bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Jan 2011, 12:50   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Samsung unveils ultra-slim Surface table

Samsung ditches the bulky designs of previous Microsoft Surface Tables, in favour of an ultra-slim profile.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...slim-surface/1
Old 7th Jan 2011, 13:31   #2
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
actually looks nice, but be sure to use coasters!!
Old 7th Jan 2011, 13:32   #3
mpr
Multimodder

mpr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If the price of entry wasn't ridiculously high... I could potentially see myself owning one. Though honestly I think the most it would be used for is a TV Guide and maybe web browsing while watching tele
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 13:53   #4
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
yeah price is an issue, but that table looks sweet
Old 7th Jan 2011, 14:12   #5
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now we can have the radio times IN our coffee table rather than ON it
Old 7th Jan 2011, 15:04   #6
line2008
What is this "dremel" you speak of?

line2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelline2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelline2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelline2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
RTS games would be awsome on this. starcraft 2 cheesecake
Old 7th Jan 2011, 15:26   #7
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
pfft, csi have been using these for years. old news.

on a more serious note, looks good, more software to develop. You could play snooker with a pair of rulers. I patent & copyright that idea btw.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 15:29   #8
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nicey, me likey!
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 17:05   #9
Xen0phobiak
SMEGHEADS!

Xen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I loved this sort of thing when I saw it in Merricks office in The Island.

World of Tanks profile
Xen0phobiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 18:02   #10
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i can see these replacing workstations in upper management.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 18:04   #11
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hey price is an issue but like all new tech that will change... man I could certainly see myself owning a couple of these through out the house... coffee table version, side table versions... basically like Tony Starks joint lol that would be awesome.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 18:16   #12
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by line2008
RTS games would be awsome on this. starcraft 2 cheesecake
Or Defcon, then proceed to kit out your living room to resemble some form of war room.
Old 7th Jan 2011, 19:43   #13
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus09
but be sure to use coasters!!
THIS!

I would not want to be putting anything on my brand new ridiculously expensive screen.
Old 8th Jan 2011, 05:09   #14
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
and by "want to buy" you mean spend at LEAST $3000? MS surface is ridiculously expensive.

considering the fact that these touch tables are incredibly impractical for everyday use (they're really just cool gimmicky tools), i don't think any 1 person in their right mind would pay for MS surface, and probably not the table either.

these tables are, however, very useful for workstations, public services, and anything that requires multiple people. i'm sure you could do a few games for it too. unfortunately, from what i've seen in MS surface, its VERY slow. the animations are smooth but it just has a terrible response rate.
there is 1 guy who developed linux's multi-touch in 2007 and his product:
* is free
* doesn't create additional processes
* is MUCH more responsive than MS surface
* has other PRACTICAL features like multiple mouse pointers and multiple keyboards that can work on separate applications
* and is currently built into xorg
Old 8th Jan 2011, 13:01   #15
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
and by "want to buy" you mean spend at LEAST $3000? MS surface is ridiculously expensive.

considering the fact that these touch tables are incredibly impractical for everyday use (they're really just cool gimmicky tools), i don't think any 1 person in their right mind would pay for MS surface, and probably not the table either.

these tables are, however, very useful for workstations, public services, and anything that requires multiple people. i'm sure you could do a few games for it too. unfortunately, from what i've seen in MS surface, its VERY slow. the animations are smooth but it just has a terrible response rate.
* is free
* has other PRACTICAL features like multiple mouse pointers and multiple keyboards that can work on separate applications
Yeah but it's linux so no one would use it.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2011, 13:13   #16
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag

* is free
Zing
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2011, 13:48   #17
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Thats a very dismissive and somewhat ignorant comment. A lot of people would use it, especially considering the potential it offers that MS surface doesn't (there are some features only Surface does like detecting objects but that technology isn't practical for how much it costs to do that). It won't surprise me if more people end up using MPX (linux's multi-input service) than MS surface.

But lets say your statement is a fact - thats completely besides my point. My point is that 1 unpaid guy released an advanced, very responsive, and resource efficient multi-input service within 1 year while MS Surface uses an entire overpaid development team that STILL hasn't released the product after several years of development, and their product is slow and has some gimmicky unnecessary features.

Its not about who uses it, its more about how MS will hire just about anyone to develop for them and they end up releasing products that SHOULD be much better. Visa and xbox are good examples.
Old 8th Jan 2011, 20:17   #18
Furymouse
Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Furymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
I believe they may have been going for humor....

I would have the MCP's voice on there so quick. And yes the main purpose for these is to placate us board game nerds who want a little more explosion with our RISK
Old 8th Jan 2011, 20:20   #19
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Still waiting for someone to show me what these are good for.

Due to the size of the screen they are going to continue to be expensive, and I haven't yet seen anyone propose a use for them that is particularly, well, useful.
Old 9th Jan 2011, 01:49   #20
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
Still waiting for someone to show me what these are good for.

Due to the size of the screen they are going to continue to be expensive, and I haven't yet seen anyone propose a use for them that is particularly, well, useful.
Would be useful for finding where missing terraformers are.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote