bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:09   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
PC Hardware Buyer's Guide, January 2011

As you can probably tell from the format of this article, we won’t be publishing our usual buyer's guide for the month of January. This is largely because there's a heck of a lot of cool stuff around the corner, and if we put something up this week it will be out of date by next week anyway...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2011/01...-january-2010/
Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:12   #2
mobius
What's a Dremel?

mobius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Presumably you mean January 2011?
mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:14   #3
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post
Presumably you mean January 2011?
Oh damn, you got in just before I fixed that!
Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:20   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice, but - as you say - buying a new rig now rather than waiting a week would be pretty foolish, tempting though it is to get stuck in to Sandy Bridge.
Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:31   #5
smugboy
Minimodder

smugboy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Built pretty much this exact system at the weekend (carried over the GFX card, HD, and a few other bits). I love it but a couple of niggles:

1) Removable Utgard hard drive cage is pig. Quite tricky to get the HD in (think keyhole surgery to screw HD in), but more importantly the HD cage conflicts with the edge mounted SATA ports of theP8P67 mobo. This means that you can't install / remove the hard drive without removing the mobo (and guess what I put the mobo in the case before the HD). Don't think I was doing anything wrong, but maybe I missed a trick

2) Shipping BIOS for this mobo (0402) is a bit rough. For example didn't want to let me install Win 7 on the 1T Samsung F3 (new UEFI partition structure). THere is a work around. Also seems to want to run my 2*4Gb Corsair RAM at 1066 rather than the rated 1600. Need to play with the BIOS/UEFI, as I guess there is an answer there, but plan on a BIOS flash instead/first.

This said though 2500K @ 4GHz (for now) + GTX 460 1GB + the rest of this shiny stuff is a really nice PC. My OC'd C2D is now out to pasture.
smugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:35   #6
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What is this new graphics card release I hear you mention? I'm going to need one very soon
Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:44   #7
Mitcian
Multimodder

Mitcian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
God damn SIMLINKS! I hate thee!
Mitcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 12:50   #8
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the 560 against 570 580 question is one we all want answered.....

will 560>570?

sounds stupid but I think it will
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:15   #9
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I only wonder about the 4GB memory, i've read fiery pleads for more from your staff.

Otherwise, well, we'll have to wait once more. I'd have kicked myself if I'd have bought a i/-950 system one week before sandybridge.

I don't suppose the "new to be announced card" will move to top-end graphics, but we'll see.
Also, I'm looking forwards to a ton of MoBo tests
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:27   #10
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
December's Buyer's Guide was cancelled because we were waiting for the Sandy Bridge info. January's is cancelled because of an impending release of a graphics card.

What's February's guide going to be cancelled for? A super new motherboard that gives a 5% increase/decrease in performance/energy use?
sp4nky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:36   #11
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, if you're waiting for peace and quiet, wait till 6-8 weeks after CeBit
May-June is usually the quiet area hardwarewise
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:36   #12
smugboy
Minimodder

Like Xir I would love to here Bit-tech's (who I respect) view on 4Gb vs. more. I read an article in Tomshardware (who I don't really trust), saying that more makes a big difference (although not measurable in FPs), and went for 8Gb in my Sandybridge upgrade.

Like sp4nky, I am always nervous of the delay strategy (always something better around the corner in PC tech), but I'm glad I waited a couple of months for Sandy Bridge - I nearly bought a i5 760 ~Nov. I also wouldn't buy a GTX 460 now, so I was glad that I upgraded this seperately when it came out, and had one to carry over to my new build. Phased upgrade may be the answer vs. waiting for all the stars to align (i.e. all the cool new components to come through together). Used in this way regular Hardware guides are really useful.
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:42   #13
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"which promises to make most cards in the £150 to £220 price bracket seem utterly archaic" , do you mean the Geforce GTX 560?
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:47   #14
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugboy View Post
Like Xir I would love to here Bit-tech's (who I respect) view on 4Gb vs. more. I read an article in Tomshardware (who I don't really trust), saying that more makes a big difference (although not measurable in FPs), and went for 8Gb in my Sandybridge upgrade.
Maybe you missed this article?
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:53   #15
CAT-THE-FIFTH
Modder

CAT-THE-FIFTH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You do realise you have linked to GTX460SE which has only 288 shaders unlike the normal GTX460 1GB.

Both the GTX460 1GB and HD6850 1GB can be had for around the same price it seems(around the £130 mark).
CAT-THE-FIFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 13:59   #16
smugboy
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljs
Quote:
Maybe you missed this article?
I had skimmed that article, but it seems more about speed than size of memory. The last line says >4Gb if heavy multitasking, but the Tomshardware article talked about other benefits, e.g. general smoothness, GFX memory is better fed leading to less HD driven stutters and objects appearing in view at longer distances rather than popping up when you get close.
Old 19th Jan 2011, 14:01   #17
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox View Post
What is this new graphics card release I hear you mention? I'm going to need one very soon
That'll be the GTX 560 (Ti)
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot View Post
the 560 against 570 580 question is one we all want answered.....

will 560>570?

sounds stupid but I think it will
It can't, simply because there would be no point in the 570! I imagine the 560 will match the 570 when overclocked though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4nky View Post
December's Buyer's Guide was cancelled because we were waiting for the Sandy Bridge info. January's is cancelled because of an impending release of a graphics card.

What's February's guide going to be cancelled for? A super new motherboard that gives a 5% increase/decrease in performance/energy use?
Personally, I think BT are right to hold on for a while; the new tech coming out is quite a change in performance, certainly more than 5% anyway.
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 14:06   #18
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
I had skimmed that article, but it seems more about speed than size of memory. The last line says >4Gb if heavy multitasking, but the Tomshardware article talked about other benefits, e.g. general smoothness, GFX memory is better fed leading to less HD driven stutters and objects appearing in view at longer distances rather than popping up when you get close.
Ahh I see, I haven't read that article actually - I'll go have a quick flick though it.
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 14:36   #19
Foiseworth

Foiseworth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whilst I was really wanting to hear you say 'This is what you should now buy on a budget...', I can't fault you for essentially saying 'If you can hold off buying there is going to be game changing stuff around the corner...'
Foiseworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2011, 15:24   #20
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Whether to hold off or buy now really depends on just how much of an impact those items around the corner are going to have.
When bit-tech tells me to hold off I trust the advice because it's usually due to something signifianct and it hasn't let me down so far.

Since we can safely assume that the 560 release will shake things up in that pricerange, I'm wondering if it's going to affect the higher end market segment.
If people settle on 560s more, will the prices of 570s and 580s come down slightly to make them more attractive, or will nVidia be content to just shift boxes of 560s and keep the 570/580 at premium prices?