bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Jan 2011, 09:36   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
iPhone Preview: Dead Space

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...ew-dead-space/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 13:22   #2
sausages
Banned

sausages has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
lengthy singleplayer games aren’t an easy fit with the platform
Hmm, lengthy single player games are my favourite thing. The iPhone already has far too many little puzzle type games that I can play while waiting 10 minutes for the bus, so I really want more proper games. One of my best so far is The Quest, but a shooter would be nice too.
sausages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 14:28   #3
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Good god, Dead Space in your pocket, whatever next.

I can just imagine somebody playing this on a crowded train and who ever is next to them seeing some necromorph dismemberment when they sneek a peek or if the person playing has the volume level at typical iphone/ipod levels.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 17:34   #4
ghost55
Needs More Jiggawats!

ghost55 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just want a handheld gaming device with dual ANALOG sticks!
ghost55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 21:48   #5
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
But can it run Crysis?

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Thermaltake Smart M 850W - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 23:14   #6
sausages
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
I just want a handheld gaming device with dual ANALOG sticks!
ME TOO! I usually dislike playing iPhone games that has a virtual analogue pad. It hurts my thumb and it feels weird and I just really dislike it. That's why I try to only buy games that involve touching the screen with my finger tip - which luckily is most games.

But even if the iPhone just had one real analogue stick on the left, I would love that. There are some good iphone games that use the virtual analogue stick and I can't buy them because of that :/
Old 4th Jan 2011, 00:07   #7
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc View Post
But can it run Crysis?
You remember how for so many years the great challenge of any new hardware was "Can we run Doom on it?".

Crysis is the new Doom.
Old 4th Jan 2011, 13:51   #8
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The problem with running "big" games on these rather small devices is that, however technically great both software and hardware is, you lose the immersion by looking at a 3-4" screen. Ok, the iPad has a larger screen, but it's still not enough in my opinion.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2011, 18:18   #9
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
The problem with running "big" games on these rather small devices is that, however technically great both software and hardware is, you lose the immersion by looking at a 3-4" screen. Ok, the iPad has a larger screen, but it's still not enough in my opinion.
The biggest problem is that the battery turns to jelly
murraynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 22:37   #10
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Gaming device with dual analogs? Hows does this look:

http://www.openpandora.org/

Little ugly and a pain in the ass to order, but it's.... oh god, I almost wrote "impressive".... DOH!
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2011, 00:43   #11
sausages
Banned

I actually got really nicely immersed in the two big RPG's I've played on iPhone. The Quest was great and really memorable for me, and I felt like I was there. I hold the screen quite close to my face so that helps, but really I love gaming on the iPhone, and that game in particular.

I think with proper games though, I'm always going to play them on my PC first and experience them 'properly'. To then be able to play them on the go is just a bonus.

As for that Pandora box, I really like it. If it can run dosbox and play my old favourites then I'd quite like one. The problem is that it's not a phone and it doesn't play films and music (I think). So I'm still going to have to take my iPhone with me everywhere, and I would have to take that in addition. My phone has one pocket and my wallet and keys have the other pocket, so if I had an extra device like this, I would have to carry it, and if I was going to have to carry something extra, I would rather just have a good laptop. Once these little pocket portables finally evolve in to an all-in-one device though, I can say goodbye to my iPhone. It's bigger and less slick looking, but being able to play dosbox games would make it worth it, to me.

Last edited by sausages; 6th Jan 2011 at 00:50.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 20:50   #12
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I must admit, I am kinda of torn between the Pandora and the 4th gen iPod Touch. App and game support on the iPod will be far better but the Pandora does have the analog sticks and dual SDHC cards... I'm also unsure about the Pandora's video playback capabilities. I haven't seen anything about how well the decoding features of it's chipset (which IIRC is the same one the 3rd gen iPod Touch uses) are leveraged, but it would be pretty cool to stand a Pandora on the train table in front of me on my epic commute home instead of awkwardly balancing an iPod somewhere. I don't have any problem carrying lots of little devices around with me, I like my phone and games console to not share a battery.

Still, that Pandora is very hard to get and *expensive*...

EDIT: One Google search later, I find VLC has been ported to the Pandora. Still need to find out what res/complexity H264 it can handle.

EDIT2: It has trouble with 576P h.264 unless you overclock it. I think I'll get an iPod Touch.

Last edited by StoneyMahoney; 6th Jan 2011 at 21:01.
Old 7th Jan 2011, 10:33   #13
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I see a problem brewing here ... if any games last longer than 10 minutes on the iPhone or any small mobile device, are you going to mark them down?

Maybe you need one of the team who spends more time commuting to review the bigger stuff?

Would it be any good on a 12 hour flight?
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 10:52   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
I see a problem brewing here ... if any games last longer than 10 minutes on the iPhone or any small mobile device, are you going to mark them down?

Maybe you need one of the team who spends more time commuting to review the bigger stuff?

Would it be any good on a 12 hour flight?
I have an hour-long commute, actually

It's not a matter of how long the game lasts anyway, but the details of the saving system. If a game is developed for a multi-purpose and obviously mobile platform then it's surely not too much to ask that it be designed with a save-anywhere system?

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 11:22   #15
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
I have an hour-long commute, actually

It's not a matter of how long the game lasts anyway, but the details of the saving system. If a game is developed for a multi-purpose and obviously mobile platform then it's surely not too much to ask that it be designed with a save-anywhere system?
Totally agree! In this day-and-age it should not even be called a feature, more so a basic requirement!
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2011, 10:41   #16
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

I guess the DS has the feature that the Apple devices need to ape somehow - you close the lid, the game is paused and it goes to sleep on the spot. Perfect for changing trains or getting on/off the bus.