bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:02   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
CES 2011: Crucial Details C300 Successor

Faster performance, 25nm NAND chips and a new name.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...en-sata-6gbp/1
Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:27   #2
thelaw
Cynical B*stard

thelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysis
hmm higher read/write speeds are all fine and dandy thought but i would rather much perfer to see a larger capacity SDD produced that is cheaper for consumers or competitive in a way that is makes a large capacity HDD purchase no longer cost effective.
thelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:32   #3
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaw
hmm higher read/write speeds are all fine and dandy thought but i would rather much perfer to see a larger capacity SDD produced that is cheaper for consumers or competitive in a way that is makes a large capacity HDD purchase no longer cost effective.
Dream on. The price of flash is very closely linked to the fab process used. With intel now producing 25nm chips (everyone else is stuck on 32nm or higher) they can produce higher density chips which means lower costs. But they are also less durable (3000 write life expectancy, down from 5000 on 32nm). There will come a point where you cant get any smaller using the same technology without having life span measured in days. If they cant get below 20nm for years, prices wont change much.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:34   #4
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Could we finally see a 1/GB high-performance SSD?
That's not, strictly speaking, a very good price, though, is it?
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:40   #5
Whitesky
Multimodder

Whitesky has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOL.. I just bit the bullet and bought the existing C300 128Gb 4 days ago, to replace a slower OCZ Vertex 1 128.

Maybe upgrading during CES wasn't such a hot idea..
Zalman GS1000 | 2x HPL2465w's 24" | EVGA GTX295 | OCZ 120Gb Vertex SSD | 1Tb WD Caviar Black | 1Tb Samsung F3 | LG DVD/Bluray | 12Gb OCZ | ASUS P6T D2 | Core i7 920 | Enermax Rev85+ 1050w | Logitech G19 | Logitech G5 | MurderMod sleeving | Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Whitesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:51   #6
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Lol, why the hell would you ditch an Indilinx drive? They're crazy fast as it is anyway. Still hanging on to my Crucial M225 until it dies.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 13:14   #7
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farting Bob
But they [25nm drives] are also less durable (3000 write life expectancy, down from 5000 on 32nm).
Really? I didn't know that. Why would a die shrink affect the life expectancy? It's not like modern CPU's don't live as long as old CPU's.

3000 doesn't seem like a very big number for a boot drive with various editing software on it...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 13:16   #8
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Modern CPUs don't contain megabyte after megabyte of NAND flash. It's completely different technology - and it's hard enough to read at the best of times.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 15:43   #9
thetrashcanman
Angel headed hipsters

thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
oh my good god I can't wait to try one of these drives, they sound awesome, especially the write speeds, and the price drop (fingers crossed) might be able to swap my 64gb for a 128gb ssd now
Old 11th Jan 2011, 16:17   #10
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
to fast for my laptop lol so no I dont feel burnt by my purchase of an ssd (it was also tiny)

however I dont really see the need for it on my main pc.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 18:19   #11
Fordy
Multimodder

Fordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
64GB C300 for 64 = Impulse purchase.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 22:43   #12
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes
Modern CPUs don't contain megabyte after megabyte of NAND flash. It's completely different technology - and it's hard enough to read at the best of times.
I appreciate it's obviously different tech - comparing to CPU's was the only obvious thing I could think of that also experienced die shrinks. I was just expressing my surprise really.

Does anyone know why it affects the lifespan of it? I generally expect new generations of technology to improve on what's gone before, not regress. I'm planning for an entirely new build within the next 2/3 months, and I'm about 90% certain I'll be having an SSD for the OS, (it was going to be a C300 till I saw this) but if longevity is a problem, I think it's something I'll have to look into...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 22:43   #13
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I'm going to be spoilt for choice in a few months when I upgrade, I'll happily drop 150 on a 128Gb high performance SSD.
hmm, decent SATA 6Gb/s is a must on my next mobo then.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 23:32   #14
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
I need cheap and superb SSD 1TB right now to say goodbye to old HDDs.

Btw, I have a C300 128GB, love it!
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2011, 03:55   #15
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
Lol, why the hell would you ditch an Indilinx drive? They're crazy fast as it is anyway. Still hanging on to my Crucial M225 until it dies.
Still loving my M225 too

Harry, why did you feel the need to add ", though," into every sentence? The last time you even used a full stop instead by accident! "Most importantly. though,"

A , isn't needed before though, just after.
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2011, 14:32   #16
JoeK
Multimodder

JoeK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That explains wy the c300 has been dropping in price lately, for the people complaining about the price, do you think the previous gen c300 will drop in price to make it more affordable when the new gen comes out?
Old 12th Feb 2011, 23:48   #17
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
To bump this, do we have any further details on said new Crucial drive? I could do with a 512GB SSD in my pc.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2011, 23:52   #18
Salty Wagyu
moo

Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Aye, going to wait until my Intel dies before I'd get an SSD upgrade too. Pretty sure going from a slower SSD to a faster SSD isn't going to be as noticeable as going from HDD to SSD, it's all about the fast 0.1ms seek time that makes the difference.
Old 13th Feb 2011, 01:15   #19
Fordy
Multimodder

Fordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
I could do with a 512GB SSD in my pc.
I could do with that kind of disposable cash.
Old 14th Feb 2011, 02:11   #20
thelaw
Cynical B*stard

thelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysisthelaw can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
To bump this, do we have any further details on said new Crucial drive? I could do with a 512GB SSD in my pc.
Q1 OF 2011 is what is being talked about in other forums, some companies it seems have started production so it will be another month or two i would imagine to see them hitting shops...

Around 160 is being talked about for the 128gb version very much in line with the current c300 prices i would expect..

The 256gb c300 is at 350 there abouts, would hate to see what the 512GB C400 comes out price wise i too wish i had that sort of disposable cash..
thelaw is offline   Reply With Quote