bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:07   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
OCZ Leaves RAM Market

OCZ has announced its imminent departure from the DRAM market, and will instead concentrate on SSDs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-dram-market/1
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:09   #2
Brett89
Ultramodder

Brett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run Crysis
Wow, I never would have expected such a big player in the market to up and leave. I've always known OCZ for their ram. I mean SSDs are in a similar forte, not the exact same but similar and I'm sure they'll do SSDs well, but I saw this and just said aloud,"WHAT?!" That was my go-to RAM brand, oh well such is life.

Dell M4600 i7-2860QM, 32GB DDR3, Quadro 1000M, 256GB SSD, 1920x1080
Brett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:11   #3
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is unexpected!
What's next - Corsair ditching their range in favor of head-phones?
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:14   #4
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
It's probably all about profit margins. RAM is almost a commodity item nowadays.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:15   #5
infekted.one
Multimodder

infekted.one has yet to learn the way of the Dremelinfekted.one has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
no words.......
PROJECT : CLU
The absolute genius that is JK quoted " You can't polish a poo, but you can roll it in glitter"
infekted.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:18   #6
hrp8600
Modder

hrp8600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is there any maufacture you can bank on being there in 12 months ?
just of the top of my head Abit , BFG Now OCZ my prefered Suppliers of parts are falling by the way side.
Am sure there are more but these spring to mind. Non seam to be going bust , just moving on to other things.
hrp8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:19   #7
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll be good and baffled if Micron follows suit.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:21   #8
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
I guess if other companies keep undercutting prices, market saturation causing profit margins fall, general lack of performance difference between high end and low end products theres very little reason to keep competing. Seems like a wise choice.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:28   #9
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
That is a shame. I always liked OCZ ram, even though I use Corsair for 99% of my ram.

I was going to use 2x1gb of Corsair DDR2 in my soon to arrive mini itx board, and sell my 2x1gb of OCZ DDR2. Might have to do it the other way round, just for old times sake
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:28   #10
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow, again, very surprised.
Both my best sets of RAM are OCZ, not good for RMA :/
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:32   #11
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
Wow, again, very surprised.
Both my best sets of RAM are OCZ, not good for RMA :/
Hmm yes. My OCZ DDR2 has a lifetime warranty. I wonder how they will honor warranty claims, as the company isn't going bust, just ceasing to create the product or a suitable alternative...
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:39   #12
karlosaneson
What's a Dremel?

karlosaneson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is this going to affect their excellent lifetime guarantee with the ram, which I have used twice over the last 5 years and is the only reason why I bought my second lot of ram.
karlosaneson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:40   #13
Indybird
Why are you reading this?

Indybird has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is surprising indeed...i used to buy ocz all the time. I'm glad they're staying in the ssd business though cause I'm looking to buy a revodrive soon
Indybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:43   #14
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Most of the so called manufacturers are dong nothing else then adding a heatspreader and a label anyways.

The parts used are all coming form Elpida, Hynix, Infineon, Renesas, Samsung or Toshiba and nowadays it's very hard to tell which parts are used in the final product, if you don't buy something without a heatspreader, where you can directly look at the parts.

So what I do is, I go with the old traditional one in this business, aka Kingston or I buy Samsung or Infineon original stuff.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:46   #15
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
never been a fan of them. had their platinum DDR2, and wasn't very good. have to run exactly at specified settings otherwise it won't work. unlike the many Corsair kits i've had, where it allows for a huge range of options.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:49   #16
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
Micron is a memory manufacturer. OCZ was not. OCZ was a circuit board, label and laser etched aluminium reseller, like most other DIMM 'manufacturers'.

I find it entertaining to watch so many people ascribe value to nothing more than a name on a plastic label or a heat spreader. It is really more sad to watch the collective PC builder enthusiast community be so uninformed, though.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:54   #17
djzic
Bokehlicious!

djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Jeesus. What next, AMD ditching CPUs?

Cam: Canon 400D | 35mm f/2.8 | Helios 44-2
djzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:54   #18
Matticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman View Post
Micron is a memory manufacturer. OCZ was not. OCZ was a circuit board, label and laser etched aluminium reseller, like most other DIMM 'manufacturers'.

I find it entertaining to watch so many people ascribe value to nothing more than a name on a plastic label or a heat spreader. It is really more sad to watch the collective PC builder enthusiast community be so uninformed, though.
I think you will find it is akin to saying "I like Asda's apples". You know the store didn't make them, but you know they chose that type(memory), that packaging(heatspreader/label) and they (Asda/OCZ) are providing you with the finished product and are the ones who you deal with in terms of support and warranty.

I found my OCZ DDR2 to clock a hell of a lot better than the Corsair DDR2 ever did, so while they didn't make the memory itself. The package they put together, which is afterall what the customer will get was better than the package Corsair had put together at the time.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:55   #19
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin

The difference is the "name" in this case is OCZ, who offer a lifetime warranty on their RAM. Names mean a lot in business. Profit and loss can be made or broken on a name. Customer service is tagged to a name as well. In this case, the market has lost a VERY good name in terms of customer service.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 18:02   #20
thetrashcanman
Angel headed hipsters

thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
what, when did this happen?! why would they only concentrate on ssd's especially when there such a expensive product at the moment, not viable in a mainstream market, granteed nand prices will come down £1/per Gb ssd anyone? but still won't be anywhere near something like a samsung f3 1tb spinpoint, £40 for 1tb, now thats value for money, I feel quite sad actually, they also made some really good looking ram, I was just looking on there website at there liquid cooled ram, looked awesome