bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Dec 2010, 07:32   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Give Me Back My Water Wings

Sprinting, shooting, jumping, punching. Name any human action verb, and you'll probably find it simulated reasonably well in a game somewhere. Unless, of course, it's swimming.

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...y-water-wings/
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 07:56   #2
Mraedis
Multimodder

Mraedis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The thing is, for most game settings, swimming isn't really adding anything to the gameplay.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 07:59   #3
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Tomb raider has done swimming fine from day 1

slow moving but exploring of caves not knowing if you will survive for air
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 08:10   #4
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Meh, I agree with the point that if a game isn't going to do anything good in the water, they are better off just making it completely impossible, but I really don't think there have never been any good swimming or underwater sequences.
Quote:
Unless you can make a swimming section somehow as action-packed as the rest of the game,
This is exactly the kind of thinking that leads to boring COD clones. Something doesn't have to be action-packed to be good gaming, i don't think i hae to elaborate on that point.

Water (and especially under-water) sequences can be very interesting or cool, because all the rules are different. You can make cool puzzles underwater, have cool fully three dimensional submarine battles, not to mention how gorgeous and mysterious things can look underwater.
Instead of trying to do the things that are good on land, game developers should work on doing things that are good in water, and to a certain extent, they do.
You mention the original Mario, which i think is a perfect example. Obviously it wasn't a very immersive realistic experience, but they DID take advantage of the different workings of gravity under water to mix up the gameplay a bit.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 08:15   #5
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
oh and to add to that why does everything have to be actioned packed, Mortal online has a very realistic swimming style but have included caves underwater to explore.

you can only really explore these caves if you have learnt the required set of swimming skills combine that with the fact that when you die you literally lose everything it can make for some tense moments

if you want action go back to linear games such as COD im sure they would do it well but frankly that type of game doesnt interest me
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 09:15   #6
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I approve of this article.

I have never, ever enjoyed swimming in a game. I would always sigh when I had to work through a water level of Mario, and the classic Sonic games. Although well done, I didn't even really enjoy the water levels in Tomb Raider (although, if she had and oxygen tank thus removing the time limit, I might have) In GTA 4, I would never dip into water to escape the police, I'd have rather just been caught.

I think the only underwater game I enjoyed was Echo the Dolphin....
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 09:21   #7
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I liked the swimming levels in the first and second donkey kong country games.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 09:25   #8
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Also, did anyone ever play Treasures of the Deep? Swimming was great in that, the game had currents to ride and calm area's of ocean to explore, as well as caves and underwater bases. Though, it was really a game about having a kick ass submarine, the fact that you could get out and swim around in almost every level except a few that posed huge risks to your divers life, was kind of a neat thing.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 10:06   #9
mpr
Multimodder

mpr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Eco the dolphin, early Mario titles, and NES version of Jaws were the only games I enjoyed swimming in.

Crysis is the only game I swam in when I wasn't forced to just because it was pretty, but I often grew very bored of it.
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 14:35   #10
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
World of Warcraft, you can swim, and indeed have to in plenty of places

Of course, you just move the forward arrow, and when you enter water, you swim automagically, there's no need to "tread water" or stuff like that, so I guess while the animation is good, its still kinda basic.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 15:25   #11
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ezio Auditore in Assassinís Creed 2.... oh yeah, that one bloody megacombo jumping level where when you failed, you had to swim back to the starting point, restart the mechanism and do the whole thing again.... Aaaargh, i was stuck here for long .
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 16:46   #12
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A buddy and I spent two hours doing nothing but swimming in Mortal Online.

It's a badge of honor in my gaming career. Paddling along the coastline desperately trying to maintain full speed without drowing (possible in this game) because we jumped off a cliff like idiots. Ended up swimming so far we reached a city we didn't even know existed.

There are some games which just need the swimming to feel right! But agreed, when it's not needed it should be avoided.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 18:40   #13
Grape Flavor
Multimodder

Grape Flavor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ugh, no. I would much rather suffer the possibility I might end up enduring some tedious swimming rather than to have every game dev have to design their games so that there's no water. Or use stupid solutions like in GTA III.

If you just can't stand that not every moment of your game is guaranteed to be action packed, just play CoD all the time. Some of us like games where there's downtime, and exploring, and such. It creates atmosphere/immersion and makes the action parts all the more meaningful.

Seriously, what's with these articles? Bit-tech sure has some backwards-looking ideas about gaming. It seems like it's always about what features and possibilities they'd like REMOVED to simplify and streamline games, rather than ADDING additional choices and potential.
Grape Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 19:13   #14
stoff3r
Multimodder

stoff3r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Age of Conan does swimming fine I think. Atleast it looks good and realistic.
stoff3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 20:56   #15
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Aquaria has swimming too (well, only swimming !)
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 21:30   #16
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Flavor
just play CoD all the time.
Sigh.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 22:50   #17
Ripitup121
MMMMMMm watercooling....

Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Cant believe Just Cause 2 wasnt mentioned in this. Actually the first game that made swimming a bit of fun caus you could use the grapple hook to get out anywhere along land, plus so many boats ment you where never stuck doing it too long.

Ripitup121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 04:43   #18
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
or tomb raider underworld
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 07:27   #19
Altron
LIKE A BAUCE!!!!

Altron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Half Life and offspring did a solid job with water. Often, it was part of a puzzle or something where you had to do it in a certain manner so as to not run out of air.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein had some great swimming aspects. One multiplayer map in particularly was really cool because there was a submarine pen that you had to defend.It was a big atrium with catwalks and a pool with a submarine in the center. The other team could attack from the hallways, or swim through a tunnel under the submarine and then come up around it. You could sneak up that way, but you moved slow in water so you were a sitting duck, and only the pistol fired underwater so it spiced up the gameplay.

There can be issues, though. GTA swimming sucked. There wasn't really anything you could do while swimming. The only time I'd ever go in the water was if I wanted to steal a boat or something like that. Boating was kinda fun, but swimming wasn't. IMO the only reason to incorporate it was because they had water, and there were boats, so you needed a way to get to them.

There can also be weird/buggy water. Certain TF2 levels allow you to build sentry guns underwater, which is just ridiculous.

Water can be a fun element if it's done well and if it's pertinent to the gameplay. If they add another element to it, like using the HL2 boat thingy or solving underwater puzzles, then it can be fun. If they just have swimming for the sake of swimming, it gets pretty boring.

e^i(pi)+1=0
Altron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 12:59   #20
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its fine in a few games and I quite liked it in Farcry as a way to sneak up on people.

In Saints Row 2 you can just press triangle to 'warp to shore' when you're nearby so there is no faff of finding a slope to walk out onto. Just another reason why Saints Row > GTA
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote