1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HIS launches PCI Radeon HD 5450 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Dec 2010.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Neonhalo

Neonhalo Generic 250w Grey PSU

I'd say this is a good thing, personally. As someone who builds industrial PC's for a living, customers have a habit of specifying PCI graphics cards. This could very well be the middle-ground between our current PCI choice (Geforce FX5200) and the higher-end PCIe cards we spec... Colour me happy.

3. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

This could be useful for my job, as we require 3 monitors on everyone computer. But with the invention of Vista/7, and its more strict driver policy, you havent been able to mix gfx cards (ati+nvidia, onboard sis+matrox etc). So this has meant we are restricted to using XP still.

Unless anyone knows how to mix gfx cards easily, because i ended up pulling my hair out after spending 2 days reinstalling, and trying so many different combos.

4. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Would have been awesome if it came out before ion. Still a nice move from HIS though.

5. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Initially I burst into laughter at the mention of "PCI graphics" but then I remembered the useless Dell Dimension 3000 I'm using as a door stop atm..

This could help it a lot :)

6. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Simon, Windows 7 supports simultaneous running of two different graphics cards and drivers. That's what gives people the ability to run an ATI card as a main with an nVidia card for PhysX.

Vista didn't support it, but 7 does.

7. Baggpuss

Baggpuss What's a Dremel?

I though nVidia implementated something into their drivers to prevent people from doing that?

8. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

so, anyone think that this card paired with a 230 atom could pump 1080p nicely?
    I have my doubts about the cpu feeding the card and the paltry throughput of the PCI bus :S

9. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

Might be a laugh to see if I could get 1080p on an old sff Pentium 2 box :D

10. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Hi Jared,
    Yes, you can install the drivers, but if you actually try to output desktops on both ATI and Nvidia (for example, you can exchange any vendor in there) cards, say 2 ATI and 2 Nvidia, only 2 screen will work. Windows will then give you a snooty message about the incompatibility to mix the drivers and just turn the 2 other screens off.

If your using it as a PyhsX card, you dont need any actual output from the card.

11. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

great news, my dev pc should now handle 12 monitors

(not that i need them, i only use 5)

but seriously this is a good thing the 5450 is a good card

12. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

The error message would likely of happened in Vista, but not Win 7.

I have an ATI 5870 E6 + 880GTS, with Win7 I can run 8 monitors no problem (6 from the ati, 2 more form the nvidia).
    Win 7 does not screem about the drivers being incompatible, they both function perfectly fine.

I have even used SoftTH to span a game across 5 monitors using 3 outputs form the ATI card as an eyefinity display in the middle and the 2 outputs from the Nvidia card as additonal side displays to the eyefinity.

As for HIS, thats pritty good news, I could potentially upgrade my Geforce 6200 in one of my media pc's.

13. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

@ Baggpuss
    It's using a ATI for main graphic + a Nvidia for physic that is prevented. While you can use two Nvidia one for physic + one for the rest easily

14. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

If it handles 1080p then I say it's a great little card, might even handle the sims or older C&C games. (thinking of kids pc or a htpc) I still have a couple of old pci cards and an agp matrox card somewhere so would be interested to see how this performs in comparison.

Keep it up HIS!

15. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Nvidia does restrict the use of physx when another brand of gfx card is detected, however there is a patch to work around this.

Patch.
    Source.

16. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

It's good that they're filling this gap in the market. No new PC's should have any pci slots, but people still need to upgrade older systems.

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I thought those little DVI-HDMI adapters were pretty common.

18. Chappy

Chappy What's a Dremel?

Thank You! ATI Radeon for Giving my HP Pavilion a42d 2002 Edition a Power to Play HD Movies & Non Enthusiast 3D Games. . .

I this out Already?

19. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Any idea how many PPD could be obtained by one of these?

Figuring some of my Folding machines are old P4s with ATX motherboards sporting 4 empty PCI slots...

20. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

Never mind PCI, someone needs to make a DX11 AGP card (please!).

Tags: Add Tags