testing

this one might do it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045XGHWI/...I&linkCode=asn
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2010, 21:16   #18
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the look of the "gaming" laptops as well. Thanks Dell for continuing to prove to me that the only thing worth buying from you are monitors.

Anyone else think, "so it cant run crysis" from the title of this article?
Old 21st Dec 2010, 22:22   #19
Autti
Multimodder

Autti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
225W, how hot does the laptop get?
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 00:31   #20
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
the closest thing to a gaming laptop is a mini PC with a laptop TFT strapped to the side of the case.

PC Audio: AKG 271 mk II + Samson Go mic. + Asus Xonar D2X
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote