bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Jan 2011, 16:34   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
AMD details Radeon HD 6000M series

AMD has outed the specs of its Radeon HD 6000M series of mobile GPUs ahead of CES.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...eon-hd-6000m/1
Old 4th Jan 2011, 16:36   #2
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
i would be happy with ~ 9800 performance with Low power draw but there is little comparison ever done between desktop and Laptop Components

I.e how does the MSI GX740 compare to my gaming machine
Old 4th Jan 2011, 16:47   #3
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
So, anything below 6500m is pretty worthless as gaming chips....

From what i can see the 6500m is about equal to my 4850 (bandwidth terms), although it is DX11...
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2011, 17:08   #4
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
I think my Mobility 5650 is a nice GPU, curious to see how this cuts out against it.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2011, 18:13   #5
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler

From what i can see the 6500m is about equal to my 4850 (bandwidth terms), although it is DX11...
is this right? do you have any benches
Old 4th Jan 2011, 18:20   #6
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler

is this right? do you have any benches
How could i have benchmarks on a product that isnt even on sale yet????......

When it comes to GPU performance, Bandwidth is everything..my desktop 4850 has 64GB of Memory Bandwidth, this new 6500m has 57GB...

You work it out......
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2011, 21:15   #7
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hmm, thing is, if they're using the new kind of shaders (clusters of 4) would it be more SPUs or less? Because a rough comparison to Nvidia's SPU count would be dramatically different if it was in 4s.
Old 4th Jan 2011, 21:27   #8
alwayssts
Minimodder

alwayssts has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
How could i have benchmarks on a product that isnt even on sale yet????......

When it comes to GPU performance, Bandwidth is everything..my desktop 4850 has 64GB of Memory Bandwidth, this new 6500m has 57GB...

You work it out......
Performance gained from doubling bandwidth is ~16%. That's hardly spectacular compared to a reasonable bump in core architecture, granted matching capabilities of both is key.

Just out of curiosity, are we to assume 6400 is Caicos, 6600/6700 are (perhaps neutered) Turks? Sure looks like it, and they're both 5D (as expected.)

With Llano coming, half of this stack will be close-enough to redundant in AMD laptops (unless people want to crossfire with these parts, making a respectable gaming laptop) later in the year. I guess we know their true purpose though, eh?

6900 is Barts. Wow, that's a big ol' clock dump to make it (6850) mobile capable.

I'm personally gonna wait for the 192-bit half-of-whatever-Cayman's-successor-is before upgrading my laptop. Pair it with a Trinity and we could have some pretty bad-ass mobile setups......................................in 2012.
alwayssts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2011, 23:18   #9
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd be interested to see the difference in gaming power between the 6300M and the built in Sandybridge GPU's.
It may give us an idea about Fusion performance in the future.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 02:06   #10
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton View Post
Hmm, thing is, if they're using the new kind of shaders (clusters of 4) would it be more SPUs or less? Because a rough comparison to Nvidia's SPU count would be dramatically different if it was in 4s.
It would be fewer SPUs for a given performance target, but these are supposedly the older VLIW5 shaders (which is fine, assuming they're really 6000-series chips).
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 03:41   #11
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I see, I just wanted a simple metric.

Of course the performance can't really be gauged seeing as the Barts core was quite impressive in terms of performance anyhow.
Old 5th Jan 2011, 06:06   #12
CowBlazed
Supermodder

CowBlazed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The 4850 has 800 stream processors versus the 400 much newer and improved stream processors on the 6500M, all things said and done I'd give the slight advantage to the 4850 performance wise. That's still great for a mid range mobile GPU which has DX11 support, morphological AA etc.
CowBlazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 10:45   #13
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmm improvements in the mid range (6500m looks good but only if it uses GDDR5) whilst the high end looks like a incremental jump rather than a revolution. The 256bit memory interface on the 69xx mobility looks to be the only real jump over the previous gen.

It is slightly disappointing when you consider that the HD58xx mobility series were barely faster than the HD48xx mobility series they replaced.

I was really hoping to see at least 1120 shaders (HD6870) in the top end mobility GPU as the mobility lineup is starting to get left behind by the desktop line-up.

What really annoys me though is that with the HD48xx mobility line-up ATI/AMD proved they were able to take the full GPU and shoehorn it into a mobility package. Since then though despite seeing desktop GPUS get more efficient (Cypress vs RV770) the mobility lineup got a mere incremental DX update rather than a true performance improvement (800SP Juniper Part was made into the HD5870m and HD5850m).
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2011, 11:44   #14
Elton
Proud Model M User

Well xaser the HD58xx needed to use the lower end chip so it wouldn't melt the casing..or so I think.

that or they couldn't be bothered to make a more powerful GPU. However with that said, the Cypress core had really diminishing returns compared to the Barts and Cayman cores anyways so the smaller SP count is irrelevant given the better arch.