bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Jan 2011, 13:54   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Google TV Getting ARM Compatibility?

Google TV is reportedly going to support ARM chips, as well as Intel's Atom.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...oogle-tv-arm/1
Old 14th Jan 2011, 14:23   #2
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Not interested in Google TV so not sure why this would effect me or many others. Intels profits way above forecast anyway, especially in the areas ARM, AMD were supposed to be gaining ground which was the Server market.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2011, 14:24   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
This would definitely be a good thing, especially with how much more powerful ARM is becoming!
Old 14th Jan 2011, 17:13   #4
mike87d
What's a Dremel?

mike87d has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, the switch would mean quicker adoption of the Google TV platform among the masses which is something I support. I remember when I was first exposed to Google TV at work (DISH Network) back in September... I instantly fell in love and realized that this would be the future of TV.It's been almost 3 months since I bought mine and the simplicity of how it converges the entire internet and my DISH Network programming and DVR contents into one seamless interface amazes me. Like I said, this is the future and I think Google TV will end up being the platform everyone uses.
mike87d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2011, 17:34   #5
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When I buy a new TV in the next year or two, it'll need to be 1080HD, LED and have iPlayer.
I couldn't care less about Google TV.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2011, 17:57   #6
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
When I buy a new TV in the next year or two, it'll need to be 1080HD, LED and have iPlayer.
I couldn't care less about Google TV.
in a year or two the next standard of Hi-Def will be out... 1600P unless the roadmap for Blu-Ray changed as it said something like 2012.

anyhow ARM is cheaper and well its not like it has to support a full OS so it makes sense.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2011, 18:11   #7
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Weren't Intel reportedly distancing themselves from Google TV recently? I guess now we know why..
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2011, 18:47   #8
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Atom is on borrowed time anyway.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2011, 19:57   #9
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Not interested in Google TV so not sure why this would effect me or many others. Intels profits way above forecast anyway, especially in the areas ARM, AMD were supposed to be gaining ground which was the Server market.
Profits doesn't equal market share. And ARM is just starting in the server market.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2011, 20:39   #10
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Profits doesn't equal market share. And ARM is just starting in the server market.
Actual on these reports it does. Intel have put their huge increase in revenue on the server market.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2011, 12:09   #11
Yoy0YO
Lurky Lurker

Yoy0YO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sorry, I'm a bit confused at what ARM is. Sometimes I read x86 thrown around with google tv, now nVidia are on the ARM bandwagon with tegra 2 and all.
Is ARM another type of processor thats not compatible with x86? something in laymans terms would be wonderful.

I think it'd be great to get google TV linked with ARM though. That new Motorola Atrix with the dock thing allows for a linux sort of PC interface, but what they should include is a dock with your TV with HDMI out and then your phone will instantly become a Google TV interface.
The dock comes with a USB port and a Mini HDMI port and a cradle and a wireless keyboard. The dock/keyboard combo could be sold as a universal google tv dock too. Neat.

Man, google should intergrate chromeOS with android. Instead of the Atrix going into linux, it should boot into something more alike to ChromeOS, and Google TV with a TV set.

So many possibilities.
Old 16th Jan 2011, 13:37   #12
thetrashcanman
Angel headed hipsters

thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thetrashcanman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm not really bothered about goggle tv, but assuming this is true I am glad someone is giving intel a run for there money
Old 17th Jan 2011, 13:52   #13
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoy0YO
Sorry, I'm a bit confused at what ARM is. Sometimes I read x86 thrown around with google tv, now nVidia are on the ARM bandwagon with tegra 2 and all.
Is ARM another type of processor thats not compatible with x86? something in laymans terms would be wonderful.
In a nutshell (feel free to correct me on this):

ARM produce designs for chips that are not compatible with x86, they're a whole different way of doing things. Typically they are used for low-power devices like smartphones.

Point of note: ARM don't actually make the chips, they just liscence out the architecture for others to manufacturer. So the likes of Samsung can manufacturer their own chips for their devices, which is much more preferable than having to buy them in from Intel.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2011, 14:09   #14
Th3Maverick
Multimodder

Th3Maverick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoy0YO
Most basic difference is that ARM is RISC and x86 is CISC. But for real details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture