bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jan 2011, 12:30   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Super Talent Previews 2.4GB/sec RAIDDrive II

Super Talent has previewed its RAIDDrive II PCI-E SSD, offering 2.4GB/sec read-speeds.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...e-ii-preview/1
Old 10th Jan 2011, 12:33   #2
Technobod
Finally bought a desktop :D

Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.
I expect you'd have to remortgage to afford one, but i'd still like to see the boot times

PersonalBest: i7 2600k @5.2Ghz 1.53V on a Fenrir, GTX560 @1006Mhz, 4632Mhz [@ASUS+BT OC Summit '11]
[Weihrauch HW100S .22 + HW100KT .177 + HW97K .22][Hawke Panoramas 4x-12x x3]
Technobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 12:37   #3
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Any word on what sort of oomph they've got inside that thing? Or is it designed to leech off the inevitable 8 core processors it's users will have?
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 12:40   #4
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.
This will be ultimately useful for games. Instant load times cheesecake.
Old 10th Jan 2011, 12:54   #5
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
i'll take 2, oh wait, sorry can't afford that
Old 10th Jan 2011, 13:08   #6
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Never saw a SSD with active cooling. It must have the size of a graphic card...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 13:09   #7
Neonhalo
Generic 250w Grey PSU

Neonhalo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
DO WANT this beautiful piece of hardware.

DO NOT WANT the bill, debt and inevitable bankrupcy that follows purchasing one.
Neonhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 13:34   #8
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
2TB SSD at 2.4GB/s read? 50,000?
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 13:43   #9
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i assume it comes with an added security system as well? i wouldn't trust this thing being 10ft from me. I don't want to know how much this thing's gonna cost.
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 14:53   #10
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Any idea when we'll be getting TRIM support on RAID arrays?
Old 10th Jan 2011, 15:47   #11
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Give it 5 years atleast before "normal" people can afford something like this.
2TB is awesome and of course the speeds are "melt the silicon" fast but cmon that thing is going to cost more than a high end sports car.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 15:57   #12
Hakuren
Multimodder

Hakuren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ctor
It is not to cool NAND. It is RAID ROC cooler. Without cooling such chip can hit 70-100C (depend on a chip) in no time at all.

Honestly I don't get it who need things like that. Few SSDs on Areca 1261[2 GB cache] in RAID0 deliver well over 1500 MB/s and it is more than enough, for rest of data there are classic HDDs. 2TB NAND is only for people who have no understanding of money ($heiks, mafia, footballers, oligarchs and other scumbags).

50000 Pounds, that is jolly optimistic, even for MLC version. They should focus on SLC only as it is purely industry oriented product.
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 17:27   #13
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ctor
i've seen SSDs with a cooling system but only on a PCI-e slot. it is about the size of many video cards but remember, this is using an 8x slot, so its not AS big as it appears, but its still huge.

depending on the price of this, personally i would rather just go for a RAM drive, which is faster. however, RAM drives are a lot less likely to get up to 2TB, its hard enough to get them up to just 1/4 of a TB.
Old 10th Jan 2011, 18:40   #14
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would a testie be enough?!
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 20:03   #15
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
some PCI-E SSDs are not bootable, is this? or do you still need a normal sata drive to boot and then once in windows you can access this?
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2011, 22:48   #16
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
Any idea when we'll be getting TRIM support on RAID arrays?
+1
SSD Raid is useless without it.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 02:23   #17
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck View Post
+1
SSD Raid is useless without it.
Wrong. Have a look at how SF-1222 arrays are doing before and after thrashing, or any PCIe solution based on these chips. Nice and efficient garbage collection is now working as well as trim.

Things evolve, or are people moaning that we're not at 7 GHz retail yet, after how fast the 90s was at MHz evolution?
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 03:55   #18
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It looks longer than alot of graphics cards. Too bad you can Quad SLI GTX 580's for less though
Old 11th Jan 2011, 15:29   #19
thetrashcanman
Angel headed hipsters

thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
2tb ssd? and those speeds are mental 2.4Gb/s just insane, I though 500mb/s was vast when the ocz pcie drivers where released, oh yess and I will be robbing a bank to buy one, anyone wanna join me? if we where to rob the bank of england we might be able to afford 2 perhaps?
Old 8th Feb 2011, 02:15   #20
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrashcanman View Post
2tb ssd? and those speeds are mental 2.4Gb/s just insane, I though 500mb/s was vast when the ocz pcie drivers where released, oh yess and I will be robbing a bank to buy one, anyone wanna join me? if we where to rob the bank of england we might be able to afford 2 perhaps?
Count me in. If we can rob as much as we would need, let's take Crucial C300 256GB range and be happy
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote