bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Dec 2010, 16:08   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Microsoft issues Internet Explorer zero-day warning

Microsoft is investigating a flaw in Internet Explorer which it warns can lead to code execution.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-day-warning/1
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 16:18   #2
Fordy
Multimodder

Fordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's ironic that the only people whom use IE, are the ones who do not know how to deal with such threats.
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 16:25   #3
SaNdCrAwLeR
Multimodder

SaNdCrAwLeR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy
It's ironic that the only people whom use IE, are the ones who do not know how to deal with such threats.
it's also ironic that current iterations of IE use such an old version of CSS that most people who fiddle with it are pretty much moving on to CSS3 =X
SaNdCrAwLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 17:39   #4
Krayzie_B.o.n.e.
Supermodder

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Who the hell still uses Internet Explorer?

AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.9ghz, Gigabyte 790gp-UD4H, 2 XFX ATi HD 4890 @ 1ghz crossfire, 4gb OCZ Ram, 2 WD 250gb HD, Raidmax Smilodon, HP w233h + HP MX50
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 17:48   #5
No_Na_Me
PC & water, this can only end well

No_Na_Me has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie_B.o.n.e. View Post
roughly 55 % of visitors to my site, and alarmingly a high percentage are from the UK.

Opera all the way for me.
No_Na_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 17:54   #6
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
another active x exploit
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 18:08   #7
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie_B.o.n.e.
1500 workstations at my workplace, for some god-forbidden reason our admin seem to think IE 6 is great choice of a web browser.
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 18:46   #8
aLtikal
1338-One step infront of the pro's

aLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Tell him, a guy from the internet nicknamed "aLtikal" thinks he is a ****ing stupid ****
aLtikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 19:50   #9
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i use ie - but not 6, and would advise anyone to upgrade from ie6 to a later version.

anyway, no browser is totaly secure, so you cant call people stupid for using ie.
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 20:10   #10
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
no car is ever totally safe, but you chose the safest one right? and if the safest car(s) also performed better and were easier to use then it's a no brainer right, you'd be stupid for using anything else
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 23:17   #11
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdCrAwLeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy
it's also ironic that current iterations of IE use such an old version of CSS that most people who fiddle with it are pretty much moving on to CSS3 =X
You *do* know that newer versions of CSS don't replace older ones, but merely build on top of what is already there? And here's the big shocker: this doesn't only hold true for CSS!

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 23:32   #12
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie_B.o.n.e.
Bit Tech do... I'm viewing the website in IE. Gosh some people .......
Old 24th Dec 2010, 00:38   #13
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
who says the other browsers are safer, just because you dont know about the flaws in the other browsers doesnt make them safer, at least people know there are flaws with ie and can take steps to limit the damage.

check this 2008 article it gives an informed view, it is however now outdated, but still to a point applies.
Old 24th Dec 2010, 05:52   #14
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What annoys me is that I am going to get this patch from windows update even though I don't use IE because if the way IE is tied into Windows. If this were a vulnerability in FF or Chrome, so what, because I don't use those browsers. I don't use IE either, but I'm still stuck with it.
Old 24th Dec 2010, 12:13   #15
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
What annoys me is that I am going to get this patch from windows update even though I don't use IE because if the way IE is tied into Windows. If this were a vulnerability in FF or Chrome, so what, because I don't use those browsers. I don't use IE either, but I'm still stuck with it.
You can completely disable IE on win 7. Maybe not what you're after but it's a step in the right direction.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2010, 12:40   #16
fozmcfc
What you looking at ?

fozmcfc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still use I.E. had no issues for years certainly since I.E.6 anyway.

The biggest annoyance for me at the moment is when you click on new tab and try to open a page, you have to leave an age it seems before opening up a page on it, otherwise it always opens over the other tab you have open.
Old 24th Dec 2010, 13:48   #17
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
about time MS now report the issue with exploit CSS now i do be leave its been actively used my self, Opera is not affected to this issue

what i find interesting is CSS exploits happening in google search for images as one of my customers was and most likely more, when i clicked on the search result opens the pages then runs an CSS exploit and trys to install fake av software in the background (opera just gets some error when it trys to run it bad code)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2010, 14:47   #18
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Na_Me View Post
roughly 55 % of visitors to my site, and alarmingly a high percentage are from the UK.

Opera all the way for me.
Opera's great but it's on version 11.00 at the minute, so will wait for 11.01 before returning to using it for everything as they always find and thankfully fix bugs in new builds quickly.

I only use IE for Youtube vids and other non-essentials now, but we'll see what v9 brings - not that I'd stop using FF for all the general purpose stuff.
Old 24th Dec 2010, 17:19   #19
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucgoo
no car is ever totally safe, but you chose the safest one right?
Haha, NO!

My neighbour has just bought a Chrysler Voyager MPV. 40mph collision with a wall = fatal chest injury & lost limns for the driver according to ncap, & the older model which still sold reasonably well it was driver decapitation at 30mph. If it was all about safety first, there would be a lot less brand diversity on the road network.

More accurate, in any event, to compare to our choice of security systems, but what thought to you give to the brand or type of lock on your front door? The majority of users are suffering because of the popularity of their choice, not because it is specifically so much more vulnerable than any other out there.
Old 24th Dec 2010, 18:56   #20
Devolve
Deadbeat

Devolve has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucgoo
no car is ever totally safe, but you chose the safest one right?
Haha, NO!

My neighbour has just bought a Chrysler Voyager MPV. 40mph collision with a wall = fatal chest injury & lost limns for the driver according to ncap, & the older model which still sold reasonably well it was driver decapitation at 30mph. If it was all about safety first, there would be a lot less brand diversity on the road network.

More accurate, in any event, to compare to our choice of security systems, but what thought to you give to the brand or type of lock on your front door? The majority of users are suffering because of the popularity of their choice, not because it is specifically so much more vulnerable than any other out there.
The difference here is they are getting "functionality" of a people carrier. I dont see any "real" functionality of IE over any other browser. fair enough not everyone goes for safest car, but its usually the something-est. most IE users are just going with whats already there. Either way, any bad choice is usually due to ignorance, car or computer.

Evolution is the myth. Look around you the world isn't
evolving...it's DEvolving.
Devolve is offline   Reply With Quote